Old 01-11-2004, 08:57 AM   #1  

Smile LCFS week of 1/11/04

Good morning,
It is still frigid here. It's supposed to start getting warmer today, last a couple of days, then back into the deep freeze by Wed.

ANNE, it sounds like you are having a terrible time at work. I'm sure all your new aches and pains are all from stress. It sounds like you have a very full workload. Hopefully they will hire someone to help you very soon. I hate being interrupted while I'm concentrating on getting something done. Hope that you're getting some much needed pampering this weekend. Glad that BF is doing great things for you.

nikki, thanks for telling me how much the book costs at Walmart. I have always wondered what and if there was much of a price difference from Walmart & Sams Club. Our nearest Sams Club is about a 40-50 min. drive away and only go there occasionally. We do have a BJ's that is a lot closer, but doesn't seem to have the variety that Sams does. NH doesn't have a sales tax. Our school funding is paid for by our property tax. Our property taxes are rather high, but not as high as some other states. We also don't have a state income tax. How do you like Dr. Phil's eating guide? Naturally, I skipped the exercise part so I'll have to read it to see what he says.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Aleka
Old 01-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #2  

Excuse me, while I pick myself up off the floor Aleka, you are sooooo lucky. We have some of the highes property tax you can imagine. Our state income tax is about double the federal, the sales tax, like I said, is 6 %. Our schools are constantly complaining about having no money, and from what I see, they don't supply the kids with what they need, like when I was a kid. Our roads are all full of potholes, they are turning off every other street light to save money on electricity, they are laying off cops, teachers and state workers. Gambling is a state run venture and makes billions for our state, but who knows really where that goes, it was suppose to go to the schools when that was first started. The weather is aweful most of the year (too cold, too hot, too humid, too dry, we got it all) and there is nothing to do here. I looked up your town on the internet (just entered the town and state in my search engine, it's amazing what you can find on the internet) and the price of houses are comparable to what they sell for here too. Now I'm really wondering why we stay here. It has always been because of family. I know we will never leave because of them and they probably stay for the same reason. Can I come live with you? I promise I wont eat much

Anne, I am so sorry to hear about the problems with your job and the new burden that has been put on your shoulders. It's very hard to try to do a million things all at once. I hope you get some help soon. It seems to me that when I was working, they were always adding more and more things in for us to do. Then if we complained, they would say that change is never easy. I think what it all comes down to is, they are trying to cut costs and make people do way more than they ever did before. They just keep pushing, to see what is possible. It doesn't make for a good working environment, that's for sure. Is there anyway you could transfer to a different department?
What Dr. Phil said in his new book about low carb diets is this- (quoting from page 2-3) The current preoccupation with ultra low-carbohydrate dieting in this country is of deep concern to me as a clinical and medical psychologist. What is so troubling from both a psychological and nutritional perspective is that most of these diets advocate eating less than 100 grams of carbohydrates a day, when in fact your body requires nearly double that amount for normal brain metabolism and muscle function.
When you deny your body and brain sufficient carbohydrates, it can damage your inner psychology. It can bring on fatigue, irritability, and mood changes, Why? Under normal circumstances, your brain uses roughly 500 calories worth of carbohydrates a day for optimal functioning, including the production of brain chemicals responsible for feelings of mental well being. So without carbohydrates, your mental and emotional edge is gravely affected. ---later--It is time for all this health-defeating, behavior-defeating pseudonutrition to stop. Nutritionally, the solution for successful weight loss is not ultra low-carbohydrate dieting--far from it. What can genuinely help you lose weight and keep it off is moderate nutrition across the board--moderate carbohydrates, moderate protein, and moderate fat, and this current, accurate information comes straight from nutritional scientists, not from wieght loss gurus and food faddists.---

This reminded me of the old saying, moderation in all things. I think that was going around before the nutritional scientists started to say it, but I'm no expert in diet and exercise like Dr. Phil is
Anyways, pretty scathing, if you ask me. Still, he does make some good, valid points.

Have either of you tried ediets? Last night, while I was just bored out of my mind, I clicked on Dr. P's picture and it went to ediets. I did the profile and then joined. It's $5 a week (you have to pay for a quarter at a time, or $65, but if you want to quit, the unused part is refunded). They have a lot of diet plans to chose from, Dr. Phils is one. They plan out a whole weeks worth of menu's for you, give you a shopping list and recipes. If you want to change the menu, they have alternatives to chose from. I like it and think it will make menu planning much easier. They also had Atkins, but they used so many Atkins products, it was turn off. With the Dr. Phil program, they did use his products, but only as an alternative. Anything to make this easier.

Well, I better get off here, I've written a small novel as it is, take care, Nikki
Old 01-11-2004, 11:43 AM   #3  

Angry

nikki, I am picking you up off the floor as I "speak". Well, you would be welcome to live here. Things aren't all that well with our tax system either. The town I live in is property rich, where a lot of land is waterfront. But, personal income is rather low. Most of our tax dollars are being sent to support schools in certain towns other than our own, mostly in the southern part of our state, where people have a higher income, but not as "property" rich. These towns have all the ammenities that we don't. We don't have garbage pickup, we have to take our's to the dump ourselves. We live on a private road which we have to plow ourselves. For a number of years they've been trying to find other ways to fund schooling, but everything keeps getting shot down. Until there are more "donor" towns, like where I live, than "receiver" towns, things probably will not change. The weather in the winter is horrid and the older I get the more I hate it. The summer can be very hot and humid, but I don't seem to mind that too much. Fall is absolutely gorgeous. It's funny, I've envied you your temps and weather over this past year when we were having cool, damp, rainy weather and you're days were sunny and mild. Our cold weather lasts for months, and we can have snowfall in Oct. and last into April. I guess every state has its problems. Sorry this is so long.
Aleka
Old 01-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #4  

Aleka,
Your right, we do have warmer weather more often and we are dryer more often too. In fact, its going to be in the 40's today, so I shouldn't complain. Still, it's not Florida.
I think the question of who should pay for schools and where the money is going and coming from is a universal problem, or at least a big problem here in the US. I get so ticked off about it. Every few years, they raise the sales tax. Now, there is a local sales tax too of .01, again for the schools. I know, it's not much, but the thing is, when they start up a new tax, they always raise it eventually.
I try to not even think about politics, it just gets my b/p up.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #5  

Hi Aleka: Here I am 3x's I have been typing away I hear a sound and I am bumped to the main forum board . Don't know what that is about. If is happens again I give up. I read what Nikki wrote about Dr. Phil's comments on low-card with interest. Yesterday I read a article in the Health section of the Toronto Star by the Art's critic no less who just lost 25 lbs. in 6 weeks and basically he said no starch no sugar, eat early and often and in moderation, no fruit later in the day. Anyway it was a very interesting article. If you want to read it go to torontostar.com, the Saturday edition in the Health section. The article was by Richard Guzounian. I have been thinking about it since I read it. Check it out. He calls himself a serial dieter, sounds fimiaiar doesn't it? Well talk to you soon.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #6  

Hi Lynn,
Actually, Dr. Phil does say no sugar too, but not low carb.
Here's the first days menu-
Breakfast
high fiber cereal, skim milk, 1 egg, strawberries, coffee or tea
Snack
pear
Lunch
tuna on lettuce with one slice of tomato, green peppers, radishes, other salad vegetables, 2 tbs. low cal italian dressing
snack
yogurt mixed with apricot preserves
Dinner
chicken breast, asparagus, summer squash.

Well, there are a million diets out there, you just have to find something you can live with. I'm having a hard time with this myself. I think with all of them, moderation is the key. I have never understood moderation and that is my biggest problem.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #7  

Welcome alynn! I am glad that you have posted on our thread. I went into the Toronto Star and printed out the article. Thank you for recommending it. I have come to realize that to lose weight it all boils down to calories, no matter where they come from. I am having a tough time finding something that I can live with permanently. Yep, a serial dieter does sound familiar.

nikki, what do you think of Dr. Phil's food guide book? I tried 2 turkey sausages with my cereal this morning.... I managed to get only 1 down. I prefer eating the turkey bacon, but don't know if I can do that everyday. The thought of eating an egg with my cereal I could eat an egg with low carb toast though.

Hi ANNE, hope you had a good day today.

Have a good night everyone.
Aleka
Old 01-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #8  

Hi, We're back, looks like they have the new format up and running again. Good for the 3FC's, they do work hard and do a good job too.
I have been thinking about what Dr. P wrote and decided to email the Atkins site. I asked them to address what he said about the brain requiring 500 calories a day of carbs. It may take a week to get a reply, so I'll let you know what the reply is when I get it.
Never the less, I decided after reading quickly through the new book, that I will stay with lowcarb/high protein. Oh, and talking to DH about it. Last night, I told him since he wants to eat low fat, we could just buy the Healthy Choice frozen dinners if he wants to. He said, "You just keep on doing what your doing. I'm fine with this diet (he doen't really follow it, eats bread, cereal and milk). I'm exercising enough to offset the extra calories anyway." That made me feel much better, relieved and not so guilty. So, I'm back to an Atkins diet and feeling much better today about it (in my head).
Aleka, I agree about the breakfasts. In fact, I think the meals are too spares for me and the food choices are limited. I like eggs and bacon or sausage and don't need bread, but DH HAS to have bread to eat.
Better get going, DH is giving me that look, you know, the "You've been on the computer too long" look, Later, Nikki
Old 01-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #9  

Greetings All:

Nikki, I would be really interested in hearing what the Atkins site writes
you back I can only speak for my own experience and I feel like a
million bucks when I am low carbing. But like Aleka says in the end it
comes down to calories. So true. One things for sure, you need protein
to repair and build healthy cells.

Maybe Suzannes diet was the best afterall?? I know I really loved her
program,its just that I really went into a stall.

Well, our weather is lovely today but by Tuesday night we are back to the
big chill.

I won't even go into my day at work. strikes again!!!!

Talk to you later ladies.
Anne.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #10  

Anne,
Do you have liquid Splenda in Canada? I've read on other boards that you do, but it is not available in the US and they have no plans on releasing it to the general public right now. Anyway, I found a place to buy it on line and I was wondering, the next time you go to the store, if you think of it, would you let me know the price of it up there? Just curious. Since it's the bulking agent that they add to the dry Splenda that has the carbs, the liquid is suppose to be carb free and is advertised that way. I dont use that much, but I like to use it freely when I do. I hate to use up all my carbs for the day on Splenda powder.
Yes, I think Suzannes woe was the best in a lot of respects. I know it is the most satisfying and tasty. But, that was my biggest problem there. I over indulged because everday was like going to a fine restaurant and I couldn't limit my intake. Even though I was losing weight, it was just not as fast as I wanted. Gee, if I'd stayed on it, I might be at my goal by now, even if it was slow. Oh, kick me, I can't do it myself.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #11  

Red face

Good evening,

We did have a warm up..in the 30's. We did get a couple of inches of snow overnight so DH had to go out and plow this morning.

I agree with both of you that Suzanne's WOE is the best. There is nothing to count, you can eat until you're full, and the food is delicious. I wonder if I could still Somersize and still eat fruit with my cereal? It's a lot easier than having 2 breakfasts. Nikki, I wasn't losing weight on SS as fast as I would like, but I was losing, and like you I'm wondering where I'd be now if I had just stuck to it. Speaking of Suzanne, I dug out the Torso Trak this morning and started doing that again plus I did 1/2 hr. on the gazelle.

nikki, it would be interesting to see how Atkins site answers your question. I have a book by Prevention for low carb eating and they say start off with 185 gm of carbs, and if you don't lose weight, drop down to 125 gm. Then I saw a low carb diet in Womans World Magazine, which said to eat 100 gm. a day. I can't eat just bacon or sausage with eggs. After a while I start getting shaky, and when I eat a carb it stops. I do much better having cereal in the mornings.

ANNE, we'll be right back into the deep freeze on Wed. Sorry you had such a stressful day with It's too bad they didn't get rid of her when they had the evaluation.

Hi alynn hope you had a good day.

Take care and enjoy your evening.
Aleka
Old 01-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #12  

Good evening,
We went to Subway and had the new Atkins approved wrap. I am going to go on full blown induction of Friday, after I get groceries. The wrap was very good, but not very big. I could have easily eaten 2. But it's great that you can now go to a fast food place and actually get something to eat. I use to get their salads with vinegar and oil, not bad, but still they are pretty small too. Maybe if you got a salad and a wrap, it would be filling and still lower carb.
Aleka, good for you, getting back on the TT. I did another set of ab work with Tony Littles tape today. Man, can I ever feel it. I'm going to try to do this at least every other day.
Anne, DH was just looking at your before and after pictures. He said, Wow, what a difference. She must have worked hard. I said, She has and she has 5 sons, can you believe it? He said you were amazing. And, you are.
Talk to you guys tomorrow, Nikki
Old 01-13-2004, 07:11 AM   #13  

Angry

Hi!

nikki, Tony Little's ab tape, is that with his nubby exercise ball? That's great you're doing ab work. Hopefully the TT will help me in that dept. along with my arms. I've already done the TT this morning, I'm taking it very slowly because I don't want to pull anything like I did the last time. Good for you, starting Atkins induction on Fri.

ANNE, hope that you have a stress free day at work today. Now that you're in your new office, do you see more or less than you used to? Try to stay warm today. How long is your cold temps supposed to last? They say our's will last into the weekend.

Hi alynn!

Have a great day.
Aleka
Old 01-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #14  

Hi
Anne, I hope your day is not too bad.
Aleka, the ab tape is one that came with my gazelle. It is probably from the 80 or early 90's, judging from his get up. It's intense, so I'm hoping for good results.
DH is also keeping up with his exercise routine. It is much easier when you have someone that is active rather than a couch potato.
Yesterday, we went out by the lake and took a small walk. It was too cold and windy to do more, but still nice to get outside. Saw several deer.
I have lots of rabbits in the yard this year. I've never seen so many. Do either of you know how to keep them out of your garden? Last year, there was a pair running around, now, we see a large group of 6. You know how rabbits multiply, I'm afraid by spring we will be over ran with them. We always had dogs in the yard until this year, maybe that was what kept them away.
Better get going, lots to do, Nikki
Old 01-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #15  

[B]Hi everyone: Have you ever heard about the Leslie Sansome walking Tapes? I used them last winter and have just got back into them. She also has a set of 3 tapes (1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile) Walk Away the Pounds for Abs. Once you know the routines you can turn down the volume put in your favorite c.d. and away you go. Check out her web site. Everything is cheaper to buy in Wallmart rather than her site. Start with 1 tape and see if you like it. How are you Aleka? It is very cold here today. I went out for a walk and only lasted 20 minutes. Well thats it for now. I have to go do the drive as my DH is on bed rest after his surgery. Well talk to you later. Lynn