Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:47 AM   #1  
Beauty is within...

Thumbs down Losing Weight and Enjoying Life! #1

Isn't that what we are all trying to do? Lose weight successfully, but still enjoy life while we do it? We all come here to exchange ideas, swap diet stories, talk about our lives and gain some good friends.

This group is a small but very nice bunch of people from around the world, providing friendship and support as we face the daily challenges of losing weight.

Please feel free to join us!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:49 AM   #2  
Beauty is within...

Hi all!

Jo, sorry I didn't post again for a while. I've been down with a really bad case of hayfever, with a touch of a cold or something, and been very tired.

Birthday was ok, but you know when you really look forward to something and then it doesn't quite pan out? well....

You've started your walking again - good for you!!! What's this diet you're on? Can't you eat fruit? Are you remembering your water? I found out recently that for people who don't drink enough water - ie. 5 glasses a day - they have a 50% higher chance of a heart attack! Anyway, hope it's going well, and good luck on your weigh in.

I'm 200 grams away from my first 5 kilos!!! I've been a bit off over the last week or so, but back to planning and recording tomorrow. I want to focus on my next 5 kilo loss. In all, I had 40 kilos to lose, which sounds really daunting. But WW encourage you to aim for 5 kilo losses and feel really good each time you reach a 5 kilo goal. And then Marc put it into a really cool perspective - I've lost one lot of 5 kilos, I've got 7 to go. When you put it like that, doesn't sound so bad!

I've been thinking about how I could track my loss. They suggest something tangible, like a bracelet, where you add beads each time you lose, or something like that. Well, I've got a big glass jar, and I've got rice. For each amount of weight I lose, I put a 10% equivalent into the jar. And I'm dyeing the rice, so end up with a really cool layering affect. And what's great is that when I get to goal weight, I'll have the jar as a really nice ornament for the house. Actually I'll have 2, because this jar won't fit it all - I'm going to put enough to equal half way goal, 20 kilos.

I'm sure you'd appreciate that Jo, considering your creative skills! Sounds like you've got your hands full with all the stuff you make. Good on you! Did you make a nice profit in the end? We're planning on having a garage sale soon, and I'm gonna chuck out everything old. Well, within reason anyway! I'm finally at a stage when I can't handle all the old stuff I've had for years. I want new and clean. A part of my total makeover I think!

Well, my eyelids are getting rather droopy, so I'll say goodnight.

Oh, went to aqua again today. Mum and Dad bought me a 10 visit pass for my birthday, which is really good.

Catcha soon.

Kermie, please drop in and say hi soon. Miss you!

Lynnebee
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 AM   #3  
Beauty is within...

Good evening folks!

I've had a pretty good day today. It's still quite hard to feel totally motivated, but I'm pushing myself cos I really want a good loss this week.

I had my weigh in yesterday and gained 100 grams, 0.1 kilos, which is very minimal, and not too surprising. However, it's taken me a little further away from my first 5 kilo goal, which is a bit disappointing. However, I know this is not going to happen overnight, and I've got to be patient!

I knew I'd be doing canteen today, so quickly did my walk first thing this morning after dropping Josh off at school. I started volunteering at his school's canteen last week, and quite enjoy it. But usual me, going in there and start trying to improve the place! Josh loved being able to come and visit and go BEHIND the counter and check out all the action! hee hee

Food's been good, although I've just had a little of Marc's caramel slice. It's so torturous having all these biscuits and slices that he makes floating past. I even have to help roll biscuits out, and cut up slices. It is NOT helping the diet!!! But I've finally figured out 2 things - 1) make sure I'm not hungry when I do it - after lunch is a good time and 2) put some chewing gum in my mouth - less tempted to nibble!

Oh, the little things we do to try and avoid temptation! And if the craving is REALLY bad, then I had a small amount, and then get back to the chewies!

Hope everyone's having a good week....

Our lease officially expired today, and funnily enough that is GOOD news. Basically our landlord has been a total *** when it comes to repairs, and we ended up having to take him to court to get them done. So we were mega worried that he wouldn't renew our lease, which ended today, considering that we weren't exactly his favourite people. However, the property manager who sent him notice that the lease was due for renewal has assured us that this old guy has NO idea what's going on and hadn't done anything about it. So we found out that if the lease expires, it automatically goes to a periodic lease, which means it runs indefinitely, until he kicks us out, but to do so he'd have to give us 90 days notice, which is heaps of time to move. So basically, now that he hasn't done anything, we are here for a long time to come! YAY! We really didn't want to have to move again. I mean, we've finally found a place we're happy with until we can buy a place of our own....

Gosh I can crap on!

Better get some shut eye!
Night!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #4  

Hey Lynne--caught up with you. Your doing great! Sounds like your motivatiion is on fire!! I'm doing really well this week. Yep--drinking plenty of water, walking and eating well all at once!! Been a long time since I could say that!!!! New month, new season and new motivation!! The diet I'm on now is called the South Beach Diet--I'm sure it will be in Australia soon if not already. Low fat, low carb. The first two weeks I can't have very many carbs and that includes all fruits, but after week 2 I can start adding them back slowly--week one is almost behind me and I can feel a weighloss in my clothes. Only going to weigh once a week--Sunday mornings. Keep your fingers crossed--a loss would sure keep me going
Why is Marc doing so much baking and cooking again? Is he working? Good news with the landlord. Hope you can stay put until your able to buy your own home. Did you get any vegis planted in your garden yet?? I did miss my garden this summer. Think we'll put in a few things at the lake next summer.
Gonna run--hubby is packing for his annual deer hunting trip with our son and I haven't eaten yet---can't let myself get too ravished or I'll Pig-out. Talk tomorrow.
Jo
Old 11-08-2003, 07:10 AM   #5  
Beauty is within...

Hey how's everyone?

I'm sitting on the puter enjoying some "me" time. Marc's watching the rugby - he's a huge fanatic, being from New Zealand, where it's HUGE there. And I thought the Aussies were totally into their footy - nothing like the NZ's with their rugby, that's for sure! He's been pacing up and down with his beer yelling at the tv! It's hilarious!

Jo, glad to hear things are going so well! I haven't heard of that diet yet. Glad it's working out for you! Good luck on your weigh in! Just remember that the losses won't necessarily be immediate, and not always huge. Any loss is a good loss! And even if you don't see anything in the first week, hang in there! Your clothes feeling looser is a sign in itself. Another really good way to see your loss is to measure, say once a month. Sometimes the centimeters lost is a better indicator than the scales!

Marc's last job didn't work out, and he's pretty fed up with all the idiots in the hospitality industry, and because no one will give him a break elsewhere, he's decided to have a break. Cooking from home will give us a good income boost. Hopefully we'll finally get ourselves off the poverty line!

Now that we know we can stay we can start planting veggies. We didn't want to do anything in case we had to move. I've sprayed the area with weed killer, so it's now ready to be turned and cultivated. It's so nice to know that we don't have to move again. Buying a house is a long way off yet, but once our debts are under control, then we might be able to consider it. In South Australia, the government have created a new scheme to help new home buyers, by supplying a $7000 new home owners grant. And a lot of companies are giving really good deals where you get to keep that grant to put towards your own costs, rather that having to use it to cover fees etc. I think it will be available for quite a while yet, which would really help. However, we might move to New Zealand at the end of next year, in which case the whole house buying business might be put on hold even longer. Who knows!?

One of my best friends got married today. But I didn't bust my points too much. Munched on a few nibbles, like meatballs, spring rolls and mini quiches. Problem was the wedding was at 1pm, so couldn't have lunch before we went, so was STARVING by the time they had the reception, which was in a garden. Kisten looked gorgeous. She's normally one for dark clothes such as jeans and jumpers, so it was quite amazing seeing her in a white wedding dress! I got quite teary! Reminded me of my own wedding, which seems like yesterday, not almost 2 years ago!

Jo, the comment that your husband is going deer hunting really struck me. We don't have that here. Over here we farm deer, but it's fairly new. People hunt for kangaroos, rabbits and foxes. It's funny how the kangaroo gets hunted, considering it's one of our national emblems! Admittedly, I don't like the idea of animals being hunted, although I know it's what man has being doing since the dawn of time! I reckon if it wasn't for the fact I was raised on roast lamb and beef, I'd be a vegetarian. I reckon Josh will be. It's always been a battle getting him to eat meat. He has the same sensitivity to animals that I do.

I'm gonna go play some puter games.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

I wonder how Kermie is?

Lynne

Last edited by LoseForLife; 11-08-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:33 AM   #6  

Lynne--what kind of cooking is Marc doing from home?? Sounds interesting. We have a local lady here who started doing meals for busy people a few years ago and it has really taken off. She cooks 7 meals--complete--freezes the part that needs freezing. Packs the rest in microwavable dishes and delivers them and puts them away with instructions as to which extra goes with each meal--bread, salad , desserts etc. She has been featured on the tv a few times and the business has gotten so big she has had to hire several more people to help her--cooks, packers, delivery people. I also have several friends who do catering--from their homes. That is a pretty good way to go also--except your working like crazy the day before the event and then idle the rest of the week--most weddings etc are on Saturdays--so they might be catering two or more on a Sat.--thats a lot of food to get cooked and safely stored until serving time! My friends that do the catering got started by word of mouth so there wasn't a startup few so to speak--they did it for this friend who recommended them to that friend etc.
My diet is going pretty good. I did let a few un-wise choices slip thru my mouth this week--but not many. Wish I hadn't though. It's like starting over getting rid of the sugar and carb cravings. They say it takes anywhere from 2 hrs. to 48 hours to get your body re-adjusted. Mine is definealty in the 48 hour range

Hubby and son have been hunting together forever. Deer are not farmed here--their in the wild. There are a few farms sprouting up for deer and elks to sell to restraunts ect. but it is still pretty odd. I have never eaten lamb--a lot of Americans do but I never have--they look too cute and cuddly too me. I prefer chicken or fish. But also eat my share of pork and beef. Hubby also hunts grouse and pheasants. Both game birds. I like both of them too--they taste pretty much like poultry--a cross between a chicken and turkey. Do you have many turkeys in Australia??? We have wild turkeys here--but most are farm raised.
Ok--by all my food talk today I guess you can tell I haven't eaten breakfast yet. I was checking my E-mail early so I can hit the shopping mall. I want to get my CHristmas shopping started early and my oldest grandson was supposed to mail me his wish list and one from his younger brother and sisters. Two of the grandchildren also have birthdays in early Dec. so it looks like a pretty big cash outflow for me However--no list apppearing yet in my mail so I may relax a few more hours and then get going. Reading a great mystery--stayed up half the night trying to finish it--still have a few chapters to go--my eyes gave out before the ending I love to read but it is addidictive--

Do you weigh on Saturdays? If so I hope you see success--it is a great moral boaster!! I'll weigh tomorrow. I'm doing this diet on my own--bought the book--not sure if it was available in the library yet--there is a lot of talk about it on the boards here--so I know its a safe one and a lot of people are having success. Iniatially you can expect a pretty good weight-loss 8-13 pounds the first two weeks, then it slows down to a healthy loss of a pound or so a week. My middle daughter is back at WW but I know she won't stick with it--already making excuses. She is having surgery soon for an esophagus problem--so she knows she will have to be on liquids for 2 wks after the surgery, then pureed for a while before returning to normal eating--so she has pretty much told herself she had better enjoy real food while she can--all of my sensible talk about look how much slimmer you can be before the surgery has fallen on deaf ears----
Have gotten a few jokes etc from Kermie in the last week or two but no real news. She leads a busy life these days. Really keeping busy since her Dave passed away--but she is still losing weight or mailntaining so I guess "busy" has its advantages--Kermie--if your reading this--let us know how TOPS is going--
Talk tomorrow.
Jo
Old 11-10-2003, 06:52 AM   #7  
Beauty is within...

Jo, that lady you described doing the home cooking sounds like a weight loss program we've got here called Lite'N'Easy. Basically you order the meals you want based on the program they provide, and it gets delivered to you. Unfortunately it ends up quite expensive. For someone like myself, who's got such a tight budget, I don't have the money to blow my stardard budget just on those meals alone, let alone all the fresh fruit and veg, household goods etc. Marc is cooking slices such as brownie and caramel slice, biscuits etc. My mum is involved in a "hobby" shop that sells all homemade stuff, such as clothes, wallets, lamps, kids toys etc, and she provides cakes etc. Because at Christmas it gets quite busy, financially Marc can do quite well. This is only temporary, and he'll have to seriously start looking for another job after Christmas. What we'd like to do, which is just starting to become quite popular, is in-house catering. Where you go to someone's house and do the cooking for them when they've got people over. The ideal thing is that you could cater to each person's budget - if they don't have a lot of money, you could just cook the food and leave it for them to serve. However, as a person's budget increases you can start to do more for them - set up the table, serve the food, wash the dishes after, etc etc.

I've heard that it can take more that 48 hours to readjust, so you hang in there. Remember that you are eating in a way that is not "normal", but a chance to cleanse your body, so it is bound to be difficult. But hopefully it will show positive results!

We don't have grouse and stuff, but we do eat turkey at Christmas time. I think it gets farmed. We've got it in the shops, but it's not really in demand until Christmas. We have it with the roast pork as part of Christmas dinner. My favourite is my grandma's turkey soup! She's promised to pass down the recipe to me so I can make it in the future for the family. Problem is I might start making it all year round it's so nice!

This time of year is beginning to become rather full-on. I've just had my birthday, Josh is about to have his, then it's Christmas, then Marc's birthday in Jan, and Bec's in Feb!!!! My budget is begging for mercy! We've made a list of what we're getting everyone, and we're going to buy one present a week to space it out a bit more. Josh is asking for lots of Thomas the Tank Engine stuff. He's been a big fan for ages, but went off them for a while, but now he's fully into them again. Really good because it would be a shame for his set to go to waste, but difficult cos the stuff's so darn expensive! Luckily we don't have to worry about Bec too much this year - a couple of empty boxes in bright crinkly wrapping paper will do her!

Do you guys watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? It's hilarious! We just wish we had a team like that here. Our house, and my husband, could do with a makeover!!!! That's why I want this garage sale. I've decided "out with the old, and in with the not-so-old!" Because we're renting, we can't paint or anything, but we can at least have nice furniture!!! Part of the problem is the house is small, but we make do. We went and had a look at a few second-hand shops today to see how much stuff is. We want to buy a couple of wardrobes that we can put on either side of a chest of drawers. But most of the nicer wardrobes were at least $200 each. And drawers were sometimes more! But, we'll keep looking at see what we can find.... I just hate the fact that all our stuff is mismatched and was old and worn when I inherited or bought it nearly 10 years ago. You make do because you have to, but if I don't have a change, I'm gonna scream!

I LOVE reading. I don't get to do it as much as I used to, but when I was single and childless, I used to sometimes stay in bed all weekend and read read read. If I got into a really good book, I wouldn't stop reading until I finished. These days I have to contend myself with chapters at a time mostly. Everyone now and again I rebel and retreat to the bedroom for "time out"! ha ha

My weigh in is on Wednesday. This last week has been a bit up in the air, and I haven't kept track very well at all. It's so hard to keep motivated when you feel tired and headachy. But I DID go for my walk today, and even weight lifted my water bottle to tone my arms!

I'm off to bed. Bec had another bad night last night. Oh, I can't wait until she outgrows this!!!!!

Bye!

Last edited by LoseForLife; 11-10-2003 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:39 PM   #8  

Lynne--you mis-understod me--I didn't mean you should order meals--I meant it was something Marc could look at for a work from home idea. Glad to hear he's busy--even if it is seasonal. We have people who cook in your home too for parties etc.--thats a good way to go too.

Well I had a pretty good loss so far--6.5 pounds! Yea I'm doing a happy dance. Didn't have a great Sunday--got called to my daughters to babysit--her father-in-law passed away during the night and they had to go out of town--naturally she didn't have any of the foods in the house I was supposed to be eating--and I hit the floor running when she called--so no time to pack a few meals. Oh well--back to the basics today and I still have my loss working for me--hope for a few pounds this week too--then it will slow down. Can't wait to be able to add a little more variety to my meals--

Good luck to you this week. I won't be touching base real regular for a few days--I have to take middle daughter to the dr. tomorrow and then the funeral is on Wed. Next weekend I'm back at my oldest daughters wtih the grandchildren. Hope Bec outgrows whatever is bothering her fast!!!

Keep up the great work--I walked this morning--feels good to be working out in the a.m. again--I missed it!
Jo
Old 11-11-2003, 07:49 AM   #9  
Beauty is within...

Jo

Sorry to hear about your daughter's FIL.

I wasn't talking about me ordering that food - lol - I was just commenting on the fact that it sounded like what we've got here. No, I'm quite happy with my WW. Yes, it would be really good if Marc could do it for others. One day maybe...

WOOHOO on your loss!

I'll keep this real short, as it's quite late. Had a more energetic day today. Was able to do some cleaning and sorting. Needed to do some major cleaning cos Bec started crawling! yay! She's so excited, but still hasn't quite clicked where she can go. But she's getting there. She discovered the front door today, and was able to look out the locked screen door at all the people and cars going past!

Hope you have a good week and look after yourself!

Lynne
Old 11-11-2003, 08:12 PM   #10  

Lynne--just a quick helllo! Had an ok day--did a little shopping then spent the afternoon at the drs. office waiting for my middle daughter. She sees the surgeon on Thursday. Hope they can get her in quickly--she'd like to be healthy again before the holidays. Doing a little baking tonight--hate to have goodies in the house but I need to bring something down for after the funeral tomorrow, Weatherman just said snow--yea! and we have about a two hour drive I'll try to touch base tomorrow,. Let me know how your weigh in goes---
Jo
Old 11-13-2003, 07:39 AM   #11  
Beauty is within...

Hi all!

Had a MUCH better day today. I gained .200 grams yesterday, which in itself isn't much, but a gain is a gain, and I don't want ANY!!! Grrrrrr

So I came home yesterday determined to get myself reorganised. I know why I've gained - I haven't been counting points properly, haven't exercised as often as I should, and not always making the best food choices. I'm lucky it wasn't more!!!

I planned my menu for the week again, and prepared all I needed to get me through. I went shopping today, so I have no excuse to eat anything I haven't allocated.

One more day to prepare for the garage sale. Turfed out quite a bit so far, including lots of clothes that I've been hanging onto, in the hope I would wear them again one day. I've realised that I will get down to those sizes, but my tastes have changed, so I wouldn't want to anyway!

Jo, when you make stuff for the funeral, you should look at a low fat option. WW has some amazing recipes for cakes etc. That way you could indulge without feeling guilty!

Hope all goes well. Hope it doesn't snow - driving in the snow must be scary. We don't get snow here, apart from occasionally up in the hills, but only a little. Other states get it in some areas, so people can go there to ski. So the only experience I've had is trying to drive after a huge hail storm that I got caught in. Freaky having the car skid out when I tried to use the brakes!

