Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default What are your thoughts on quinoa?

I enjoy eating quinoa and I've always believed it is something that promotes weight loss but I today a friend told me if I'm trying to lose weight it isn't ideal.
Any thoughts?
queenie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

If you are eating grains and aren't carb sensitive, quinoa is a great choice. It is comparable to rice in calories, but is a complete protein. If you are carb sensitive, then it obviously won't be a good choice for you.

Here is a link about the benefits Rice vs. quinoa
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I always thought it tasted like dirt, no matter the preparation, but I have never heard that it slowed weight loss.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

The first brand of quinoa I bought had the dirty taste to it. Then I didn't try it again for a couple of years. I guess it's grown in popularity since then, more brands, I tried a different brand and it doesn't have that dirty taste. I use Bob's Red Mill. (this would be an item to check reviews on amazon, some brands aren't washed, are gritty, dirty taste).

Now I eat it more often. It's pretty cheap and versatile, not as cheap as rice but the extra nutrition makes it worth it. I always keep some on hand for emergency cheap meals. As the article posted above, it has more fiber and protein. It is also considered a seed, not a true grain. I read the little curls on it also help to "clean you out".

Last edited by ringmaster; 01-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #5  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I found it was an acquired taste, but it's one grain (or is it a seed?)...anyway, it's one that doesn't leave me bloated like rice and wheat. As with any carb, it's high in calories, but I like it now and eat it every week or so.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love it, but I find it easy to overeat (like most grains and other high carb foods).

I have cut out eheat and have cut back on grains, but I do eat some. Quinoa is one my favorites, but I make only a couple servings at a time, so I can't binge on it. Or I throw a liitle bit in soups and stews.

I am carb sensitive and also tend to "abuse" carbs, like others might abuse drugs or alcohol.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
The first brand of quinoa I bought had the dirty taste to it. Then I didn't try it again for a couple of years. I guess it's grown in popularity since then, more brands, I tried a different brand and it doesn't have that dirty taste. I use Bob's Red Mill. (this would be an item to check reviews on amazon, some brands aren't washed, are gritty, dirty taste).
I always rinse it a lot to rid the saponin - I think most quinoa sold in the US is already processed to clean it off, but if you don't rinse thoroughly yourself, it can end up tasting like dish soap!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Cool. Lots of great info. I do like the taste and I boil it up with llwsalt chicken broth and it tastes quite good. I guess everything is okay in moderation so I'm happy to go with that
queenie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #9  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Talking

I love saying the word but haven't eaten the food yet.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It gets stuck between my teeth. I moved on to cous cous (tastier) and ended up with steelcut oats (for breakfast).
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/T/150

Height: 5'9"

Love quinoa! But like kaplods, I find it is easy to overeat. I throw some onto my salads to add some good nutty flavor.
thisisart is offline   Reply With Quote