View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyandLaynie View Post
So I just started my weightloss journey, im 5"8 and 260 ish is what im guessing I was 275 when I gave birth 9 months ago. Anyway what iam doing is basically paleo without fruit, hoping to keep my carbs between 50 and 100 by eating plenty of veggies and protein. I was under the impression that you cant get enough protein when on a low carb diet but I recently realized my portion sizes of meat were too large and wondered if I there was a limit to the amount of protein you eat when trying to lose weight. Lo and behold turns out there is, aparently too much protein can impeade weight loss . So basically my question is whats a good target range for protein? I know id like to keep my carbs under 100 as close to 50 as possible. And I think id like to keep my caloriesat 1500 to 1700. Id really appreciate your guys input! Thanks
You can absolutely eat too much protein on a low carb diet, and many of the people you will see in low carb communities actually do eat too much protein. Basically your body will use as much as it needs to repair and maintain your lean body mass. Any extra will be converted to glucose by the liver. Therefore if you eat too much protein you will actually be converting it to carbs. What I do is use a calculator to determine how much protein/fat/carbs/calories I should be eating. The rule of thumb is to stay under your carb limit, hit your protein target, and then eat until satisfied (or you hit your calorie limit) on fats. You can ascertain your macronutrient requirements at http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Last edited by Locke; 02-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote