Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #1  

Default Is anyone calorie counting and doing keto or low carb?

Just wondering if I am the only one doing keto that is calorie counting as well?. Most people incuding on other sites aren't calorie counting whilst on keto. I have been reading studies on keto and a calorie controlled diet and the weightloss is definitely greater - which is why i'm doing it.
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

I am doing that as well... What amount are you keeping your calories? I did some reading and it looks like restricting the calories too much on a keto diet can make the weight loss slow down. I'm glad to hear you've found positive results. I can't say I'm complaining... I've only been doing the keto/calorie counting for 9 days... and I've lost 8 pounds.

And though 8 pounds that quickly seems like a lot, or most likely water weight... I'm already fitting into my size 4 clothes, where I was an 8 before! So I'm content whether it be water weight or fat. LOL
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #3  

I'm sticking to 800 calories. Which for my body is what it needs to lose weight even with keto - my hormones are seriously stuffed!.

Which studies said it can slow down weightloss? That doesn't make sense to me since starvation mode is a myth.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm around 800 too. Sometimes 600 and then sometimes 900. I seem to do okay on it, and don't feel hungry very often.

I will have to look again where I found the text about too low calorie on keto slows it down. I agree with you, I think it's untrue... as it's worked for me now and did about 2 years ago.

Are you craving anything? I want cereal and bread something fierce! (Not to mention a brownie sundae. lol)
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #5  

No I don't feel hungry either. I'm not craving anything luckily. I gave up cereal around 4 years ago along with bread, pasta etc. So it's just a step down from my normal paleo way of eating.

Cravings wouldn't be helping you. That's the problem with those types of carbs they are addictive!.

Have you lost all of your weight so far doing keto? If so how long has it taken?.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm keeping in an 800 to 1100 range and under 20g carbs. I feel great, no hunger and I lose steadily.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #7  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I calorie count and keto also. Its seems that with men, they can do the "eat all the cheese and bacon" method but the women seem to have to control their intake more. I love keto because my appetite is seriously suppressed an that has always been my biggest issue with dieting. There really is something to calories in/calories out despite what some low carb "gurus" want you to believe. You cannot eat 3000 calories at 75%+ fat and still lose weight. At least I can't and many many of my online keto sisters cannot either. It has started quite a few b**** fights between members of other online support forums because there are so many of us that still believe the CI/CO applies to keto (any energy in excess of need will be converted to storage fat whether it comes from carb, fat or protein).

I keep my intake around 1000+ calories a day, sometimes more especially if I find myself feeling worn out. I'm also supplementing Co Q10 now and magnesium and they have made all the difference with my energy levels.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

OMG! I found others doing keto and eating 800 cals! I am so happy that I'm not the only one! That's what I do and it works for me. I also excercise a lot, like >15 hours a week including walking.

I lose about 4 pounds per week, whereas if I don't calorie count but do keto I lose only maybe 1 pound per week.

I also intermittent fast from 9pm to 5pm, so my eating "window" is 5 to 9pm, but this strategy is not for everyone. I do eat a protein shake after my endurance workouts (3-5 hours mountain hiking or walking hills) every 2-3 days.

So nice to see others doing about 800(+)cal and keto!

Last edited by kayin; 04-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/254/160

Height: 5'8"

I just re-started the 17 Day Diet plan, which is a reduced-carb plan. A couple of years ago, I lost 50 pounds pretty quickly on it, and well - you know what happened after that.

I, too, keep an eye on calories. For me, 1200 or slightly higher is my target, and I lose pretty well at that number.
Terese2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Oh ...the I can eat all the butter cream and bacon I want diet ? I was just on that...It didn't work for me either. Yesterday I increased carbs to about 30 (net) added a touch of fruit and got rid of most of the sugar substitutes. I thought that might bring back some of the water weight, but I'm down today. I had been keeping carbs at 20 net or so, (which has been tough because I love vegies) and not loosing anything at 1500 calories.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I calorie count and keto also. Its seems that with men, they can do the "eat all the cheese and bacon" method but the women seem to have to control their intake more. I love keto because my appetite is seriously suppressed an that has always been my biggest issue with dieting. There really is something to calories in/calories out despite what some low carb "gurus" want you to believe. You cannot eat 3000 calories at 75%+ fat and still lose weight. At least I can't and many many of my online keto sisters cannot either. It has started quite a few b**** fights between members of other online support forums because there are so many of us that still believe the CI/CO applies to keto (any energy in excess of need will be converted to storage fat whether it comes from carb, fat or protein).

I keep my intake around 1000+ calories a day, sometimes more especially if I find myself feeling worn out. I'm also supplementing Co Q10 now and magnesium and they have made all the difference with my energy levels.
I agree, women simply can't lose if they eat over a certain amount. Especially as many seem to over eat protein and don't seem to realise that excess protein is actually converted into glucose by the body and contributes to lack of weight loss or no weight loss. The palm size portion method for protein still applies to low carb as well.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

I am also following a Ketogenic diet along with calorie counting. I did Ideal Protein from October-March and lost around 60 pounds. I started to increase my exercise and found I could not continue on Ideal Protein with the amount of exercise I want to do. I now cycle my days, Ketogenic with cal count on days with exercise and Ideal Protein day with no exercise. I currently play indoor field hockey an hour each week and do 2 days of cross fit style workouts. On the other days I usually go for a 20 minute slower paced walk to prevent cramping in my legs.

This has helped me lose at a slower rate, but I am ok with it. I feel much better and my activity level is way better than it was. I am sticking with around 800-100 net calories, I need to make sure I make up for what I burn because on field hockey days it is around 600+ calories. I keep my net carbs below 40 on Ideal Protein type days and usually below 30 on Ketogenic days. It is a lot of tracking but I feel it is a lifestyle change, I need to monitor to stay on track. I have also had one cheat day every week but I am finding that even on those days, the carbs just do not sit well. I am looking at it as an experiment, trying to find the right balance between weight loss, carb and calorie intake and the ability to perform as I wish.
kileymed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #13  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Yes... except that I'm too lazy to actually do the "counting", if that makes sense. I keep my carbs really low, although I don't count them, because I don't eat any starches or grains whatsoever. I pretty much only eat protein, fat and veggies for now. While I don't actually count the calories, I know they are being kept pretty low because I'm limiting my portions. I suppose that one of these days I should actually count out how many calories my typical meals are, but I've been too lazy to do that! And I know myself, and as long as what I'm doing is working, I'm not going to have any incentive to do the counting. If I stall, that's when I'll probably start.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #14  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileymed13 View Post
I am also following a Ketogenic diet along with calorie counting. I did Ideal Protein from October-March and lost around 60 pounds. I started to increase my exercise and found I could not continue on Ideal Protein with the amount of exercise I want to do. I now cycle my days, Ketogenic with cal count on days with exercise and Ideal Protein day with no exercise. I currently play indoor field hockey an hour each week and do 2 days of cross fit style workouts. On the other days I usually go for a 20 minute slower paced walk to prevent cramping in my legs.

This has helped me lose at a slower rate, but I am ok with it. I feel much better and my activity level is way better than it was. I am sticking with around 800-100 net calories, I need to make sure I make up for what I burn because on field hockey days it is around 600+ calories. I keep my net carbs below 40 on Ideal Protein type days and usually below 30 on Ketogenic days. It is a lot of tracking but I feel it is a lifestyle change, I need to monitor to stay on track. I have also had one cheat day every week but I am finding that even on those days, the carbs just do not sit well. I am looking at it as an experiment, trying to find the right balance between weight loss, carb and calorie intake and the ability to perform as I wish.
Hi Kiley! So when you say you are doing ketogenic days, do you mean you are adding fat? IP is a ketogenic diet but they keep the fat intake low...I've been mostly following IP with alternatives and adding a banana before my workout (targeted ketogenic diet or TKD). Of course now I read "The Art & Science of Low Carb Performance" and the authors seem to be saying that our workouts can be totally fueled by body fat and that all we really need to do is be sure to have extra salt and water prior to a workout. I am thinking about giving that a shot when I workout later today...But I have also been wondering if I should start adding fat back into my diet and heading towards an Atkins type diet...

As far as counting calories, I haven't done it yet because doing IP keeps the calories right around 800 calories so I haven't had to yet. I guess if I decide to add in fat, I will prolly have to start counting. I HATE counting! It's such a pain and not realistic for my lifestyle!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
Hi Kiley! So when you say you are doing ketogenic days, do you mean you are adding fat? IP is a ketogenic diet but they keep the fat intake low...I've been mostly following IP with alternatives and adding a banana before my workout (targeted ketogenic diet or TKD). Of course now I read "The Art & Science of Low Carb Performance" and the authors seem to be saying that our workouts can be totally fueled by body fat and that all we really need to do is be sure to have extra salt and water prior to a workout. I am thinking about giving that a shot when I workout later today...But I have also been wondering if I should start adding fat back into my diet and heading towards an Atkins type diet...

As far as counting calories, I haven't done it yet because doing IP keeps the calories right around 800 calories so I haven't had to yet. I guess if I decide to add in fat, I will prolly have to start counting. I HATE counting! It's such a pain and not realistic for my lifestyle!
I am doing a combo of higher fat keto days (Atkins like) and alternating with IP days (low fat). I vary depending on my planned exercise for the day. I find I have an easier recovery when I have a higher fat keto day and have an easier time adjusting my calories. I also enjoy eating more "real" food. I do not like calorie counting either but I am finding it a necessary evil, especially as I continue to move forward. I am doing more of a cycled keto diet with a cheat day every week or two. So far I have had no issues getting back on after a cheat day. I feel better with lower carbs intake.
kileymed13 is offline   Reply With Quote