Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #1  
Back 2 Low CArb living

S/C/G: 220/210/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default help? any ideas?frustrated

I started my LC diet last Monday by Wednesday I was down 3 lbs!!
Then Thursday My period started and now im only down .5

I really have not felt that good. So I know 100% I have not over eaten.
I have stepped up my water because I been so thirsty..

Its frustrating. When the food makes me little sick feeling, but I stick to it..
and the scale still says.. NO.Your lose.

any suggestions? or just ride it out and see what happens..
I don't know if its from my period, the extra water, or maybe little too much peanut butter.. bUt even then I only had 1 tbsp. every other day..

Suggestions?

Typical Day

3 eggs fried in morning. with a little hot sauce..

LUnch 1 can tuna, over spinach greens, or over slices of pepper
a cheese stick
1 diet soda.

Dinner
2 pieces of baked chicken w/ vegetable.
or a steak with vegetable

and water thru the day...

I haven't been hungry. sigh-- If im hungry I will have some pork rines or pickle's..
I have 40-50 lbs to lose.. I was hoping first week to be down at least 5 pounds..
Any ideas?
ames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

Very low carb diets are known for causing period issues. Also, it's likely that a lot of the weight you lost at first was water weight, and now your period is causing you to bloat and gain it back. 5 lbs in one week is a really unreasonable goal. 1-2 lbs a week is normal and shows good progress. You're doing really well. I would add more fat to your diet to get your macronutrient levels up. Cook the eggs in butter, add bacon to the veggies, etc.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

How low carb are you going? The definition of low carb varies widely. In the paleo mindset, low carb is generally under 100g of carbs a day, and VLC (very low carb) is under 50g of carbs a day. Going under 50g of carbs a day will likely put you into ketosis and give you, initially, the "low carb flu" where you feel crappy for up to two weeks as your body adjusts. 150g of carbs a day is considered a good maintenance level, but compared to the standard American diet is much lower. But if you go to paleo forums, you'll find a plethora of threads of people that tried to go VLC and it made them feel like crap well beyond the low carb flu period of time. They bumped up their carbs and felt better. Check out the site "Mark's Daily Apple", there are tons of articles and threads there about going low carb.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

No matter what diet plan you follow, some days the scale will go up. This is especially true with TOM. You will likely be at new lower weight within a week.

But you have to expect that your weight will bounce around a little. It happens to everyone (women more, with ovulation and TOM). If you eat bulky foods or salty foods, or you work out, take certain meds, etc, you will temporarily bump up. In order to diet successfully, you have to overcome the feeling of disappointment when that happens.

BTW, 5 lbs is a lot to lose in a week, unless you were factoring in water loss due to low carb (which only kicks in the first week or two). But that is being offset by TOM this week for you.

I am used to the scale bouncing, and I still feel disappointed. But I accept that it is just the way it is. And luckily, there will also be some days that you will be surprised that you lost weight when you didn't expect that.

So, again, I won't comment on your particular plan but you should realize that whatever plan you follow, you will have bad scale days to deal with. Good luck!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I wish you had to sign a form saying you understand how widely the body swings before you were allowed to weigh in daily.

My weight can bounce by more than two pounds for no apparent reason - and even more with TOM. I know this, and so it doesn't freak me out (too much) when it happens, and I weigh daily.

I've read somewhere that the first month of low carb most people achieve more or less the same thing (based on their starting weight of course the number might vary) of losing about 5-10% of the weight you need to lose. But people do it differently - some lose a huge amount for a week or two and then stall for 2-3 weeks (that was my case) some lose slowly but consistently, some lose nothing at first and then their body catches on. The key is to force yourself to a longer term mindset than the day to day numbers - so more like having the "I'm sticking to this for one month no matter what" mindset and then regarding the numbers with some objective curiosity.

Hang in there, your numbers look totally normal to me - you just need to be patient!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #6  
Back 2 Low CArb living

S/C/G: 220/210/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Thanks for the replies..
Its actually my first week back on low carb in a long time..
so I was hoping for the 5 lb lost first week..
but since my period was going.. didn't achieve it..
I got 1/2 lb loss..
But on to week 2 I guess. LOL. im still chugging along at it..
scale seems to be moving again a little.. We shall see!!!
I keep my carbs under 25 for about 3 weeks. then start adding in more veggies.. and fats
Again Thanks a bunch!!
ames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

This was my fourth or fifth go at low carb - I only lost quickly the first time. I'm also older now, of course.

To keep myself motivated by losing at a reasonable pace the first few weeks I found I needed to dial back the protein and also keep a lid on calories. I'm in my 40s now, and I just think our bodies make it harder to lose after 40. It still works, mind you, but slowly.

I'm past four months now and not adding in more veggies, for what its worth - I keep carbs around 20 (total, not net, although I go a little above on days with lots of green veggies).
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote