Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #1  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Default I can't believe how easy it is to slip into old habits

So, long story short, I felt superbly stressed out last night, to the point of panic... I haven't felt that way in a while. And what do you know, I immediately wanted to reach for ice cream. I had food instead, because I was legitimately hungry, but a part of me wanted to reach for the ice cream even after I felt full (noticeably full). It took a friend encouraging me not to and distracting me in order for me not to do it.

Last night, it felt so unlikely that I would stop myself from eating junk food. It was as though something took over inside of me and I didn't seem to be able to concern myself with the consequences of emotional eating. I literally wasn't in a state to do so, even though I normally am.

That was an eye-opener for me. I realized I am going to have to change my life around to manage stress better, I think. I want to continue to lose and then maintain the loss.

I wanted to bring this up because I am very eager for strategies to manage impulses. How do you ladies/guys do it?

Last edited by belovedspirit; 01-23-2014 at 11:14 AM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Because I do give in to impulses (although not so much as prior to weight loss), the most important thing for me is to forgive myself and get back into losing mode. Maintenance for me is "dieting on a short leash." I think I do manage my stress better (exercise being a big tool with that), but I'm never perfect and probably never will be perfect in being able to avoid all stress eating. I've managed to maintain for eight years now so I think I'm doing okay.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169/135/140

Height: 5ft 5.5 in

I find that when I am supertempted and feel I will lack self control I drink 1 scoop whey protein powder in water.It is less than 60 calories ,12 gm protein,less than 1 gm carb.I make 1 glass and sip it and find that it quickly satisfies my hunger and cravings.
I think all the amino acids help produce dopamine and serotonin and seem to help suppress hunger and cravings for me.
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/135/140

Height: 5ft 5.5 in

And of course always have water nearby and sip on the water when tempted
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedspirit View Post
So, long story short, I felt superbly stressed out last night, to the point of panic... I haven't felt that way in a while. And what do you know, I immediately wanted to reach for ice cream. I had food instead, because I was legitimately hungry, but a part of me wanted to reach for the ice cream even after I felt full (noticeably full). It took a friend encouraging me not to and distracting me in order for me not to do it.

Last night, it felt so unlikely that I would stop myself from eating junk food. It was as though something took over inside of me and I didn't seem to be able to concern myself with the consequences of emotional eating. I literally wasn't in a state to do so, even though I normally am.

That was an eye-opener for me. I realized I am going to have to change my life around to manage stress better, I think. I want to continue to lose and then maintain the loss.

I wanted to bring this up because I am very eager for strategies to manage impulses. How do you ladies/guys do it?
I've been on maintenance too short a time to post from experience but read a book suggested on 3FC, Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. She presents a description of how our brain generates the impulses and how to handle them. I've found her method helpful.

Last edited by mars735; 01-24-2014 at 09:57 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #6  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Thank you for the input so far and for the book recommendation mars735.

I think I have been dieting in the way you've described, Sheila. It's been helpful, but the temptations have also felt so minimal or minimalized, that the other day really felt like it shook me up. Thank goodness for fresh starts. It really is a day by day matter.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote