Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #1  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

Smile Starting Mediterranean "Diet" Cooking

Hi Everyone

In an attempt to cut the food bill, I wanted to eat more veggies, beans and legumes. As opposed to lots of cheese, red meat and breadie stuff. My bf also suffers really bad acid reflux...we went on an elimination diet together last spring, and found he's got trouble with bell peppers and dairy so we've tried to eliminate them...but he seems to be having trouble again. I thought if we ate this way, i.e. the Mediterranean style, we'd both have a better chance at digestion/weight loss/maintenance. I'm headed to the library tomorrow to take some cookbooks out. Is anyone else on this eating plan? Have you noticed benefits, or downfalls? Any links or advice?

Thanks

Last edited by Chardonnay; 01-16-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know it isn't very active, but the Sonoma/Mediterranean forum might have some info that you'd find helpful.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sono...nean-diet-188/
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #3  
Food and Wine Lover

Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I had the WORST acid reflux/indigestion and was taking two prevacid plus chalky antacids daily. My boyfriend recommended that I cut out my coffee (which I had been drinking since I was 11 years old!) to see if it helped. I decided to cut gluten and coffee simultaneously in early summer and I have probably taken one antacid since then. From the very first day, it helped. Just a thought - I don't know if he drinks coffee!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #5  
Food and Wine Lover

Hi Munchy Thanks for the reply.

Yes...and yes, he DRANK coffee and it always gave him bad heartburn immediately. Same goes for dark sodas and chocolate. We thought it was the caffeine, but when we tried decaf, same result. So whatever is in the coffee bean and cocoa bean is evil to his stomach.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardonnay View Post
Hi Munchy Thanks for the reply.

Yes...and yes, he DRANK coffee and it always gave him bad heartburn immediately. Same goes for dark sodas and chocolate. We thought it was the caffeine, but when we tried decaf, same result. So whatever is in the coffee bean and cocoa bean is evil to his stomach.
My doctor told me that it's from the acidity of coffee, not from the caffeine. I wouldn't be surprised because I switched to caffeinated tea daily and it never hurts my stomach - awesome!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Chardonnay: You might want to check into sensitivity to ALL nightshade family plants. I had to do an elimination of these for a while to give my body a rest from them (arthritis) before I could add in a little at a time. I am Italian, and believe me nightshade is in everything we eat, tomato, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, etc.

Here's a list and some more info on nightshades.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #8  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

I enjoy this type of food...
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #9  

I like this type of food. I plan to incorporate some of them.
drtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #10  

while i love beans and legumes. isn't it actually a bit unhealthy if you eat them too much ? i heard some bad things about these but i'm not expert, my friend told me that they are low in nutritions and they block your protein absorbtion? and i'm actually interested to know if it's ok to eat them quite often
Annie98 is offline   Reply With Quote