Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #1  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Talking The sleeve VS GBP

I have passed all my required classes and will be attending my liver shrinking class this Thursday. All along i was pretty positive about getting the sleeve, but now im really torn. i want results but im afraid of getting GBP.

How did you decide what was best for you? i know both procedures very well from all the classes... Help.. any advice would be appreciated...
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

I chose the vertical sleeve because the surgeon does not have to reroute anything, which is a much less invasive surgery. My bowels were not messed with, and I get all the nutrients from the food I eat. There is no malabsorption. The weight-loss percentage is nearly as high as the gastric bypass.

In the end, the choice is between you and your surgeon. He may advise one procedure over the other for various reason.

Whichever you do, good luck!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

the choice isn't always easy -and i know you've been thinking about this for a LONG time. You're sort of comparing apples and oranges. the sleeve is a restrictive procedure, and the bypass is a restrictive+malabsorption procedure. As Jane noted, you get all your nutrients [and all the calories] with the restrictive procedure, and malabsorption of nutrients [and calories to some extent] with the bypass. and the risk of dumping.

with the sleeve, you keep your pyloric valve, and with the bypass you don't. this has implications for food getting stuck, and for dumping.

initial weight loss tends to be faster with the bypass, but after a year or two, the losses are about the same.

ifyou don't get the weight loss you want with the sleeve, you can have a malabsorption component added to it [either a duodenal switch or an RNY], if your insurance will cover a second surgery.

it's really up to you and how you want to live for the rest of your life, and your age, and your health. As Jane said, your surgeon can provide some insight and guidance here.

gotta tell you, though, that if the sleeve had been available way back when, i would have given it very serious consideration. Might not have chosen it, but would have weighed it as one of the final two choices.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #4  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Thank you both for your feedback... I have decided to stick with the sleeve.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote