General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #1  

Default Will Losing Weight Deepen My Nasiolabial Folds?

I'm in my late 20s.

And I have some minor nasiolabial folds. I plan to lose roughly 70 pounds.

Given that the weight loss will likely affect (make less chubby) my face, do you suppose that that could deepen my nasolabial folds?

Do you know anyone whose nasolabial folds deepened after a significant weight loss?
Veronica133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #2  

I've seen it happen and it has happened to me. Along with forehead wrinkles! It was mild though because I have "Asian elastic" skin, but still kinda a stark contrast to my young features. On the plus side, that was when I reached my thinnest - I heard that you fill in a bit more as time goes on.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #3  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I'm significantly older than you are (I'm in my late 40s.) I started off morbidly obese and have lost a little over 80 lbs so far. I had quite a chubby face at my starting weight. I don't recall having any nasiolabial folds before I lost weight. Two and a half months ago I posted a thread inquiring about people's experience with facial wrinkles and those exact folds. Losing weight made me look much closer to my actual age because expression lines and wrinkles were no longer hidden by an obese face. I was most upset about the development of nasiolabial folds for sure! ugh! However, I wanted to reassure you that in the last two months, my face has "settled" for lack of a better word. The folds have noticeable flattened and have diminished some. They now resemble more age-appropriate facial lines and only look fold-y closer to my nose. Collagen is an issue for middle-aged ladies like myself - an issue you won't be dealing with. Losing a lot of weight is a long journey that does not end when you reach your goal weight. You will see skin/appearance improvements during maintenance as well, it just takes time. Don't be discouraged Facial changes aside, I absolutely look much better and healthier overall. Smiling helps camo the folds

You are still quite young and it's possible losing weight might even eliminate those rolls because your youth usually equals much better skin elasticity. I saw a progress photo of a couple of younger people who started off with nasiolabial folds and they flat out disappeared by the time they reached their goal weight, so it's not a given at all that those folds will deepen or become more exaggerated.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

very good reply toowicky! I would also recommend drinking lots and lots of water, it is your best friend and your skins best friend & make sure you take a vitamin that has the B's in it. Good Luck
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never knew there was a name for that face feature. I've known quite a few people with nasiolabial folds including some relatives and I always thought it was kind of cool.

As for yourself, you won't know what changes you experience until you lose weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I never knew there was a name for that face feature. I've known quite a few people with nasiolabial folds including some relatives and I always thought it was kind of cool.

As for yourself, you won't know what changes you experience until you lose weight.

There's a name for pretty much everything
Veronica133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

My "N" went "south" years ago! LOL.

Hubby, kids and grandkids still love me!

A lot more than the "N" has gone south! It's all good!

I'm healthy and happy!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

WAit - are nasiolabial folds a bad thing? I feel like they look really attractive on a lot of people!!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #9  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

I didn't know that these folds were a bad thing. My mum has always had them and she hasn't even lost a lot of weight and has always been thin. I don't think it's something to worry about really.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Um... Yes? A little? My experience was like TooWicky's, where they worsened and then got better. And even if they never had, I still looked a universe better than I did one hundred pounds before. It's not even on the radar of anyone but me, and fat is far more aging than wrinkles to young features, in my experience. I look younger at 27 than I did at 20, for just this reason.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #11  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Mine were more defined when I was skinnier (when I was exactly the weight I would now like to achieve). I am kind of dreading that now because I always brag about how I'm aging so nicely, with no gray hairs or wrinkles. Oh well. I think I much rather have a few more wrinkles here and there but be healthier.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Well, I definitely don't want those folds; but I think hydration makes a bigger difference on these than wrinkles (tho hydration helps your overall skin, too). I also think if you're doing low fat, they tend to be more pronounced. I think low carb where you're consuming more fats helps that. I am doing low carb and drinking a ton of water so I am hopeful. But I'm glad to hear that really nobody seems to mind them on other people. It's something I tend to really notice (I think Richard Simmons has really deep NL folds), tho.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #13  

Yes it will definitely help, but you have to lose weight significantly. Just be determined about losing weight, do exercise daily, follow a proper diet plan and you will see your body as you want.
Visit this website for more health tips and articles : makkelijkafvallen.org
alfredficher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Mine have gotten significantly worse since losing weight, and I can't stand them. It's all I see when I look in a facial picture of me. I'm a bit older too - 44, so all my wrinkles have shown up as well. They don't annoy me enough though to tempt me to spend money on plastic surgery though - yet.

Given that, would I lose the weight all over again even knowing this is how my face would turn out? In a heartbeat. I'm sure people notice fat way more then they notice wrinkles.

Last edited by Vex; 01-30-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWicky View Post
I'm significantly older than you are (I'm in my late 40s.) I started off morbidly obese and have lost a little over 80 lbs so far. I had quite a chubby face at my starting weight. I don't recall having any nasiolabial folds before I lost weight. Two and a half months ago I posted a thread inquiring about people's experience with facial wrinkles and those exact folds. Losing weight made me look much closer to my actual age because expression lines and wrinkles were no longer hidden by an obese face. I was most upset about the development of nasiolabial folds for sure! ugh! However, I wanted to reassure you that in the last two months, my face has "settled" for lack of a better word. The folds have noticeable flattened and have diminished some. They now resemble more age-appropriate facial lines and only look fold-y closer to my nose. Collagen is an issue for middle-aged ladies like myself - an issue you won't be dealing with. Losing a lot of weight is a long journey that does not end when you reach your goal weight. You will see skin/appearance improvements during maintenance as well, it just takes time. Don't be discouraged Facial changes aside, I absolutely look much better and healthier overall. Smiling helps camo the folds

You are still quite young and it's possible losing weight might even eliminate those rolls because your youth usually equals much better skin elasticity. I saw a progress photo of a couple of younger people who started off with nasiolabial folds and they flat out disappeared by the time they reached their goal weight, so it's not a given at all that those folds will deepen or become more exaggerated.
I like your post TooWicky. Gives me hope that after I settle at my goal weight, maybe the NS folds won't be too bad. I'm hating how they've just appeared...have never had them and I still have 25 pounds to lose, so not sure how they'll look.

I just posted about this in "How did your face change after you lost weight".

Have you noticed your face "settle" more as time has gone by? Or perhaps you just are more used to seeing your new face too.
F1reFly is offline   Reply With Quote