Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #70

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another windy, cloudy, cold (-11 when I came downstairs this morning) day in my corner of the world. I have the furnace turned up higher than usual; it just feels like a damp cold. I made the bank deposit and went to the post office this morning. That was a zoo since there was no mail delivery yesterday. I wanted to mail some family "party" bulletins to a couple hometown friends of Bob's sister, and pick up some stamps. I know they are going up but don't remember exactly when. I've got laundry going in both the washer and dryer so that has been my accomplishments for the day. I feel more tired today than yesterday.

Hope all is well with all of you. I hear the dryer buzzing so time to switch loads. Enjoy and the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #2  

Afternoon all. I had a busy morning and fell asleep in my chair and then had to go get Jack.

Well, we have an issue with the dryer business. We have a bulkhead above the door between the dining room and laundry room. He spent 4 hours here and then talked to Jack because he said there was a blockage in that bulkhead. They went in and cut into the drywall and found they did a cheap job putting the plastic accordian style hose instead of a regular vent and the hose has a big rip in it so it has to be replaced. I can use my dryer and it is all cleaned out (part of the problem is the mesh disappeared to the outside vent and a bird got up in there and built a nest,) but Jack is going to try and fix the other problem. If he finds he can't then we will make an appt for them to come in and do the work and it will cost anywhere from $300-600. It is mostly labor of course.

Went to my gyn appt and will not be having a hysterectomy. My uterine biopsy was totally clear and since I am having no symptoms at the moment he said there isn't much we can do. Tricare will not authorize a hysterectomy unless I am bleeding where they can't control it or have an abnormal biopsy. I have to have another biopsy in April then again in October and probably yearly after that. We talked a long time about all of it and he asked me is I was stressed a lot and he said that can cause it to flare up even for women who have never had any issues at all. He explained why it keeps rethickening after a d and c, etc. So, it is a wait and see, but as long as I am not having a problem I am definitely ok with that.

My Ipad mini should be here tomorrow so that will be great, but you never know with this post office.

Maggie: My Ipad is 8" We have the pc, the iphones and the laptop so mainly this is for traveling and reading since my Kindle has been acting up a lot. Since I am used to my Iphone, getting used to the Ipad will be just a bigger screen.

Jean: You can keep your weather. It was in the 30's here but really windy so it was cold. We did have snow flurries on and off today too, but nothing thick. How did the trip go? Glad you got back home ok.

You all have a good evening and I will talk to you tomorrow. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Late on Tuesday

GOOD LATE EVENING IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It was another windy day here in the ♥-Land and I sure hope it is gone tomorrow. I am rather tired of it blowing so much. It was colder also but just felt more like winter now so no complaints about that.

I made a couple more snackie things that were WW recipes that turned out good and took some to the museum to share with the workers there. They have pretzels and cereal ~ stuff like that in them and are quite tasty.

Not much else going on here this day except the usual.

JEAN I don’t think you quite understand how it is to take an animal full-timing on the road. Cats are so different than dogs and Cecil hates to ride. It would be cruel to not let him be his self as an outside cat. He couldn’t be let out in a campground because all folks don’t keep their dogs on a leash as they are supposed to and he would be an invitation to be chased and I would hate to see what would happen if he was on a leash out there for he has his front claws removed and couldn’t defend himself very well. Since he is an outside cat he wouldn’t be happy at all not being able to go outside or be tied up out there. We think it would be best for him if he lived with a family with a fenced yard and he could be as free as he could be that way like he is here. Don’t get me wrong we will miss him terribly but we must find him a good home for his own safety. He is waiting at the back door wanting out the minute one of us is up in the morning.

DONNA FAYE It is nice that you aren't looking at an operation. You can now work on not being stressed about things. My motto is "If I can't fix it then why worry about it for it is up to someone else to fix it." Works for me anyway.

Have a good sleep my cyber friends.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining after a morning of spitting snow and gloomy clouds. The wind continues to blow and it's -12 wind chill heading down to a possible -50 wind chill tonight. I'm sick of the cold temperatures! This was my morning to work in the gift shop and I've been awake since 3:30. Bob had a meeting in Des Moines and wanted to leave about 5. I goofed and set the tv to come on at 3:30 instead of 4:30, and then couldn't get back to sleep. I feel just plain lazy this afternoon and haven't accomplished a thing since I got home about 2. Bell choir practice has been canceled tonight because of the predicted cold. Everyone wants to stay home once they get there.

"Gma" -- I sure feel for you and the dryer vent problem. I hope Jack is able to fix it himself. I'm glad you're not facing another surgery, and hope the female issues have stopped permanently. The trip went fine; it was nice to meet new family members that we hadn't met before. Bob's brother put together family pictures and had the video running for anyone who wanted to sit and watch. Our wedding picture was in the mix, and everyone got a hoot out of how young his brothers and sister looked. The boys were in high school, or at least one was while the youngest one might have been in junior high. Heck, we all looked young!

Maggie -- I'm sick of the wind too! You are right in that I don't know anything about camping with a cat. I just know that all of our cats have been like our kids, and we wouldn't have moved without taking them along. I hope you can find Cecil a good home, with a dog he can bond with.

I need to pick up the kitchen and maybe vacuum. The again, maybe not the vacuum part. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Windy Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I am so tired of this Windows 8 making changes and then I have to go hunt for the things I use most. My teckie guy is ordering the key for me so he can take this off my computer and install Windows 7. He said lots of his customers are doing the same for Windows 8 just isn’t working properly. It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread but for now it has too many glitches in it for me to want to deal with it. Since Windows 8 came out the price of Windows 7 has doubled and is due to go up another $50 soon for there is a supply and demand now form folks who absolutely don’t like Windows 8 and want to go back to 7.

I am so sad for I can’t locate my glass drinking straw. I may have thrown it away by accident. If it doesn’t reappear soon I will cut down one that I have that is very long to the proper size. I had ordered lots of lengths for my glass works and made one the proper length for drinking my Pepsi with. I can cut it and grind the edge smooth and have a drinking straw once again.

We have been out and about looking for the proper sized box to put inside the back of the Jeep and can’t find one so will order one from the Jeep Catalogue. We took out the back seat long ago to make room for the dogs and it is a nice storage box that they can get on top of and watch the scenery for they love to ride with us.

I found some neat plastic locking lid containers to put some of my kitchen things in that are in glass containers now. Plastic is so much lighter than glass even though I prefer glass the plastic works best in the MH.

JEAN What fun to see all those pictures of yesteryears when you were younger. I am also wanting spring and have to remind me these cold temperatures belong here now for it is winter after all. That was early to get up ~ I would be yawning all day.

Have a good day my cyber friends.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #6  

Good morning girls! Very chilly here this morning and actually the temps are supposed to go down instead of up today. We are supposed to have snow showers by the end of next week, UGH!

They are still pounding away next door. They must be doing a lot of remodeling inside as I hear saws and such. It has been empty for almost 2 years now and I sure hope whomever moves in is decent.

Jack is going to try and fix the dryer issue himself. He did get up there and duct taped the hose until he can replace what he is going to replace. Since it is so hard to get to the left end, he is going to cut out the bad spot and put in a connector thingy and then replace the hose from there to the other vent that goes out to the outside. We had plumbing problems again last night and luckily were able to get it unclogged. I am so stressed with the stupid condo always having some problem that costs $$$. Jack can do some things, but he has limitations and I can't help him much at all.

Jean: Glad that a sad occasion turned into something joyful. I worked with a retired minister decades ago when I was a secretary at a private Christian school. He said they don't have funerals, they have celebrations. I thought that was always wonderful. Hope Bob's meeting went ok considering you guys seem to be having rotten weather all around.

Maggie: Hope you can get Windows 7 installed ok and get your drinking straw worked out. I am hoping my Ipad will be delivered today. They said yesterday, but as usual the Post Office can't seem to do what they are supposed to.

Everyone have a great day. I am going to sit and knit on my sweater. Have a good rest of the week. Faye
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Chilly Thursday

Good Morning Magnolias

I am typing this on my little box for my laptop is getting the Windows 8 removed and the 7 installed this day. I am not going to lunch with the Museum group today because it is just to cold out there and I don't want to go out in it. I have decided to not let my hair grow out after all and have an appointment on Saturday to have it cut short and not in this up sweep style. Years back when I had it real short I was able to use one of those razor blade cutters and keep it cut myself. I am going to see if I can find one of those things once again.

It seems so wierd typing on this little I-Pad. I am having to get used to the touch screen feature. I sure like having this attached key board though for it has so much more on it than the screen one does.

I will be so happy when the weather turns to spring and I can get out back and shoot some arrows. We will be going to Texas and getting a bow if this shop here in town doesn't have the one I ordered in by the end of this month. Cabellas in Texas will have what I want for sure. Even if I do get the bow here locally we are still making a trip to Texas. We already have the appointments for the animals to be kept while we are gone.

DONNA FAYE It is sure nice that Jack is so handy and can get that dryer hose fixed. I never did locate that glass straw so will cut a long one down to size today. I must have thrown it out by mistake. Do you have the key board model of the I-Pad you are getting?

Last edited by Maggie; 01-23-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, the wind is blowing, and it has "warmed" up to 3 degrees from -12 early this morning. I ran a couple errands this morning and have a coffee date this afternoon. Tomorrow morning is a dreaded perm.

Maggie -- I hope you found your glass straw by now. It is frustrating to look for something and not find it. I have typed so much on my iPad that I have to think a bit when I am on the PC.

"Gma" -- Our pastor always emphasizes that a funeral is to celebrate a life and not be sad at the death because we will all meet again. His son was killed in an arson fire and he really puts death perspective. Bob was tired when he got home around suppertime. He promptly fell asleep in front of the tv. I hope the noise next door isn't too annoying. If you get some nice neighbors it will be worth it.

Susan -- Hope all is well with you!

I need to change clothes and head out. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 01-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #9  

Good afternoon gals. It is chilly, chilly, no more like downright cold here today. I am ready for spring!!

I did laundry, dishes and nothing else today. I sat and finished a book and started another one and played Candy Crush. Sheesh you get addicted to that game. I am stuck on level 100. I get close then boom!

Jean: Hope Bob is all rested up now. I too hope we will get decent neighbors. I am pretty sure we will get decent ones on the other side if the family who lives there now ever moves out. They aren't bad though we have had a couple instances with their washing machine too, but at least they fix the problem. I really love my little Ipad. The screen is bigger, but overall is the same size as my Kindle so it fits in my kindle holder, which is nice. It is like a leather book cover so really protects it nicely.

Maggie: No I don't feel I need the separate keyboard. I do fine with the one on the Ipad. I hate the one on Jack's laptop though. Glad you are finally getting things fixed up. I am with you about going outside. We do have errands tomorrow to run so since I am not Samantha and can't twitch my noise and go from place to place I guess I will have to try and bundle up.

Susan: I hope you are getting back on track to wellness. We sure do worry about you.

Everyone have a great weekend. Faye
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon/Evening, Flowers! The wind is blowing and we are in an advisory until Monday morning sometime. The thermometer says it is 41 but the wind makes it seem much colder. I spent a little over 3 hours getting a perm this morning. This gal is so slow and it looks like sh*t when she's done. I come home and redo it the way I always wear it. After 35 years you'd think she'd notice! I wish I could go without but my hair is thin and there is no body to it whatsoever. This afternoon I braved the grocery store with all the other crazy people who crawl out of the woodwork on Friday afternoons. Not sure when supper will be or what it will be as Bob is out at the farm helping dismantle a tractor cab on his friend's tractor.

"Gma" -- I'm stuck on Level 92 in that stupid Candy Crush game. I get mad and leave it for a couple days but always go back. I win the tough ones purely by accident; no skill on my part! Glad you are enjoying your iPad! My new cell phone came and I am embarrassed to go back to the store with it. When we were there Monday the gal popped the battery out of mine and then checked the charge before she processed the request for a new phone. Whatever she did has made it work on that full charge all week. I've sent and received several text messages from the kids and it just finally moved off a full charge. It was still under warranty so I suppose they will just give me the new one after they transfer all the #s and pictures over. Bob wonders if the battery was never installed properly in the first place.

I came upstairs to round up laundry so better get moving. Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 01-24-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Friday Night

GOOD LATE EVENING IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Good evening. I thought I posted earlier but I guess I just thought I did.

I now have my computer back from the shop and have Windows 7 once again. I have got to get the rest of the information inserted into my mail program which means finding my page with all the addresses on it. The techie saved all my information but I don’t quite know how to open his file and transfer the information to my program. If I can’t figure it out this evening I’ll give him a call tomorrow. This version of Windows 7 is advanced from what I had on my old computer and has some things to get used to which will be fun. To get my printer hooked back up included a call to HP because it doesn’t have a number on it anywhere. The techie at HP said he didn’t know why so many of the printers didn’t have the serial numbers on them and gave us one from some by looking some other number elsewhere on the printer. I wrote the serial number he gave us and I taped it to the printer.

I have been busy getting all my “stuff” put back on this computer. I am fixin’ to go to bed soon and need to get a few things done first so I am making this post shorter than usual.

Have a good night my cyber friends.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. It is chilly this morning and windy again but no rain. We have to go out and get the stuff for Jack to work on the hose in the bulkhead and we are going to check out dishwashers and storm doors too. Both of our need replacing and the back one looks like just what it is, they we live in the hood. They are both iron, who thought that was a good idea with our moisture here I'll never know, but part of it rusted completely out and one day just fell right out! We have never had storm windows or even screens in the one in the back so the inner door takes a beating when it rains. It is time to replace all that stuff. I know what I want so I am going to check Lowes and Home Depot.

I have my preop appt this next Friday so I have to remember to keep the car. I take it so infrequently that I am always afraid I will forget when I do need it.

Jean: I was sitting in the recliner this morning with the Ipad thinking, "Well I might as well get it over with." and went to Candy Crush and played my 5 and lost and was done with it. I am like you, I am not skillful, but lucky. I would suggest googling your level and watching the videos on how to beat it if you are stuck a long time. I had to do that to get past one of the levels as I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Wait until you get to 100. Starting with the next section they put bombs in with timers, UGH!!! I feel for you as my hair is very fine and thin. I have never had thick hair, but have lost hair because of meds. I can't do anything about that. The gal that does my hair always does such a terrific job that I don't mind paying the high price to get it done. Of course, having her color it might go by the wayside once Jack retires. It costs me $162 including tip every 8 weeks and that might be just too expensive. I may have to do my own coloring and have her continue to cut it.

Maggie: When do you guys think you will get out on the road and give up living in Kansas? We have two printers, one in Jack's office and a wireless one down here. The wireless one drives me nuts. Jack finally connected it directly to the hard drive because when it was wireless I kept having to uninstall and reinstall it all the time. I got fed up with it finally and blew my top and Jack took pity on me and connected it like a regular printer.

Well gals, have a nice Saturday. Faye
Old 01-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Will just left with my computer to take it back to the shop. The techie said that a lot of the new computers all have a problem that I just don't like at all. When a person types the curser jumps around. I type 110 words a minute and when the curser jumps around it makes for a very confusing paragraph for it jumps in the middle of a word and goes up into the middle of a previous line that has been typed. Thankfully they have a way of going into my computer and stopping this. One day, hopefully, they will get all the bugs worked out of that computer for we have spent a lot of money on it even though we bought into their program.

I am thankful I have this I-Pad to communicate with.

DONNA FAYE I imagine you will really like having new doors for your place. Get what you really like for they do last a long time. Our plan is to be out sometime in August which isn't far away at all. We have a lot to do between now and then. I pulled out all the boxes I had on the floor of my office closet and went through them and figured out what to keep and what to toss and what to selll at a yard sale. I have filled up some trash bags and have plenty of boxes of things to sell come spring. It is amazing what we have accumulated these years we have been in this house.

I have some things I want to get done before time to get my hair cut.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-25-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's a cold 10 degrees outside. We are supposed to get some snow sometime this weekend but the weatherman admits he isn't sure how much because of the wind pattern. I have a load of laundry in the washer and the dishwasher is humming away, otherwise it's been a lazy morning. I'm hunting for a recipe and figure I put it away in a different category when I was in a hurry. That is my afternoon project!

I need to check my birthday list and write out the envelopes for next week. I've added an extra day for delivery if I put them out in my mailbox because I never know what time the mailman will come. The mail truck leaves Storm Lake at 3:30 and heads for Des Moines where they sort the mail and bring the Storm Lake mail back here to be delivered the next day. No wonder the USPS is losing money!

"Gma" -- When you talk about the bulkhead project I think of a ship. Isn't there a bulkhead on a ship? When there is something I want to be sure and remember I put a sticky note on the kitchen cabinet door where we take our meds. If I'm really spooked about forgetting I tape a bigger piece of paper on the door leading out to the garage figuring I will be going through there to get to the car. Of course I've been known to forget things on my list and will have the list right in my hand. My perm was $53 this time, up from $50 three months ago. I must say it looks better this morning after I rinsed it in the shower this morning.

Maggie -- I hope you get your computer back and set up the way you want it. I would be a wreck trying to do that myself. I really appreciate our store here in town, and the fact they can fix simple things without my having to take the computer in. You are so organized I'm sure you will every detail in shape and things set to go by the time you want to leave Kansas.

I need to check the leftovers for lunch and get them in the oven. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing day.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! A warm 29 degrees this afternoon.

We had 2 inches of snow Tuesday night and temps down to single digits at night and 15-20 degrees for 3 days. School was closed for we have no snow removal equipment to speak of - just enough to keep I-64, I-664, SR 143 and SR 60 clear. The snow hasn't melted at all in my backyard (north facing) but is all gone in the front and on my street (south). The air is so dry it makes me have a hard time breathing so I'm using a lot of saline and sitting in the bathroom with the shower on HOT to steam. My humidifier is working overtime for sure. I haven't been out of the house since Tuesday and won't go out until Monday when I go to the Y.

Faye, I am so happy you don't need further surgery. It's a shame you can't move out of that condo since it needs so many repairs. It's good Jack can do some of them. It's so expensive to get repairs done.

Jean, Maybe it's time to get a new beautician. My hair is thick and straight as a stick. A curling iron doesn't work so I just keep it short.

Maggie, sorry about the computer problems. I run Windows 8, download every update and have never had a problem. We run it at work as well and we all like it. I'm surprised your computer didn't come with free Windows 7 downgrade if you wanted it. Mine did. I'd love to travel the US but will have to live vicariously through you and Will.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote