Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 300+ Getting Fit After 40 #318

TO FEBRUARY

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of being fit when you have a significant amount of weight to lose which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Yesterday was great. Today has been a see it, eat it, disaster. Oh well. It happens. Think I have my head back on straight now and will shoot for a POP day tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #3  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hang in there, Judy. Keep your eyes shut if you have to: if you can't see it, it's hard to eat it.

Kinda weird weekend for me. Couldn't do what DH and I usually do on weekends because of freezing rain last night and today, so we're 50 miles apart. In theory this should mean I get a lot done, but I've been puttering a lot. Made a poster for work that was pretty time-consuming. Roasted some brussel sprouts (always hated them until I ate them roasted at a friend's house; first time I tried roasting them myself). I like buying frozen entrees and supplementing with a salad and some home-cooked veggies. Makes a very filling meal but doesn't take too long. And I've got 2 more servings of brussel sprouts to eat later in the week.

So, I've got a few hours left to do some grading before bedtime, but I need to work out, too. I've been trying not to sit longer than 20 minutes at a time, but I still want to get my dedicated cardio in.

The nice thing this week is that I haven't been having cravings. I *think* it might be because I started drinking an ounce of bitters after dinner. I did it because I read that they help with various kinds of digestive problems, but I was also a little concerned because I've read that they're traditionally used to "stimulate appetite." But honestly, I've been finding it much, much easier to stay under my daily points allotment (usually I would use the whole thing plus some of my weekly points, but this week I've hardly touched the weeklies and even left some of the dailies unused).

Here's to a productive February. And hoping the groundhog gives us some good news tomorrow.

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 02-01-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

For various reasons I am starting to really feel the need to get back on track re weight and exercise. But feeling stuck about getting going. Yesterday I started jogging in place while I had the dogs outside in the yard. It's something I've done before to help me get started with exercise. I can build stamina, etc. So I'm going to keep working on that while I try to get myself in order in other ways.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

I have a perfect grandson!! He weighed 6lbs 14 oz. he stole my heart at the first look!!
We ate to much while out and about. I am happy to report that I stayed out of snacky foods at my oldest grandson bday party and skipped cake.
It was fun staying in the hotel but I was sure glad to be home.
Snow heading at us today.
So ready for spring!!!!!
Back on track today.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #6  

Silly groundhog saw his shadow. Really? Haven't we had enough.

Our super bowl party will be a big pot of POP chilli filled with lots of veggies. It already smells good. Now if I can stay out of the extra crackers.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #7  
Vortex

Debbie: Congrats!! Enjoy him. I enjoy other people's little ones so much… they say laughter is healthy for us, and watching a little one always seems to involve some laughter and smiles.

Heather: Sounds like a plan. We're pulling for you!

Carol: Chili sounds great. You know I stopped making it years ago because it seemed so high calorie, but I've eaten plenty of yummy veggie chills made by other people since then… must try making some soon.

Scale was down a bit this morning. I now have 6.9 pounds to lose in the next 3 weeks in order to "win" the bet and get my money back! So even though the whole 4-week game itself averages over 2 pounds a week, I'm *almost* down to needing 2 pounds per week. Since I rarely succeed in losing that much on a weekly basis, that's why I thought this would be a good jump start for me. They also have a 6-month bet where you commit to lose 10% in 6 months, which is much more reasonable, so I'm thinking I'll go ahead and join that too and see if I can't use that little extra extrinsic motivation to keep me OP through August.

I'm also thinking about buying the Zombies, Run! app for my phone, though I think for me I'll be mostly walking briskly away from the zombies…Right now outside walking doesn't seem like much of an option. I have to hope in a real zombie apocalypse that snow would slow down the zombies as much as it slows down the rest of us.

Another snowy day (with ice mixed in) here. Hoping to get grades done, do kickboxing, and spend at least 20 minutes on research work.

Have a happy and safe Sunday, all.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #8  

We are getting an icy snow
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #9  
Vortex

Yuck. The weather kept me home today.

Spent too much time working on an online course I'm taking. Gotta get to grading for the ones I'm teaching!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #10  

Did great yesterday eating!! No Super Bowl party so just made a Mexican layered dip and counted out my chips.
Not sure yet if I'm working or not today. We got 4 " of snow. We had ice first and more ice for tomorrow. I am so ready for spring!!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #11  

Yesterday didn't go as planned and was not POP. Thought I could have a piece of birthday cake. Sent the rest of the day in a tailspin. I can't believe how bad I feel this morning from the junk I put in my body. Glad I have the creamy chicken enchilada soup prepped and in the fridge to get right back on plan.

We are in the 7-10 inch snow forecast starting tomorrow - I think they've got most of the ice cleared. For me the cold is probably the worst of it. They are predicting minus 10 later this week.

Let's do this!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I still feel like I'm in a tailspin wrt my health and weight and all... some days are better than others but over all I just don't have my head in the game.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #13  

I am right with you Heather!! I do good a day or two and then eat bad for a few days.
I think this wacky weather is part of my trouble. I have done good this year not baking every time we get snow but I do tend to cook comfort foods. Today is a perfect example , meatloaf mash potatoes green peas and I am debating about making rolls. I need to get my small plate back out and start there.
We are expecting ice today. Praying we don't lose power.

My goal for today is to skip making rolls and use a small plate!! It may take baby steps to get my head on straight.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #14  
Vortex

Heather, tell us more? What's getting in your way?

Good luck with the weather, Debbie. We aren't expecting ice but more snow than we usually get, so I am also hoping the power stays on.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #15  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I slipped a bit yesterday but so far today POP. Since I'm home for the rest of the day there's a good possibility I can stay that way.

Angela I often do the same thing you do. A frozen dinner plus lots of added veggies. I'm especially fond of WW Fettuccini Alfredo. 6 pts I think and I can add all kinds of fresh veggies, diff seasonings and even a bit of protein for a filling meal w/o going overboard on points. I especially like adding lemon juice or dehydrated lemon.

Deb, congrats on the new Grandbaby!!! WooHoo! What fun. You mentioned using a small plate. My large plates never get used and when I have to use a dinner fork, instead of my usual salad fork, It feels out of balance.

Heather, take some deep breaths and a nice warm soak in the tub and work on a plan to get back on track. Don't panic!!

Carol, sounds like you are planning ahead and doing just great!

6-12" of snow in the forecast for tonight tomorrow. Figures that I have an appointment on the other side of the county tomorrow morning. I may cancel if the drivings not good.

Everyone stay warm and think happy thoughts.
Closed Thread