Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default 5k!

I've never been able to run. I played all kinds of sports. But running more than 30 second felt like I was going to die. Even when not overweight young.

This journey I don't know why but I guess because I was changing so much I said now is the time.

I started in brutal Central Texas heat in August. I couldn't run 30 seconds. But I kept with my C25K program. Had a calf injury, crutches that I couldn't run for a month. Started virtually over.

But today was my first 5K. My longest training run was 30 mins. My only goal was not to stop jogging. I didn't stop. Did the 5K in 39 mins something. 12.42 min a mile pace. Faster by far than any training run.

I felt stronger in the second half. So proud. Anything is possible for me. Sub 200 for sure this year. And probably a 10K this year also. If I can run anyone can. And it really helps weight loss IMO when you are overweight. Maybe other things are better when closer to goal. But with a bit to loose it really helped me.

And the fitness is literally priceless.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/289/145

Height: 5'7"

Way to go!

I start my C25K today and I'm excited. I use to love running, hoping I can get back into it and love it again. Right now I hate it with a passion since its pretty hard with carrying all this extra weight.
all4meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #3  
diamondgeog

Stick with it. Yep it is extra hard with being overweight. But it helps weight loss a lot.

I repeated weeks over and over until I felt comfortable. It was NOT an 8 week program for me. And that is OK. The important thing was I was moving.

Legs are starting to hurt now. I guess to be expected. I went 10 mins longer, half a mile more, and faster for me than ever before.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 299/289/145

Height: 5'7"

Thats awesome on going further and longer. Keep up the good work on it.
all4meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

That's awesome. I always think I'm the only one that felt like they were going to die after 30 seconds. I mean, it's not that long. But I started running, too. And at least the IDEA of a 5K is no longer laughable to me. I'll be honest, I never did the math. I just assumed a 5K is akin to a mini marathon. Funny, once I realized it's like 3 miles, even though I can't run yet for even half a mile without stopping, it didn't seem so laughable anymore.

I always WANTED to run but never kept up with it. A big reason? Not cramps but BLISTERS! I finally got the right socks (well, and also a pair of RUNNING shoes but I only started out with my regular walking sneaks). No fun to walk even when you get a blister after half a mile and I wasn't going to keep walking in my Born sandals, tho, I know I can walk a LOT of miles in them with no blisters.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Way to go!!!! I think the 5K distance is like this perfect threshold. When you can't run yet, it seems so far and it is so hard to work up to it, and after you can run three miles adding distance and time goals is SO MUCH EASIER. It's like the moment you start understanding a foreign language, even if you can't speak well yet.

And I'm so happy you've discovered running and like it! For me, running is not so much a weight loss aid. I've gained a lot of weight while running regularly and lost a lot while running sporadically...but what it does do is make me feel good and strong and happy. It helps me manage stress. It helps me bond with my dog. It helps me cement friendships with my running buddies. It helps me fight depression. It gives me time and space to think or to just not think. When I'm anxious, it calms me. When I'm run-down, it gives me energy. It's like a magic panacea available anytime I head out my door. So congratulations again, and welcome to the beginning of years of joy.

Last edited by Secret Swan; 02-01-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #7  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #8  
diamondgeog

Thanks. I agree it is a good mind tonic. And body. Gets your endurance and oxygen use up like crazy.

I've heard as time goes on it can be not a super help in weight loss. But for me it has been very good for weight loss. My best weeks and months in weight loss have tracked with running 1 to 1. Probably because I am getting in shape for the first time in my life.

It was amazing getting stronger. I can definitely see doing a 10K. This really builds a great fitness foundation.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations! I just know you felt FANTASTIC completing that!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Congratulations! I am a big 5k walker and am hoping to move up to running! Once this weather breaks I plan on training on my own to build up to this. LOL right now just going for a minute or two is hard but I know I can do it!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #11  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good job!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote