Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #1  

Default How to measure bust waist and hips!

This was really helpful to me as I was losing and figuring out my body type/proportions etc. How to really measure the bust-waist-hips. Turns out, I was measuring my HIPS incorrectly, I was placing the measuring tape at the hip bones and not my bum.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...surements.html

Also this site
http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/h...waist-hip.aspx
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I too for the longest time measured at my hip bones too! It wasn't until last year when I realized I was doing it wrong haha Which then made me realize how huge my hips actually are
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks that's very helpful. I have a hard time measuring the bust. Do you do it with/without a bra? And then you have to use the same bra each time cause each bra situates the bust a little differently.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Thanks that's very helpful. I have a hard time measuring the bust. Do you do it with/without a bra? And then you have to use the same bra each time cause each bra situates the bust a little differently.
I do it braless! There's a user here - bralessinbrasil with a blog about it.
Link to blog
From her blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'll give you three other ways to measure and it might be worth it to consider those three measurements when you start trying on bras. All these measurements are taken WITHOUT your bra on.

a. Bend over and measure around your bust (over your nipples). This is a bust measurement.
b. Bend over and measure around each breast separately (over the nipple). This would give you the difference between bust and underbust (so the number used to find your cup size). It's worth it to do this no matter what to know if one breast is larger than the other and if so by how much.
c. Lay on your back and measure around your bust (over your nipples). This is another bust measurement.
- See more at: [url
http://www.bralessinbrasil.com/p/finding-bras-that-fit.html#sthash.DmXgqk6q.dpuf[/url]
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Ahhh I looked everywhere for a diagram like the one posted above! Thankyou!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #6  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Also in regards to measuring one's waist for weight-loss purposes, Dr. Oz recommended that we suck in our tummies all the way when we measure it. That is how I measure my waist and I find it to be an accurate way to do it; there is just so much I can suck my tummy in, so I know that if there is a change in my measurements, it's that I am losing stored fat in that area.

Here 's more info about it: http://www.oprah.com/health/Paging-Dr-Oz/2
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
I do it braless! There's a user here - bralessinbrasil with a blog about it.
Link to blog
From her blog
I'm trying to picture doing this in my mind and the visual alone is making me crack up.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/159/140

Height: 5'2"

There are several web sites that instruct how to measure yourself. I like to measure my bust with my bra on. Yes, I do use the same bra each time.
Girl4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #9  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitens View Post
Also in regards to measuring one's waist for weight-loss purposes, Dr. Oz recommended that we suck in our tummies all the way when we measure it. That is how I measure my waist and I find it to be an accurate way to do it; there is just so much I can suck my tummy in, so I know that if there is a change in my measurements, it's that I am losing stored fat in that area.

I do the same.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/159/140

Height: 5'2"

Interesting regarding sucking in the tummy as much as you can to measure your waist. will try this next time.
Girl4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I didn't know about sucking in the tummy all the way….feel like then my measurements would be inaccurate(just did it, got 24in waist haha normal is 26) I understand the logic behind it, but I always measure standing up and relaxed stomach muscles. That way I get a measurement that corresponds to clothing size and I've found that to be really accurate for me. Very interesting!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitens View Post

I don't get it, why measure with your stomach sucked in? Also the link says to find your belly button and then suck in? But I don't measure at my belly button, I measure my waist which is above my belly button. So this is confusing. I think for some people, trying to measure around their belly button would prove to be way way south of where they need to be measuring their waist no?

Last edited by Palestrina; 02-23-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #13  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

To eliminate the boat.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #14  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I don't get it, why measure with your stomach sucked in? Also the link says to find your belly button and then suck in? But I don't measure at my belly button, I measure my waist which is above my belly button. So this is confusing. I think for some people, trying to measure around their belly button would prove to be way way south of where they need to be measuring their waist no?
Because when you suck in your stomach what you are actually measuring are your organs and your fat, not the bloating, not the air, not the "relaxation" (of letting our tummy just "hang"). And so as you continue losing fat in that area you can actually see the numbers shrinking. If I didn't suck it that number would vary a lot because unless it is totally relaxed (pushing my tummy out), or totally sucked in, there will be varying degrees of relaxation and my measurements would be inaccurate. I don't measure an inch over my belly button though because that's not where my waist is.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote