Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default 10 lb gain in 1 week?

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while. My highest weight was 196. I went down to 155 in Summer 2011. I then got back into an abusive relationship (dumb mistake) and went back up to 175 by winter 2011. I've been there since.

My life has been really stressful but has been improving. Next month is 1 year out of the abusive relationship. Next summer is 1 year after buying a house by myself and getting a new car after a bad car accident. December 21st I lost my job. I finally starting working again on the 13th. Through all this I ran on my elliptical at least 3 times a week, ate smaller portions, and eliminated pop. No weight loss, but no gain either.

This week I started 2 jobs. One I worked twice this week 5a to 8:30. The other I've been at all week, 9am to 5:30pm. This entire time I'm on my feet. After a week at work I noticed that my stomach seems much bigger than normal. When I weighed myself I was 187!

I have been eating more than normal. However, I only eat when I'm hungry. For breakfast I usually have greek yogurt and a banana. I drink water or diet green tea plus a pop in the afternoon for the caffeine. After running around my job for hours I am so hungry I can't stand it. They offer lunch for free so I've been eating that and a small dinner when I get home (such as baked chicken, veg, and brown rice). I know I'm burning more calories now than I was sitting at home on my butt or sitting at work on my butt, but I cannot figure out how I'm gaining this much this fast.

I can't figure out how this is happening. I need help.
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Water retention. Stress increases cortisol levels. That affects weight loss and can also cause water retention. Plus, you are probably sleeping less. That also affects hormonal balance.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #3  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Height: 5'10"

I agree on the water weight - I just gained 5lbs from water weight alone during my period. Are you near your TOM? Also, convenience foods (even low fat/calorie ones) have tons of sodium. Try packing a snack or a lunch from home to be eaten during work hours. Just because something's free doesn't mean you are required to eat it
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #4  

It's not really convenience foods that they give us. They have chefs on staff that cook us lunch everyday. For instance yesterday was chicken and rice soup, roasted turkey, and stuff for salad. The soup was made from scratch with roasted chicken that they shredded. They also have as much fruit as we want for snacks.. water.. pop.. tea. They even have cereal, milk, yogurt, oatmeal. Of course they do have cookies, chips, pop, ice cream, granola bars.. but I stay away. It's pretty much all the same stuff I have in my own kitchen haha. They may add more salt than I do though.

I haven't had my period in about two months so it may be that coming on. I don't have any other symptoms though.

If I start drinking more water do you think this could help me flush the water weight?

Last edited by Kelli21; 01-18-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #5  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli21 View Post
It's not really convenience foods that they give us. They have chefs on staff that cook us lunch everyday. For instance yesterday was chicken and rice soup, roasted turkey, and stuff for salad. The soup was made from scratch with roasted chicken that they shredded. They also have as much fruit as we want for snacks.. water.. pop.. tea. They even have cereal, milk, yogurt, oatmeal. Of course they do have cookies, chips, pop, ice cream, granola bars.. but I stay away. It's pretty much all the same stuff I have in my own kitchen haha. They may add more salt than I do though.

I haven't had my period in about two months so it may be that coming on. I don't have any other symptoms though.

If I start drinking more water do you think this could help me flush the water weight?
That's awesome that they cook healthily for employees! You're lucky to have that benefit I like to drink lots of water to flush my system, but I'm not sure if it'll help get excess water out of your body or not...either way, drinking more water can't hurt! Eat foods rich in potassium to shed water weight, such as: bananas, avocados, raisins, and apricots. Avoid refined sugar too, as that will cause water retention as well. Good luck!
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

First off-good for you for getting out of that relationship and getting back on your feet!
My weight can easily fluctuate by 5-7lbs due to water retention, TOM, or excess sodium. It always comes back down though within a week. Its pretty much impossible you've eaten anywhere near enough to actually gain 10lbs of fat(upwards of 35000 calories EXTRA from what your body requires to maintain your current weight).
Have you been drinking enough water? With all the running around you're doing make sure your water is on point. And drinking more water will definitely help flush any excess water weight. Maybe cut down on sodium? Are you getting enough sleep? TOM? There are so many variables, so try not to worry too much I like to weigh everyday so I can see the fluctuations and notice what habits cause me to hold onto water weight.
Now if the weight doesn't come off after a week or two then I would suggest looking at your food plan and make sure you are strictly counting your calories and measuring out your food as accurately as possible when its reasonable to do so. If after watching your food intake carefully and you still are gaining weight/holding onto water weight then make an appt with your doctor to rule out any food allergies or any type of medical condition.
Best of luck!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #7  

I'm starting to think it's a mixture of excess sodium and TOM. I've been drinking a lot more water this weekend and it has helped, but I'm also starting to get TOM symptoms. Let's hope it's just that. With being active so much I'm hoping it will help with weight loss. I won't be able to get to the gym besides my two days off so I need to stay active the other 5 days. At my prior job I would just eat and snack all day. With this one in a microbiology lab I definitely can't do that or I'll contaminate everything.

redvelouria - That was the main reason I chose this job. Besides the good pay, the fact that I can have a home cooked meal and healthy snacks for free at work? Major bonus. They even box up leftovers to take home if you want them for dinner. They have gluten free offerings, soy free, dairy free. It's so great.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/256.0/170

Height: 5'5"

You haven't had your period in two months and you're gaining a lot of weight mysteriously?

Have you taken a pregnancy test?
LilMissBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissBee View Post
You haven't had your period in two months and you're gaining a lot of weight mysteriously?

Took the words out of my mouth..
MrsDeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Are you sore/tired after work? it could also be water retention from DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness)
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissBee View Post

Well unless it's immaculate conception...
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Are you sore/tired after work? it could also be water retention from DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness)
I am VERY sore/tired every day from work.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 135/134/120

Height: 5 ft

Default Try meditation

Hello Kelli,

I'm glad to know you got out of that abusive relationship and working too. Aside from the hormonal changes and water retention, I'd like for you to look at another angle. As LoLo 70 has mentioned above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
Water retention. Stress increases cortisol levels. That affects weight loss and can also cause water retention. Plus, you are probably sleeping less. That also affects hormonal balance.
Stress does increase cortisol levels and you have quite a few pressures on your mind not just weight loss. I suggest trying some 5-10 minute meditation before you sleep or early morning. Basically, just sit still and inhale deep, long, slow breaths. As you become more aware of your body, you can start asking your body to just let go of anything that doesn't serve you for your highest good, that can be anything from negative thoughts of your past or boyfriend. For at least 10 minutes just be contented with yourself and see if your body answers you profoundly.

For me, If the the meditation makes me almost fall asleep like 3-4 mins, I take note that I'm sleep deprived and I plan to sleep 1-2 hours early. If I get hungry, I take note that around this time I get hungry and I should eat a bit earlier about this time. This is much more intuitive and you make your own unique fitness regiment based on your bodies needs and not conventional fitness programs.

Remember stress turns on your fight or flight mechanism, the same mechanism our ancestors used in caveman years to survive in the winter. Meaning slower metabolism and more fat storage. In this case instead of us being chased by dinosaurs or starving in the winter we are being attack by media, taxes, bills etc. So if you feel my suggestion could help you anyway I'd love to hear from you.

There's tons of meditation and visualization videos on youtube geared in this topic, one I would recommend is the evening meditation from the Gabriel Method website but I personally prefer my own quite time alone with myself.

I know your day must be tough with two jobs but doing something as small as meditating 10 minutes a day can do wonders to your life and I guarantee you'll feel a whole lot better.

Hang in the Kellie! Just do what your hear tells you!

Nikki
Nikkilovesyoga is offline   Reply With Quote