View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Palestrina

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

As someone who has been in a constant state of turmoil over this I can identify with the people you are referring to. As dieters we have a tendency to get caught up in a win/fail mentality. I'm prone to anxiety and depression and eventhough I haven't tried every single diet out there I had had it up to here with being or not being on a diet. I was sick of the hamster wheel. It takes a while to get sick of it because it's so easy to blame yourself for failing rather than blame the hamsterwheel for throwing you off balance.

Overweight people like me want to herd ourselves into a club, that's why we join forums like this right? We think that skinny people or peopel without food issues can't understand us, we can only find solace in each other. And we diet together, we debate diets together, we look to each other for inspiration. We see people lose 100lbs and we say "that's what I should be doing!"

For me I got off the hamster wheel. I'm focusing on accepting my body as it is, not following any diets, and just trying to respond to my hunger cues (IE). I'm not relying on willpower, or anyone else's diet plan, and I'm not giving up any foods that I love. I'm not blaming any foods for the state of my tush. It's not food that is my problem, it's eating! So that's it for me, no more diets, paying close attention to my hunger, eating foods I like, working really hard to find ways to aleviate my stress other than eating and not worrying too much about the future. This is the only time I have felt at peace with myself, I feel an absence of guilt and that's taking some getting used to, but I gotta tell you - it feels pretty awesome to put take that boulder off my shoulders.

So I don't know what to tell you, everyone has their own journey and women especially young women are bombarded with so many negative messages about our bodies that we're basically taught that we will never be good enough. It took me a long time to realize that and put it behind me. Lend an ear, tell someone they are good enough and not to worry so much. It's all we can do.

"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsession and awareness cannot coexist." - Geneen Roth
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote