General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Unhappy There is something wrong with my cats eye! Help!

Theres this white string hanging from my grey tabby cats eye. And on the part attached to his eye is a pink fleshy thing. IM FREAKING OUTA! Help???
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Call your VET - don't come here for medical advice - human or animal. It could be something minor like eye goop b/c of allergies or something more serious.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
Call your VET - don't come here for medical advice - human or animal. It could be something minor like eye goop b/c of allergies or something more serious.
I'm not looking for medical advice okay I'm looking for suggestions on what it could from those that share the experience.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #4  

We're going to do an eyewash and see what happens. We think it's a round worm. I didn't even know that could happen.... but I saw it move so... I'm so worried about my baby.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #5  

okay the eyewash failed. And it is not a worm. It is however ATTACHED to his eye. I'm so scared for him.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

if it's not coming off his eye with a gentle wash, take him for medical care because he could be seriously injured by trying to forcefully take it off his eye....is it bothering him? does he paw at it etc?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #7  

Take him to Emergency, better safe than sorry!!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #8  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Sounds like some sort of worm or parasite. Take your kitty to the vet and get it checked out.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #9  

Okay we pinched it to see if he felt anything... NOTHING. So we trimmed it just a little as adviced by a friend- i forgot why she said to do it i think she said it would work its way out. And I looked today and it's gone! And he's opening the eye all the way! Weird.

Last edited by imabehot; 01-24-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #10  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

It is never a good thing to self-operate on your pets, especially when you don't know what you are doing or what you are dealing with.
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
It is never a good thing to self-operate on your pets, especially when you don't know what you are doing or what you are dealing with.
Excuse me but it wasn't part of him. We made sure of that. And so we trimmed it and it fell out and he's all better and very happy. It was probably just string.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #12  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Omg, I would have never done that. You're lucky...

Just for future reference when you make threads like this.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Hubby and I have a cat and a pet rat. Because of our financial situations, we've had to learn to do some medical care for our animals that should normally be done by a vet. It sucks, but you do what you have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabehot View Post
Excuse me but it wasn't part of him. We made sure of that. And so we trimmed it and it fell out and he's all better and very happy. It was probably just string.
If the string-like thing had been part of him, I'd be less concerned.
It probably was not a string. Strings do not randomly attach to eyeballs with fleshy things attached.

It probably was a parasitic worm of some kind. Clipping it may have killed the worm, causing it to release.

If your cat is very lucky, one worm egg got in and grew in his eye and it was a single parasite that attached itself from the outside, and the problem is resolved.

I wouldn't count on luck though, because there are many parasitic worms that are deadly before you see any signs of them (such as heartworms, which I believe can infest the eye).

At the very least, keep a very close eye on your cat. Check his sleeping areas, his poop (squash the poop and look through it), eyes, nose mouth, genitals and rectum several times a day, for signs of worms. Even if there are none, there are no guarantees that he is now parasite free.

Whether or not there are signs of more, he could be dangerously infected. If you can afford a vet visit, I would highly recommend it.

You may be tempted to buy an over-the-counter worming medicine, but I would not recommend it, because you don't know what kind of worm you're dealing with. Also killing off the worms can actually be dangerous, if the infestation is severe (for example with heartworms).

As I said, I understand the reluctance to get veterinary care, but if you're not going to use a vet, you need to self-educate so that you can diagnose and treat your animals and and know the limits of your abilities, before the situations occur.

At the very least, I would recommend that you get a very good comprehensive book on healthcare for cats. One geared towards breeders will give more medical care instructions than one geared towards pet owners. A textbook for vets would be even better, but you need to have a strong science background to understand veterinary texts.

I'm not judging you for self-treating, because I do give my animals treatment that should probably be done by vets, but I have a strong science background (with coursework in life sciences in college and graduate school) and self-educated myself.

You can self-educate too, but if you don't have a strong science background, this can take a while, so you have to do it before a problem crops up.

I just got done treating my rat with antibiotics and lancing a huge abscess under her chin that might be due to a bad tooth. If it is a bad tooth, she will need to go to a vet to have it pulled.

I bought the antibiotics (for cows) at a farm supply store and did the math to calculate the rat dosage (which I already had looked up in my rat husbandry book) and lanced the abscess once it came to a head.

I wouldn't expect the average person to know how or when to give the antibiotics, the correct dosage, or how to lance the abscess without doing injury, so I would tell anyone else to go to a vet.

I know I can't pull a tooth, so if the abscess comes back, I will either have to take my little Pea to the vet, or euthanize her humanely myself. I'm putting money aside so that I can afford to take her to the vet, because I'd rather not have to put her down.

I get not being able to take an animal to a vet, even for emergencies, but if that's the case, you need to self-educate so that you're prepared before the situations come up.

Getting help from the internet, when the problem is occurring is just not the best solution, because you won't have time or a clear enough head to judge good advice from bad.

And if you're going to seek help of any kind online, at least go to a species-specific website (a cat care website, not a weight loss site). You'll still get a lot of bad information and judgement, but you at least have a more reasonable hope that a veterinarian or experienced breeder or pet owner can answer your questions.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-15-2014 at 08:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #14  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

A little off topic but maybe helpful to someone. The vet CareCredit card allows you to pay off the bill over time with NO interest (usually six months). It's really easy to get -- my stepdaughter qualified when she was working part time at a minimum wage job. Not all vets accept it but if you go on the website you can find a vet near you who does.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I can't imagine freaking out and being so worried about my pet...and then not taking my pet to the vet ASAP.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote