WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 11:33 AM   #1  

Angry

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 3 of WW at home. I try to keep my points as low as possible before 5:00pm since it is once I'm home that I fall into trouble! The more points I have at night - the less stressed I am about what I eat.

I need some really good low point breakfast ideas. I've been eating granola bars but all the sugar can't be good for me!!

I appreciate your suggestions -

Debbie :-)
[email protected]
Old 05-02-2001, 11:42 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I sometimes have the following for breakfast:

Yogurt (2 pts) with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of Grape Nuts
Egg (2) with a piece of toast (1)
LF Nutrigrain Waffle (1 pt each) with a tad of pb

It depends on my mood, how much time I have, etc. on what I have. I've also kept instant oatmeal on hand for a quick breakfast.

Hope the suggestions help!

Melissa
Old 05-02-2001, 12:41 PM   #3  

Default Low Point Breakfast Ideas

Try filling up at breakfast, lunch and even a snack in the afternoon so you aren't so hungrey in the evening. Plan your day and go for mini meals spread out.

I like 2 Cinnamon Bran Muffins for breakfast made with Kelloggs Extra Fiber Bran Cereal,
recipe on www.dottisweightlosszone.com message board of recipes under breads. 3 pts. Or try Kashi Go Lean Cereal with 1/4 c. dried cranberries and milk for 5 pts. The new Kashi Go lean Crunch Cereal is a wonderful dry snack with plenty of water. It is 3 pts for 1 cup. Even with 1/2 a cup you will be full. Kashi Go Lean Bars are large for 5 pts but 1/2 at 2 1/2 pts is very satisfying. www.kashi.com has a location map that will tell you if a store in your area sells their products. Don't forget W W zero point soup for lunch. I like cereal for lunch.
Old 05-02-2001, 12:49 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

1 cup of Egg Beaters scrambled or made into an omelet with zero point veggies topped with salsa = 1 point

2 slices light bread toasted + 3 slices Hillshire Farms Deli Select Ham (or Healthy Choice Ham) + 1 slice 2% American Cheese + 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters cooked flat = 3 points

1 Sara Lee Mini Bagel + 1 slice Hillshire Farms Deli Select Ham (or Healthy Choice Ham) + 1/2 slice of 2% American Cheese + 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters cooked flat = 2 points

1 6" reduced fat tortilla rolled around 1/4 cup Egg Beaters and 1 tablespoon 2% shredded cheese = 2 points
Old 05-02-2001, 02:39 PM   #5  

I really enjoy the following for breakfast:

1. Ducan Hines 100% bran muffins..i substitute applesauce for the oil and egg beaters for the egg. A huge regular size muffin is one point...I have two..and a huge glass of water or milk for breakfast. I stay full until lunch.

2. 2 slices reduced calorie bread, 1 Tablespoon peanutbutter, and 1.5 T Strawberry simply fruit for a wonder pb and jelly sand. 4 points. I have trouble getting my fat in for the day and this is an easy way.

By the way how many points is 1/4 cup egg beater?
Old 05-02-2001, 06:09 PM   #6  
Chick-a-dee

My 2 most favorite breakfasts:

1: 1/2 c egg beaters cooked in a non-stick skillett with butter flavored PAM. Don't stir, just let it bubble and set up like an omelette. Toast 2 slices lite bread, make a sandwich of the egg (I fold it into a square) bread and 1 slice Bordon 2% cheese. Better than McDonalds and only 3 points.

2. 2 slices lite bread, toasted, with 1 slice 2% cheese and a boca burger. (nuke Boca Burger for 1 minute first)
Also 3 points!

This thread is making me hungry!

Annie
290/208/150 ish
Old 05-02-2001, 06:21 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Default Grab and Go Breakfasts!

cspinet.org
This site has some tips on Grab and Go type breakfasts and all are less than 400 cal/8 fat grams (they don't give specifics but all a very simple and easy to figure the poitns)
Old 05-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #8  

Default Hi There!

I usually like to use 4 pts for my breakfast. One of my favorites is to take 8oz boiled potatoes cut up into bite size pieces and "fry" them in pam for some yummy home fries for 3 pts, then I eat a 3-eggwhite omelette with onions, tomatoes, mushroom and green peppers for a delicious and filling 4pt breakfast. I prepare it the night before and nuke it in the microwave for my 9:15am break at work.

On days when I need something quicker I take a ff yogurt and get a plain toasted english muffin at the cafeteria for a 4 pt breakfast.

Sometimes I have 1 cup of multi-grain cheerios with 1/2 cup of skim milk for 2pts and I usually have a ff (2pt) yogurt with that.

Anyway, hope these things help a bit.

Brenda
Old 05-03-2001, 08:28 AM   #9  

I also like having lots of points left for the evenings, so I usually have low point breakfasts. I usually have a 1-point serving of either FiberOne or Kashi cereal and skim milk. Sometimes I have the cereal mixed with 1-point yogurt instead of using milk. I've also been known to have 0-point veggies for breakfast. This is great when I'm late because I always have some cut up in the fridge and I can just grab them when I run out the door.

Since I eat breakfast between 5 and 6, I usually have a 1-point serving of fruit about 9 or 9:30. Then I have a salad with 1 or 2 points of extras for lunch. This leaves me lots of points when I get home so that I can have a healthy snack immediately and then eat a regular meal with the family.

This is what works the best for me. This is how I lost my 98 pounds and I've been lifetime for almost 5 years.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:09 AM   #10  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I am like you. I try to save points for the evening because I KNOW that I am going to want to eat. I feel that by saving them I am not cheating,and don't feel guilty about eating.

I usually try to stick to a 4 (ish) pt breakfast. Today I had a ff yogurt for 1 pt and 2 weight watchers whole wheat pieces of toast for 1 pt and 1 tsp of butter for another point. TOTAL 3 points.

I try to eat a 6- 9 point lunch and for supper about a 6-9 pt supper....that saves 5 points for after the kids are in bed snacking time

HTH

Angie
Old 05-03-2001, 09:28 AM   #11  

Just curious about you who save your points for the evening and eat light during the day...what do you eat in the evening? Are you eating a balanced diet? WW recommends 0-3 points per day on sugary and snack foods, do you adhere to this? I'm an afternoon eater myself but I try to limit it to fruits, vegetables and an occasional piece of cheese. I need ideas...I'm getting bored.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:12 AM   #12  

Default Thank you!!

Thanks to everyone who posted the yummy breakfast ideas!

Kelly - you made my mouth water!! I'm running out to get those egg beaters now!

Thanks everyone - I appreciate your help.

XOXO
Debbie M.

P.S. For those who wanted to know - I save my points for at night because I find when I cook dinner for my hubby - it is difficult to stay with low point foods (he's a meat, starch, veg kinda guy!). I try to limit my portions but like to have more freedom with food choices.
Old 05-03-2001, 01:17 PM   #13  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Rather than saving points for the evening, I start counting with dinner as my first meal. Then I spread out my remaining points into mini meals for the next day, ending with one in the afternoon before I start to cook. Then I'm less tempted to munch while I cook. Although I have been known to eat up some of the carrots, celery, and bell peppers and have to cut more for the recipe.

My other trick, which I use to allow me to keep the portion sizes of the meal down is to always have a bowl of low-point (0-2 points) soup and at least 2 cups of salad with every dinner. I also try to get in one more 0 point veggie, either as a side dish or as a part of the recipe. Then I find I'm very full on much fewer points. This is especially helpful when I'm cooking that meat and potatoes style that men seem to adore. I have three men to cook for since my cats and I are the only females in my house.

As for breakfast, I usually eat 4-5 points because if I don't eat enough at breakfast, I get too hungry and overeat by lunch. I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked in 1 cup skim milk, plus 1 point of maple syrup to top it off. 5 points. Or I eat a soft-boiled egg, 1 slice of toast with a half teaspoon of butter or a teaspoon of jam, and a piece of fruit. Also 5 points. (I only count the butter or jam if I eat another half point serving of something to make a full point.)

Lin
Old 05-03-2001, 10:11 PM   #14  

Default More protein???

Hi Debbie,

I find that if I have more protein, I am more satisfied. (I go by the numbers in the WW booklet, The Right Mix). And I do better if I have a little more at breakfast.

One of my favorite breakfasts that really sticks with me is:
2 hard boiled eggs (4)
2 Tablespoons of non or low fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese (1)

2 piece of Orrowwheat Lite Toast (1)
Total of 6 points

Mash the eggs while they are still warm. Add the cream cheese to it and divide and spread it on the toast.

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. To cut points further, you could replace the whole eggs with egg beaters (1/2 cup is the same as 2 eggs and only has 2 points) or egg whites (they also come in cartons). (Nuke in a custard cup and cover it with a napkin or something so it doesn't pop all over your microwave. )
Total of 4 points

Another breakfast that is quick, easy, good for on the go, and sticks with me is:

1 ff tortilla (2 points)
1 T. Better n Peanut Butter (1)
banana (2)

Spread the BnPB on the tortilla, place banana in center and wrap like a burrito.
Old 05-04-2001, 07:00 AM   #15  
Hip Highland Chick

One of my favorite breakfasts is to scramble 3 egg whites (1PT) and top it with about a cup of sliced mushrooms "sauteed" in a non-stick pan w/butter spray (0PT) and a little bit of salsa (0PT). I add a slice of lite toast (1PT) and a glass of V-8 (0PT). It's ALOT of food, and hardly any points. I usually follow this up with a 1-2 PT serving of fruit for a snack 2 hours or so after breakfast.

Another good breakfast for me is a Soy Shake (2PT) blended with water, ice and fresh fruit (1-2 PT). It's alot of protein to keep me satisfied, and I feel like I'm really cheating with a milk shake for breakfast!

Good Luck!
Closed Thread