Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default February Chat

Hi everyone:

Yesterday was really pleased. I got hungry while driving for work, and had a high protein granola bar instead of the junk food I got a craving for.
Today not so successful, went for groceries but was hungry, and binged on junk. Feeling crummy now. Hope I won't repeat that any time soon.

According to Wiarton Willie, (our local groundhog) or at least the pundits who are planning for him to see his shadow tomorrow, it will be a long winter. We are getting more snow, so time to bundle up and keep warm.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Fatmad I was starving for about 2 days this week and couldn't ever get satisfied until I had a nice salad. I wanted anything and everything those 2 days, but now I am finding that I have been really hungry for "healthy" foods. I went to the store today and got a lot of fruits and veggies.

I've really had a nice 2 days of eating OP.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #3  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Madeleine thanks for starting the new thread I don't know what I was thinking about I'll close the old one if Ruth hasn't

Hi Trish
Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #4  
~Learning Everyday~

S/C/G: 310.8/ ticker /175

Height: 5'7''

Hello February!! Im Down 13lbs in my first 2 weeks on IP....seriously can not wait to see my progress at the end of February. Im very excited and that drives me to be 100% OP. Good luck every body!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #5  
Madeleine

So Wiarton Willie saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of wintery weather. This is no surprise to me. I need to get out more. DH has been stellar about keeping the driveway shovelled so I can get out for work. I need to be outside more. If its just snowy and cold, and not arctic, I can do it.
Hoping to be more active in general.
We are neither hosting nor been invited to any Super Bowl activities, so temptation should not be a major problem today.
Hope you all have fun and stay on your (possibly modified) plan for the day.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for starting us up! I've been neglectful.

Weight is up a bit to 193 from not paying attention. I did discover last month that low-carb (induction) wreaks havoc with my FBGL so am going to do a moderate low carb. I will be avoiding all real sugar, of course, but do seem to need good carbs in my plan. Yesterday I made a super beef stew with veggies, incuding three of those very smal potatoes and this morning's reading is good.

Still have not been able to get back to the gym - very sore knees are the hold-back. I am off Aleve for the knee pain because it seems to have caused another problem - oral lichen planus which is related to the auto-immune system. And, of course arthritis is back without the Aleve! Sucks to get old but I've not given up!

Too bad Uncle Arthur comes to visit so soon after Aunt Flo has decamped!

Had a bad time last month when I stayed in the house due to illness, extreme cold or both! Lately it's been better since the weather has moderated. I've been keeping the deck stairs shoveled so dear old Disney can get down into the dog yard. I refuse to join the ranks of the old ladies who just stay in their houses this time of year and crab about the weather!

On we go with a better (and shorter) month.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #7  

Ruthie Good to see you checking in. Sorry about the knee problems. We do seem to have to baby our joints at this point. I agree we will see a better month this month. I too refuse to be one of those old women who sits at home all the time and becomes crabby about the weather and eventually everything else. I want to enjoy the rest of my life as much and as healthy as possible. I have also learned that I cannot do a strict low carb diet any more. As soon as I do, my fbs starts going up. I think I have to eat more low glycemic. I thought I could do vegan/vegetarian, but my fbs goes up when I try to do that. While can eat lots of veggies and some fruits, I seem to need to eat a more balanced diet. I think our bodies change over the years. Makes me wonder how much all of our dieting through out the years has contributed to this.

sweetenuf to the group and congratulations on 13 lb loss. Look forward to getting to know you.

I've been reading some about people who lose their weight and maintain. I've decided from what I read that it is better NOT to use exercise for losing weight. I think it is important to exercise, but if you use it for weight loss and something happens so that you can't exercise then it makes it easier to gain back what you lost. Successful maintainers eat the way they are going to eat the rest of their lives... NOT JUST TO LOSE WEIGHT and then go back to eating like we did before the diet. I've certainly made that mistake myself. I read that it is better to eat the same foods while losing weight the very same foods that you are going to want to eat when you reach goal so that will help us to maintain our goal weight once we get there. This makes absolutely sense to me. It is why Intuitive Eating teaches you to change your eating habits making a new lifestyle of eating rather than a diet. IE says dieters think of diets as something you do to lose weight and then go back to eating the way you ate before you dieted. So I'm trying to change my way of thinking about how I lose weight. It can be much slower, but the pay off is that it is more lasting. I think that is basically what WW really teaches... make "new" lasting healthy eating habits. Some do it and succeed and some don't.

Rennie Hope things are going well for you.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Well, my cold is back with a vengeance, or it's a different cold. I'm really tired of this. I am coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose and feeling run down and awful. My temp was up to 99 this afternoon. That's the first thing I check because if I get a fever, then it's probably more than a cold. I will keep checking it and if it's a problem I will be calling the dr. I have not been sick like this for several years. The only good thing about it is I've lost my appetite! LOL

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #9  
~Rennie

sweetenuf great job on the 13lbs gone

Ruth good to see you, sorry about your knees. That's funny about Uncle Arthur and Aunt Flo, thanks for the heads up

Mad no parties here either. I don't like football and my husband is at work, the boys will watch of course

Trish I agree that eating the way we plan to eat the rest of our lives is a great thing to do. However in order for me to eat properly I had to cut out a lot and I will have to gradually add GOOD things back in. Today is the last day of our consecration and I know that I don't want to go back to the way I ate before. It wasn't a good fit at all. But like someone said I know I need to find a balance in order to be successful. Maybe I can make a stew with only 3 small potatoes and only eat one or can I? That is my issue, discipline. I am going to start with the low carb bread, low carb tortilla and some quinoa wild rice blend I bought and see how it goes. I want to make a crustless chicken pot and see how I like that. I have so many ideas to keep me in check. I just pray I can follow through
Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #10  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, I hope you get better soon It's 64 degree outside right now. Feels better outside than in, it's a little chilly in here ... to me Feel better my friend
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #11  

Carol Sue Sorry I missed you while back. Sorry you are sick again. I hope you will be feeling better soon.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I feel better today. I didn't get up until 11:30AM. It felt good to sleep in. I am OK until I start coughing, then I can't stop. Still no appetite.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #13  
Madeleine

Hi all: no time to check in yesterday. I am supposed to be off call and doing office work all week, but had to go to a delivery yesterday, as it was too busy not to do it. SO was up before dawn for a meeting and didn't get home until 930. Exhausted. Had a good night's sleep though.
Re the insomnia: visiting the naturopath has helped. I have very little insomnia now. We also completed mediation in the practice, so I am not sure how much is less anxiety and how much is the vitamins. The NP put me on vitamin B12 shots and a different b complex vitamin. I have to have these early am, not late in the day. In any case, I am sleeping much better.
Have not been doing well with weight and food, but am determined to change that.
Trish, I agree that exercise shouldn't be for weight loss. It makes me feel better. It will help us stay toned as we lose. Its good for us generally. And while we are doing yoga or are on the treadmill, we are not eating!
Ruth and those with arthritis. I have been really helped with the LivRelief Cream. In Canada it available at shoppers drug mart.
You just rub it on in affected places, and the pain is relieved. It is not like voltaren emulgel, there are no drugs in it, but it is working nicely. As you may (or may not ) remember, I am allergic to many pain meds, Aspirin and all the NSAID's like Aleve and Voltaren and Advil etc. So pain relief without medication is great.
I hope we all have a good week.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #14  
~Learning Everyday~

S/C/G: 310.8/ ticker /175

Height: 5'7''

Thank you every one for the warm welcome!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Trish, I agree that exercise shouldn't be for weight loss. It makes me feel better. It will help us stay toned as we lose. Its good for us generally. And while we are doing yoga or are on the treadmill, we are not eating!
So true. I think back to some of the things I did over the years that I thought I couldn't/wouldn't eat while doing, but exercise isn't one of them. I find that now that I have got into the habit of doing some sort of exercise everyday that I am able to sleep better. I don't have as many nights of insomnia as I used to have.

I'm within my points each day, but my weight just seems to be holding where it is. I'm really bored with food right now and kind of just grab what is easier to eat. DH is bored with the healthier stuff so that doesn't help. I have been lots of homemade veggie type soups and salads with some whole grain thrown in. Maybe when spring gets here, I will be ready for the fresh veggies etc. FBS was up a little bit today, but has been staying in the 140s. I got hungry for popcorn last night and made air popped, but I think it must raise my fbs because it is always up a little bit the next day. My body just doesn't tolerate it.
Closed Thread