Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #1  

Default Pickles?

I am sure it has been asked, but, what about pickles in phase 1? I am 54 , male, was 226 wednesday and I am not a fan of veggies. I was eating 6-8 celery stalks, some lettuce and a few hot peppers. Thought I was going to fall asleep any second all day yesterday so I ate a few dills and a few gherkins. Seems to be ok ish. Have to say though when I woke up today I could barely get out of bed and was ready for a nap at breakfast! So I had a forbidden orange. Have felt great all day. I just don't see a way to get more than a few carbs from the given veggies. Am I off track?226 Wed, 225 Thurs, 225 Fri, 223 Sat and 222 today. I did expect more first week.

Last edited by Big Pickle; 01-27-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spell
Big Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Well cucumbers are allowed but you have to watch out for added things in the pickling process. I am also not sure what effect this has on the nutrients of the cucumber. The point of the veggies is get what you need nutrient wise, and the filling fiber, but you can/should also eat fats. Is that all you ate celery, peppers, and lettuce? During induction you are supposed to increase your fat and protein and get 12-15 of your daily carbs from greens. You can have a variety of meets and cheeses too. The book will help you understand better what to eat, why to eat it, and how often to eat it. If you haven't read it already I recommend doing so. Hope this helps.

And on another note a lot of people feel very low on energy the first few days of atkins "induction flu" usually around day 4 (day 5 for me) you get a nice burst of energy and continue to feel that way if you are following things as they are meant to be. and as for expecting more the first week in order to achieve ketosis we must lower our carbs and increase our fat. Ketosis is that wonderful thing that makes us drop weight so readily. For many the first week is a lot of water weight loss because we hold water with all those carbs, once that levels out it will be fat loss if you are following it correctly. Be sure to drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day.

Last edited by Brooklynn; 01-27-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #3  

Sorry. I was getting the protein I was just pointing out the lack of veggies. I have been eating tuna salad, not sub from Subway for lunch and pre cooked hamburger patty at dinner. So yesterday I tried some odd things. Scrambled eggs for breakfast, Had the Clementine (felt great all day)hamburger patty with gherkins and pepper jack cubes at lunch. Dinner was 4 pre cooked wings, celery stalk, gherkins, a dill, pepper jack. Lost 3 Pounds!! 219. I think I will keep a half or whole Clementine in. I am also taking Centrum Silver and a 1200/500 Calcium- magnesium vitamin. Today i am trying the Atkins shake as breakfast. Bought the bars but I have a fear of them. Should I? I think thats 7 LBS in 5 days?

Last edited by Big Pickle; 01-27-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

For a lot of people the atkins products cause stalls but each person is different. You will really have to just try them and find out. However, Dr. Atkins really only meant them for those times when you couldn't get to a meal not just as a daily meal replacement. It is very common to lose a lot of weight in the first couple weeks because of some water loss and the bigger you are the faster it comes off and that is true with pretty much any diet. I lost 10 lbs in two weeks but when I did this before I dropped 20 so really it just depends on the person, how they are following the rules, and so on. As for the Atkins bars there is a really could thread by Jersey girl that links you to an article about sugar alcohols its a good read to get more info.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

What about homemade pickles? Sliced cukes (along with minced garlic and sliced onions, my fave) in a bit of vinegar and left for a couple days but I'm not sure if that is okay for Atkins ph 1 though?
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #6  

That's funny. I actually have a jar that a work associate sends me every Christmas. Just not sure as they are kind of sweet. After yesterdays loss I am afraid to mess it up!!! The beach is only 4 months away!

Last edited by Big Pickle; 01-27-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Periods
Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I eat pickles (dill, not sweet or sweet-n-sour) fairly regularly.

Atkins had them as an alternative to lettuce on induction on his original 1972 plan...
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #8  

Think it must be time to get away from the Subway tuna Salad. Couldn't quite finish yesterday, felt stuffed. And it was a no loss day. Can't have those.. Must be the mayo they use combined with having dropped7 LBS fast.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

BigPickles- it could be the mayo and/or sodium?? I just wanted to say it may be cheaper for you to make your own tuna salad and you could add more to it to sort of bulk it up, ya know? Congrats on those 7lbs lost!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #10  

So no tuna salad yesterday and cut back the gherkins. 2 LBS LOSS! Back on track.9 LBS in 6 days. All of the sudden my pants waist band fits!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #11  

No loss again yesterday but 1LBS today. Odd pattern . But I will take it!! 10 LBS in 9 days!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #12  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

BIG PICKLE! woohooooooo Nice LOSS! Congratutions to you! Keep going and enjoy yourself...

Note: pickles have alot of sodium too... which holds water.. just a note....and who knows what is in those premade mayo salads from fast food places. You never quite know. Can you make your own mayo based salad? Should be easy peasy! (and tasty as you can add your own speicy spices and what ever veggie too...

I am looking forward to hearing about your wonderful and successful journey!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/220/160

Height: 5'6"

Aren't you supposed to consume sodium during induction though? I read about the cup of broth or a couple tablespoons of soy sauce to help your body to keep some water and not dehydrate or something like that? Seems dill pickles would help those of us who don't like veggies AND get us the sodium we need, no?
cattwoman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #14  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello Cattwoman and yep you can have sodium... but there is alot of sodium in all foods naturally.. I just wanted to warn Big Pickle that there was extra sodium and that holds water and did not want him to be discouraged. That was all I intended. (you would be surprised the sodium in an egg! its wild!)
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote