Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Long time goal, now mini-goal

I cannot believe where I am today from last May. At that time I was between 285-295, tired all the time, and with a three year old daughter who we waited so long for. We could not conceive and decided to adopt. If you or any of your friends have had to do this, you know what a road it is. My wife is an elementary school teacher. Every year there were half a dozen to a dozen showers. And of course all the kids around whom she loved and they loved her. But she always, we always wanted to be parents.

We got certified and decided on foster to adopt. Our first placement we fell in love with and he with us. Then he went back to relatives. We were devastated. You are finally a parent...then you are not.

But our second placement became our Forever Daughter. When she turns 15, I will be 60. I couldn't. I will not leave her.

That was when I was 46. It took me to almost 48 to just reach a breaking point. I had been an athlete growing up, even an all star. I got nearly to a huge goal of mine once and had it slip away which cascaded me down for a bit. I also went on a medicine at that time that ballooned my weight 80 lbs in a matter of 3 to 4 months. I never quite got back on track. I did pick myself up and create a life I love.

But my fitness and health never came back. Until now. With my motivation at an all time I was able to kick my addiction to grains, bread and pasta in particular, starchy vegetables, fast food and junk food. I haven't been in a fast food place since May. I am eating almost no wheat now. And my belly has come down more than I believed possible.

I am also a runner for the first time in my life. I used to be very dangerous over short distances, but running was beyond me. I just completed a 28 minute run this evening and I am doing my first 5K Feb 1. My energy, mood, and health are sky high.

Things have gotten easier as time has gone. My hunger is so much better controlled without as many carbs. I have found so many enjoyable, healthy options. Journey is worth it a thousand times over. I almost feel weight loss is a side effect of getting healthy; eating well and moving. Tomorrow my goal goes down sub-200. But going to enjoy being at 'goal' for one day.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #2  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations I love that feeling...I think of where I was 2 years ago, I even took one last look at my "fat" photo and ripped it to shreds, no negatives, no digital copies, lol...only the bad memory!

I think it's great that you're running. Your nutrition sounds excellent. I joked in another thread that I don't know how I used to think I couldn't live without a Burger King chicken sandwich extra mayo....now the thought of it makes me want to hurl. Enjoy your success!!!
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #3  
diamondgeog

Thanks. I put my new goal as 190. I know it was tempting to round down to 100lbs and put 185. I am 5'10" so I suppose 185-175 should be where I shoot for. But I always try to not think too far ahead.

And I am really anti-time goals. I still have a lot of change goals to meet: perhaps go for a 10K, get more strength training, more stretching, continue to cut down on eating out, have more meat free meals.

Very, very into change goals. In fact my new mantra is eat better, move more, and a side effect is weight loss.

I have to say the increased health has been amazing in so many ways I never dreamed of. I have fewer allergies now, I think because I have a less inflammatory diet. I don't snore and have been able to go off of my sleep apnea machine. I rebought a class ring last January. It was getting super loose. It fits my middle finger now, LOL.

I have this weird fascination with jackets. I am getting to buy a new wardrobe. Heat last summer didn't effect me as much and I am down another 30 lbs from then so this summer should be great.

Most of all just BEING is better. Movement is so easy now. I feel like our birthrights are health, clarity, and energy. And if you eat the processed food and junk food and wheat (wheat just did not work for me for many reasons although I do not believe have celiac) of the Standard American Diet you loose those.

I reclaimed my birthrights and feel wonderful.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #4  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I agree with you about wheat...I don't have a wheat or gluten allergy or intolerance, but I do find that when I omit it, I feel a lot better, mood-wise and digestion-wise. I occasionally have bread, but I stick to rice noodles for my pasta, or spaghetti squash.

I hate time goals too. My only time goal I've set (ever I think?) is that I want 7 pounds lost by Valentine's...only because I have a nice piece of lingerie that I want to wear to surprise my bf...otherwise, it's all about changing my habits.

Congrats on getting rid of the apnea machine...I can't imagine how you can sleep with one of those, that's a huge step.

May I ask...did you pinpoint which foods were likely causing inflammation/allergic reactions? I ask because my bf has terrible heartburn...we went through an elimination diet and found a few items, but even after a while of eliminating them, he got it back. I was reading that acid production can be caused by overactive histamines in the body...so thought maybe it's an allergy to some food he's eating occasionally.

I also think that our birthrights are health. I always say that this excess weight just does NOT belong on my body and shouldn't be there. I can only blame myself for putting it there.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #5  
diamondgeog

First thing I want to say is anyone can and should get used to a sleep apnea machine if they need to. No one should mess around with it. Anyone reading this who suspects they or a loved one has sleep apnea needs a sleep test ASAP and then to use the machine if they get one.

I freaked out when I first put the mask on. I had to use a full facemask. I could only do two hours the first night, then half a night. But I knew I had to. After a couple of weeks it didn't bother me. After a few months I actually liked it. It was comforting almost.

So yes you or anyone CAN use a sleep mask if they have to. If you have sleep apnea it is going to make all the health issues with being overweight worse if it is untreated.

I didn't do anything systematic. My best guess is going wheat free had the biggest impact. And just generally lowering carbs, especially 'junk carbs'. I still eat veggies and some fruit. I think if you have an inflammation producing diet it will make allergies worse.

I had acid reflux. It got MUCH better after going on my CPAP machine. I got it after large amounts of food consumed very quickly.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good job!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #7  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Congrats on giving up fast food/Junk Food and Carbs.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote