Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default LWL #137 -- week of January 12 - 18

I get to start the new thread - yippee!

Had a good LBWO this morning - it was hard dragging my butt out of bed, but I did it - a little late, but I did it!

TOM started, so that would explain the cravings of last week - good to know. I hope that means this week will be back to normal.

You gals have great day!
Cindy
Old 01-12-2004, 09:49 AM   #2  
Lovin' Zumba!

Ok, this is weird - when I first logged in this morning, I could see all of our old threads - 17 pages of them, in fact. But, now that I started a new thread, they are gone again! I can go back with my browser to see those pages, but not if I refresh. Anyone else experiencing this?
Cindy
Old 01-12-2004, 09:54 AM   #3  

SOOOO glad the forum is back up! I've been seemingly MIA, but I've been lurking.

Way to go on the 50 pound marker, Cindy! I can see how you overlooked it, though. When I did Weight Watchers, there was such a focus on the number on the scale, that I was very aware of how much I'd lost. Nowadays, when someone asks, I have to whip out a calculator to come up with an answer!

Eating has been far from stellar, but my workouts are right on. I'm following a pretty intense workout schedule for the next month, after which time I'll re-evaluate and change it up a bit if I need to.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #4  

Default I'm Home!

Hello Ladies! It's good to be home. Back on track as of this morning at 0500! That's 5 AM in the civilian world as my DH would say. Went to the gym and got in touch with my old friend the treadmill. Felt good. Now, it's off to hit the showers and eat. Then, it's off to work! Yippeeeee - I love my new job. I've missed you all.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #5  

HELLO!!

Started off the week right eating clean, got my workout and and Im psyched about tomorrow already!

Ok, maybe thats because I just got some extra motivation.... next boxing day my parents, sister, MIL and hubby are going on a carribean cruise!

No real interesting other stuff to say... oh I started making shakes for breakfast, and was wondering if anyone else uses cottage cheese and protien powder in their shakes? I find it keeps me full longer. Here's my shake recipie.

1 scoop chocolate PP
1 small banana
1/4 cup non fat milk
ice
1tsp natural peanut butter (FINALLY found this!!)
1/4-1/2 cup blended cottage cheese
1tsp cocoa powder
water to desired thickness

I find that this is much more filling than just eating PP and banana. Just an idea for those of u out there who dont like the sweetness of PP, and have the problem of feeling hungry soon after eating. This comes out nice and thick and not too sweet at all! I couldnt be happier!

Tidey
Old 01-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #6  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Red face Tidey

When I first start BFL back in 2001 I used to add CC to my shakes all the time because it was the only way that I could stomach it. I haven't done it in a while so thanks for the reminder!

Life is busy for me - my house hasn't been empty for about 6 weeks now so it's been a challenge with food and exercise. I do well on the odd day that we don't have visitors but when they are around I find it very hard.

I hope that everyone had a good weekend.

JC
Old 01-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #7  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey - Tidey that does look good. I am in the new recipe trying mode now and also thinking of how to fit cooking, exercising, etc. into a more efficient and effective working situation for myself. Mornings are the toughest and I like the looks of it for speed and taste.

I recently tried a turkey meatloaf from the L&S board, it is the KK Turkey meatloaf and it doesn't strictly fit the way I have been trying to eat but it is very delicious and I have been losing w/ it in my diet the last 2 weeks so I'm keeping it. You may want to check it out, it has been the best new thing I have tried in a while. I am also loving my Eating for Life cookbook more and more. I am planning to try turkey meatballs from that book this week w/ my spaghetti squash, gotta go shpping first though. It has taken me a while to warm up to ground turkey but the meatloaf has turned me around on that.

I had planned for today to be my rest day but it looks like work is going to demand 12 hours of me tomorrow so I plan to do tomorrow's workout tonight and have tomorrow a rest day (well a day w/o exercise). I am back at work and SO want to make everything work for me this semester. Last semester I think I was just worn out, too many off days from exercise and too many nibbles and tastes. Anyway, thank god for a new year, some new energy, and some great ideas to keep it all together.

I am doing something new to spark myself. I signed up for an 8 week yoga class that starts on Th. evening. It will be good to workout in a group since all my other workouts are of a solitary nature, in my basement.

Mel, I meant to say how much I liked your post last week when you were telling about your trainees. It sounds as if this is going to be a wonderful thing for you. It is so cool how your fitness lifestyle has given you a new career.

Have a good week everyone.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:03 PM   #8  

Hi LWL!

It's a gray day here, and I've been in a gray mood all day. Got my lifting in and eats on clean and on-track. I was forced to do a schaedule change today, so I'll do my cardio, a tri, this evening after a light final meal.

Did finally talk to the inepts at my schlock of a gym today and their computer is finally fixed. I've only waited 3.5 weeks for my Body Fat percent from 5# ago when I did my 90 day check, Dec. 19 I am down to 28%(188#) from 32% at 208#. At 248, I was 41%BF. Total inches lost is 40.25.

In the beginning, I used to put all kinds of stuff in my shakes, but stopped because it was killing my calories intake. My shakes are 1 scoop chocolate whey PP and 1/2 cup of Fat Free Cottage Cheese, blended in water with crushed ice. Still very filling, and usually my meal 4 before dinner. Some times I'm still too full from it to eat the entire meal 5. I've also cut back on PB, and it's a once a week treat as are bananas which set off carb cravings.

Well, DH is on his way, so I best get off and get ready to give him the June Cleaver welcome. Check back later.

dip
Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Default Good evening all!!!!!

Hey June! / Dip: I hear you on the shakes, I used to put alot of stuff in mine too and I felt like I wasted alot of calories for just a shake...I also get set off into a carb out if I have a banana... I find that really funny...

Niffer: Glad to hear you've got the ball rolling again and that you're enjoying your new job, that's soooo important IMO... and I agree welcome home!!

ledom I too am just starting to enjoy ground turkey... I make tacos with it and you can barely tell it's turkey with all those spices... Good for you on the Yoga class, you'll probably enjoy it alot...

Tidey ~~ Are you going to the Carribean too? You don't mention yourself there at all... Just wondering... I sure hope so...

Indi Robin ~~ I thought of you today girl! When I made a real effort and went to the gym at [/B]3PM[B]!! Dang is that a drum roll I hear??!! It wasn't so bad when I got there but got really busy at around 4PM... ut I was done, did and ... Gotta love that!!

Well gotta go, take care all...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 01-12-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:19 PM   #10  

oops! Yep, I am going Ilene hehe.

Bananas dont set off carb cravings for me, but potatoes and pasta sure do!

And right NOW, Im going to bed

Tidey
Old 01-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I bought the EFL book last night but it will probably take 6 weeks or so to get here from the US! Ledom - since I have to wait so long - you know the recipe for hazelnut brownies - could you PM it to me? I am dying to know what they are like since I am a chocoholic. Thanks!

JC
Old 01-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #12  

OK,ok.. I'm here to introduce myself finally. I've been lurking for a while here and HATE it when the board goes down! I'm in Canada, 35, single (kinda), no kids but look like I've had twenty! Typical lifestory, overweight for 34 of my years here and am tired, tired tired of my own excuses/self sabatoge. Currently at 257#, I worry for my health and moreso my LIFE. The exta weight prevents me from LIVING the life I want, and only assists in maintaining a delapitating self-esteem. My life interactions are dictated by the weight and how I think I will be percieved.

I've done the sweaters in summer, the "no's" to invitations where I think I will be the largest there, run (yeah, hehe as if) when I see someone who hasn't seen me for years, freakin about airline seats and trays, missed the amusement rides because of the seatbelts, ect.. ect.

I've noticed my pattern of switching from one eating plan to another, always coming up with some lame excuse as to why I dont think its right for me, and have just decided......whatever man! - Anything is better than what your doing now. I DO believe in the "white" carb philosophy and find I can pretty much do without the white stuff as long as I have suitable replacements.

I decided on BFL plan, as the eating is something I can follow for the most part. The lifting is EXCITING to me, as I LUUUUUV the feeling of FEELING my muscles work!! The cardio.. well.. lets just say I'd rather stick needles in my eyes, but its all part of the package. Reading on a site promoting the benefits of lifting, (a site recommended here), the author said if cardio is all you needed, why do runners look like beef jerky. I thought that was one of the funniest (yet true) things I've heard in a long while.

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer. I'm hypothyroid, and wondering if there are supplements I should stay away from, or perhaps, should be more geared to?

Also, I find lately, when I've been doing cardio (usually the bike with handles that move back and forth) I don't sweat alot even tho I do the intervals and ride for roughly twenty minutes. Is this normal? Am I not working hard enough? At the highest intervals, I'm breathing like something in heat .. so it seems as tho I'm working hard enough, but maybe not?

I have loads of other questions, but I'll stick with only these for now. Btw, thank you for the recipe for the perogies.. It sounds awesome but havent tried it yet because the program is new to me and I'm still trying to get things down pat.

All my equipment is at home. I have the bike, and a workout bench that has the preacher bench and part where you can do the leg curls and stuff (sorry - not up on the lingo yet..hehe). Would this be sufficient for a bit? I cant afford the gym right now, so I hope this will do. I also have a gym ball with a video that.....WOW... gets my muscles moving and sore the next day. (It doesnt take much at this point..hehe)

Please dont wish me luck, and I will try not to say " I hope.." in any of my posts. I believe that it is a matter of just doing it, making it a part of your life, and if you slip, you get up and keep going.

Thank you all for the support you have offered without even knowing all who you were helping (me). All you guys are fantastic!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #13  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Sunlover - very nice to meet you. You seem to have a very honest attitude which I respect. With regards to your questions - I know very little about being hypothyroid so no help there. With regards to the sweating - perhaps you aren't going hard enough at it - I always sweat profusely - both inside and outdoors. The other option is that because your VO2 capacity (lunges) is low you may not be able to go hard at this point. Once this improves through the regular exercise you should be able to elevate your metabolism high enough to induce sweating. Give it a bit of time and always push yourself at every workout to do that little bit better and go that little bit further.

Your gym sounds more than sufficient as long as you have a decent set of weights and dumbbells to supplement the machine.

You are dead right when you fall down - you get back up again and keep riding!

Our support is here if you need us.

JC
Old 01-12-2004, 07:54 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

SUNLUVER!!! And since you've been a long time lurker You know the drill............WE LUVS NEWBIES!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunluver
Reading on a site promoting the benefits of lifting, (a site recommended here), the author said if cardio is all you needed, why do runners look like beef jerky. I thought that was one of the funniest (yet true) things I've heard in a long while.
On a similar note, the other day I was talking to a guy on a treadmill one thing he said did make sense. He said the most important thing IS cardio... Well I said I thought you needed both, but I prefered weights but that cardio was good for the heart and yes that it was important... He said : "Well if you don't have a good heart and that's the motor that keeps you running, you don't have anything...." Now there's something that's true... So I keep plugging with the cardio.... I dislike cardio too Sun so we can plug along together...

Sun, I won't wish you luck but "Bonne Chance!" ...

JEC -- I knew you'd know the answer to the cardio question, you're such a smart chickie ... Glad to have you back...

Later!!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #15  
JEC
Aussie and proud

you flatter me Ilene...... thanks

JC
Closed Thread