Catcha soon.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:56 PM   #12  

Lynne--glad you have such a positive outlook on the small gain. It is disappointing but your right to get right back on track and not let it depress you too much.
I've had a terrible two days--but will get back on track tomorrow. I wasn't doing the cooking for the funeral--only making a few things to go back to my daughters MIL's after the service. I left everythng there--didn't bring back any leftovers so all is ok. Didn't eat more than I should have=--just not things I could have on this diet--so it's starting over again tomorrow ridding myself of the carbs. Had terrbile cravings today and gave in a few times--donuts and muffins at work calling my name
New day tomorrow and the positive is that I did walk this morning and will tomorrow morning too.
It's late--I'll touch base with you tomorrow. Chin up girl--you're doing great getting yourself "legal: again--journal every morsel this week and get out in the nice weather--you'll see it on the scales next week.
Jo
Old 01-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #13  

Lynne-just logged on and found out about the major crash. Gusee we've lost alllof our correspondence since early November. Oh well--hope you hadn't posted anything in the last few days that I missed. How goes WW???? I've been following the diet since Sat. Out of town this weekend--but i did get to the grocery store for some sensible staples. Now to watch what goes into my mouth when we eat out! I'll be weighing on Monday--probably. No scale at the lake. MIL is going in for another surgery next week so I guess out lives will once again be turned upside down with the hospital runs----it never ends----
We booked out winter vacation this week YEA!!!! Going to Florida for 3 weeks in March. Beachouse for 8 days, condo for 4 more and my moms for a few days. I am looking forward to it--the rest of the time we're just bummin!!
Gonna run--I need to get packing for the weekend. Leaving for the lake right after work.
Take care--talk early next week.
Jo
Old 01-12-2004, 05:48 PM   #14  

Hi Lynne--Guess you haven't been around lately. Lost 3 pounds this week----would have lost more if I would have followed the program a little better--oh well--I'll take what I can Fixing dinner now so I'll talk later in the week. Hope all is well-
Jo
Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #15  
Beauty is within...

Well that was a bit of a mess!!! I've tried logging in a few times, but only finally got through tonight!

Jo, CONGRATULATIONS on the FANTASTIC loss!!!!! Every bit counts - trust me, it all adds up! It's taken me since September to lose 5 kilos overall, and most of the losses were quite small. But you hang in there, have good weeks that show positive losses, and before you know it you've reached a goal.

I'm getting more and more determined to knock this weight off. I've never felt this way before. Really "gritted teeth, darn determined" type of determination! I said to Marc that it's like when I feel like a Fanta at the end of a hot day in the garden. I think to myself, why would I want to waste the valuable points I've just earned with my exercise on a bottle of softdrink, when I can a diet softdrink or water?! I am so SICK of being fat, and hate all the side effects that come with it. My sore back. Sore feet. etc.

Jo, you hang in there too, and make each day accountable. I've finally realised that if I take the easy way out, or don't do the right thing today, it DOES make a difference to tomorrow and the whole week. That I have to make sure that each minute of each day is dedicated to my weight loss, and if I don't do my exercise, or if I do go over points, I'm only cheating myself out of getting to my goal quicker.....

Sorry, I'm really harping on aren't I?!

JO, the holiday sounds wonderful. And you're off to the lake this weekend.... sounds like you lead a lovely life. I hope I can look forward to relaxing times like that in the future...

I've been working hard to get my studio up and running so I can start painting again. I've also almost got the house under control - it's looking lovely and clean and uncluttered - and the garden's on the mend. Marc even started digging the veggie patch yesterday. WE've got some cherry tomatoes in pots that are starting to produce, but are struggling, so we've got to get them into the ground.

Another busy day tomorrow. We had a friend of Josh's around today, and they take a bit of maintenance, so didn't get much done. Got my WW weigh in tomorrow, hoping for a decent loss. Last week I lost, which was fantastic, but was hoping for more. Hopefully see a better result this week!

Good night!

Lynne

PS Really glad that this site is up again. I thought, wouldn't it be awful if it was totally lost?! What would I do without my buddies!!!
Closed Thread