Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Default cornstarch and thickened sauces. need help!

Hey All, Im making a recipe in the crockpot and usually after any sort of crockpot recipe I add some cornstarch to the sauce to help thicken it a bit. From my understanding cornstarch is not allowed... does anyone know of a way to stay OP and make the sauce thicker?? Thanks guys! Hope everyone is having an awesome IP day!
jojobananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Veggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobananas View Post
Hey All, Im making a recipe in the crockpot and usually after any sort of crockpot recipe I add some cornstarch to the sauce to help thicken it a bit. From my understanding cornstarch is not allowed... does anyone know of a way to stay OP and make the sauce thicker?? Thanks guys! Hope everyone is having an awesome IP day!
When I am doing my chicken, I take out some of the softened, not too soft, veggies from the pan. I puree them in my blender with some of the chicken broth. Then return that slurry sort of product back into the pot.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #3  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm so new to IP that I don't know if arrow root is allowed. When I followed adkins that is what is used. It gave the clear look and consistency like that of corn starch. You only needed a little bit in fact. I found it in powder from from my local health food store.

Anyone who's been on IP longer that I know if arrow root is okay?
Johnsdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

I usually cook some of the liquid down on top of the stove separately just before serving myself, and found this idea on a web site...which I checked to find out the nutritional data for arrowroot and cornstarch.. Adding a little pureed or mashed veggies would do the trick nicely to really thicken. My husband is NOT a fan of cornstarch or any "filler" in his food so I've never used anything except the natural juices.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/recipes/recipe166.php
Suz's Tips on How to Thicken & Add body to Soups, Stew, Sauces & Gravy

Stew
  1. When the meat is tender in a stew, drain the remaining liquid to a separate saucepan, simmer until reduced, add back to the stew. Remember that salty flavor will intensify as you reduce the liquid.
  2. Cook extra vegetables into the recipe, when everything is tender, remove some of the cooked veggies to a blender, puree and return to the pot. Simmer a few more minutes to let flavors and textures combine.
So would say this idea is seconded ..or "firsted"..by Schenectedy!!

Last edited by 65X65; 01-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/204/170-ish

Height: 5'8"

I (sparingly) us Xantham gum; have it on hand to cook for gluten-free relatives. It does contain 30 calories/tablespoon, but a little goes a long way!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #6  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I also use xanthan gum and it takes a very small amount but works well.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/173.5/160

Height: 5'7"

I was wondering if you could use the IP pancake mix to make a dry roux for thickening and for gumbo/étouffée. I.e., instead of browning flour in a cast iron skillet or microwave, brown the pancake mix instead. Thoughts?
Agilechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #8  

Agar or gelatin could also probably help, though they offer a different consistency from cornstarch. Um, coconut flour (a little goes a LONG way!), bean flour or even almond flour might also work.

Last edited by Defining; 02-02-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote