Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200.4/175/155

Height: 5'5"

Default IP vs. WW

I have been on IP since June 10, 2013. I am down 50lbs. Since going on vacation in December, I havent been able to be completely dedicated to IP like I was initially. I am contemplating going back to WW.
Any guidance either way?
Thanks!
C
cproko27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #2  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

I think it is a decision that you have to make on your own that works for you. I know that I do we'll with the structure and limits of IP. to me WWis to flexible. You can rationalize eating anything on WW, I have done WW many times. The only time I was ever really successful on WW I was in my early 20's and it was before any of the points systems came into existence.

I would ask yourself why you haven't been fully committed to IP recently. Would you be 100% committed to WW? There's a lot to consider. Don't make any quick decisions.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

I've also been on WW and lost a lot of weight then regained it. I liked the program but I too like the structure of IP better for me. Plus I feel that I've lost more inches. But it's definitely a personal decision and one you can only make. Hope this helps!
Hawaii69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #4  

Thanks ColoradoCarol. I dont have an answer why I cant commit to IP. I do well for a few days and then derail BADLY! I think that with the restrictions, I miss certain things and then have 1 and then 10 of them.. With WW I can have anything within limits.. I am just worried if I dont phase of IP correctly then I will gain it all back (regardless of if I am on WW or not).
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #5  

Thanks Hawaii69. I have done WW 2x and lost 50l bs (I swear I lose and gain and lose and gain the same 50 lbs).. I am getting older and its getting harder (I am mid/late thirties).
I have loved IP and the results since I started and I know that I can do it successfully, I am just having a hard time getting my mind back into it and I wonder if WW (moderation of anything) would be more helpful..
Ive spent so much on IP that I cant gain it back.. Been on since June at about $80.00 per week..
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Are you doing p4 or are you just "watching it"?
Is it the last 15 that you are wanting to lose?
One thought would be to do a Phase 3 style diet. This would mean you are not in ketosis, you would get a variety of foods, and if you keep with the select vegetables (with the occasionals twice a week) you should be able to lose about a pound a week.
In terms of returning to weight watchers, are you thinking that you need the weekly accountability and meeting socialization? Is the "no food is off limits" now more appealing than the ease of IP's limited selections?
What is your age and do you exercise? If you are older, you will need a program with fewer carbs (doesn't have to be super restrictive like IP) but probably 4 servings of "heavy" carbs a day at the most to maintain weight. If you are younger or a heavy exerciser you might be able to handle more.
Also, why did you "leave" WW in the first place? Has anything changed with WW that would make it work better for you now.
(I am not familiar with WW's latest programs, just those in the not-so-recent past.)
Does that give you some things to think about?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
Are you doing p4 or are you just "watching it"?
Is it the last 15 that you are wanting to lose?
One thought would be to do a Phase 3 style diet. This would mean you are not in ketosis, you would get a variety of foods, and if you keep with the select vegetables (with the occasionals twice a week) you should be able to lose about a pound a week.
In terms of returning to weight watchers, are you thinking that you need the weekly accountability and meeting socialization? Is the "no food is off limits" now more appealing than the ease of IP's limited selections?
What is your age and do you exercise? If you are older, you will need a program with fewer carbs (doesn't have to be super restrictive like IP) but probably 4 servings of "heavy" carbs a day at the most to maintain weight. If you are younger or a heavy exerciser you might be able to handle more.
Also, why did you "leave" WW in the first place? Has anything changed with WW that would make it work better for you now.
(I am not familiar with WW's latest programs, just those in the not-so-recent past.)
Does that give you some things to think about?
I haven’t phased off yet (well not officially). It is the last 15 that I want to lose that is killing me. Of course I want to lose it sooner rather than later…lol.. I was at 155 (10lbs lower than now) back at Thanksgiving, then vacation and the holidays came and here its 2 months later! I should be done by now….
I have week accountability (when I actually go) to my IP clinic to weigh in. I find it easier to cancel on weeks I have cheated though. I think the problem that I am having with IP now is the restrictedness of things that I like (i.e. sushi, coffee creamer, etc). I am 35 and used to exercise 3-6 times a week (doing Zumba and running). The exercise was slowing my IP weight loss, so my coach recommended I hold off until I was done losing the weight that I wanted to lose.
Not even sure why I left WW 5 years ago when I got to lifetime.. Probably because I got cocky and thought I could do it on my own..
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Ah, you are just tired of it.
Can you commit to properly phasing off? Maybe a week of Phase 1 and 2 weeks of Phase 3? If I give you permission to have an oz of creamer or probably better have an ounce of cream and count it as your p3 fat in the am or substitute it for one of the two teaspoons of olive oil later in the day? ; )

I think if you do p4 without the fun day, allow yourself the little bit of cream and figure out how you can have sushi as part of a p4 dinner plus add exercise you will have a nice structure to lose a half a pound or so a week. Will that seem brutally slow? Well, is it any less slow than what you are doing now? Plus, you develop a way of eating and then can add things once you hit goal.

Or, after proper phase off go back to WW. In mid-30s with no other health issues, you should be OK either way. IP will only be faster if you do it ; )

The exercise might improve mood and make either one easier to stay with. Also, it can help modulate appetite (or increase it so pay attention).

Do you think your coach will yell at you or motivate you if you go even when you have not stayed 100% OP? Will he/she have some tips and be able to help customize things for you?

Last edited by infoplease; 02-09-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Any plan you will do will be what you have success with. I have a friend who has been following WW at the same time as I am doing IP. She actually cut out a lot of processed foods and sugars while doing WW and feels tons better. She can still have something if she wants because it is within the rules, but she often does not. It is how you work it.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cproko27 View Post
I have been on IP since June 10, 2013. I am down 50lbs. Since going on vacation in December, I havent been able to be completely dedicated to IP like I was initially. I am contemplating going back to WW.
Any guidance either way?
Thanks!
C
If your metabolism works with WW ..or any other diet..you should go with whatever works for you and one which you are able to stick to.

The commitment to IP on this board that may appear over the top...and not something you understand...is the dilemma for many people who are carb sensitive...this is the one last hope...and honestly...the 100% commitment to this comes easily for those of us who have struggled (even gained .. Esp on WW).

WW gets rave reviews in the media...however there are a lot of folks here who's weight barely budged on multiple runs at dieting using calorie or points counting. And those stories are NOT rare. Have nothing to do with commitment..and are related to metabolic challenges. The trade off for the restrictions here are pounds that DO come off ..finally.

This diet works as well for those who do not have carb sensitivity issues...and is faster in the initial stages..and if you have a large amount to lose it is REALLY helpful.

It would be nice to have normal metabolism...sounds like you have options, and if you are not backed into a corner and have more choices on how to lose, you just need to decide what YOU want to commit to.

Commitment is a whole other issue...and is a big part of what the chatter on this question seems to be.

The IP diet is a godsend to many. We in that category will need to make a life long lo carb commitment and lifestyle change to lose AND maintain. Others who like the efficiency of IP may be able to switch to another type of more forgiving lifelong eating style in the future....but for sure not all of us. It's a lot to deal with..but the ability to commit to lo carb usually comes once you find you don't have any other way to lose.

Wishing you health, and success what ever you do!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #11  

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I am weighing all my options, pros and cons and can be committed once I make up my mind to do it. I lost 50lbs on WW at one point and also on IP (the same 50lbs).
Your words of wisdom are MUCH appreciated!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'3"

The thing I like about IP is that it gets it right regarding insulin. WW is about calories in/calories out. You'd think that 1200 calories is 1200 calories, but if it's a lot of sugar, you'll store the extra glycogen you don't burn up as fat.

Whatever you do, ease into eating higher amounts of sugar. I heard of a doctor who was on IP, went to a holiday party and drank for the first time in months, then ended up in the ER that night because his body went into shock from the alcohol sugar. Nobody knew what was up until a nurse asked him if he was on a high carb diet. Being in ketosis then loading up on sugar can cause some seriously disturbing side effects, apparently. I heard he felt pretty stupid.

You're so close to goal…When I think about these last 16 and how quickly they can come off if I stick to the program, I get excited and feel a surge of rededication.

Last edited by SlimmerBySummer; 02-10-2014 at 07:18 PM.
SlimmerBySummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

I tried to do WW a few months ago to lose 15lbs (5lbs gain + extra 10lbs to lose) and it just did not work for me at all. I was following it to the T and using a lot of the IP technique (high protein, low carb, low fat) and with my 26 daily points, i would not lose at all, only maintained. I think after 3 months and only 3lbs down, i went back on IP.

I did WW about 20 years ago and lost 80lbs and it worked wonderfully. I regained it all + lots more and tried it again about 5 years ago and it would not work whatsoever.

I DID enjoy the WW way of being able to have some fruits and had spaguetti squash for dinner, it didn't work for me to lose weight but will keep it in mind to maintain (to have an idea of how much food i should eat).
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I like the idea of a point system for when I get to maintenance...seems like an interesting way to go. Any maintainers using WW as a maintenance? I'll post in that thread as well.
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote