Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/205/155

Height: 5'5

Default What is the correct amt of grams of protein, carbs, etc on a 1200 cal diet?

I am trying to stay on a 1200 cal diet but not sure what is the correct amt of protein, carbs, sodium, fat I should be looking at. Is there a range or set number I should be striving for? I am eating "clean, whole foods". Thanks for your advise!
Psav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm sure you will find a variety of responses to this -- because someone going "low carb" is going to be aiming for different percentages than someone who is maybe just "calorie counting" and not worrying so much about macro-nutrients.

For another example, here is a plan that recommends a 40-30-30 approach: http://www.3fatchicks.com/what-is-the-40-30-30-diet/

Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

That depends on a set of factors. Are you exercising at all?

What follows is entirely my opinion, based on a lot of reading and personal experience:

A healthy mix for someone who is not diabetic, wants to lose weight and is on some sort of exercise routine that includes weight training: 30% fat, 30% protein, 40% carbohydrates. So for 1200 calories, that's 40 gm. of fat, 90 gm. of protein, and 120 gm. of carbs.

If you're eating clean, get your carbs from mostly vegetables and no more than two servings of fruit. You could still have some dried legumes and whole grains. Whole grains, not flour made from whole grains. Don't drink any calories. Don't be afraid to eat healthy fats from grass-fed protein sources and olive oil.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

I will say that I don't bother figuring out macro-nutrients (protein/carbs/fats).

As a vegan, everyone is always so concerned about how I will get enough protein. Everyone except me, that is. I have plenty of muscle mass, so clearly I get enough protein without worrying about it.

I do scribble down everything I eat in a notebook, though. That is enough accountability to keep me on track. I used to RABIDLY count calories, but it brought out the worst of my OCD tendencies and desire for "perfection". I think calorie counting is a great overall method for other people though, and it works perfectly for many, many, many people.

Just my personal experience, you may find you do better tracking your percentages and other things more closely.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 01-16-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: because my first sentence was phrased really oddly
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #5  

There are a lot of low carb advocates on here but I've eaten 80% carbohydrate 10% protein 10% fat and felt great. I wouldn't be concerned with ratios as long as you're eating a variety of healthy whole foods with plenty of vegetables.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I'm into heavy lifting, so I have to pay close attention to my macro/micros. I'm currently at a 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat...but it changes as my dietary needs change

That being said, the only two I really need to pay attention to is my protein and fat intake. If I feel like I need more energy, I eat more carb rich foods. When I am fine on energy, I don't.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #7  

Here is a link to Lyle Mcdonald's guide - just eat more than his plan (which is a tad fewer cals than yours)

I would read it through and customize the diet according to your starting point. He makes suggestions for people depending on their weights.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

I think 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fat is a good starting point, but go by what your body feels and make changes if necessary. If you are just starting out don't worry about the macros so much as it might overcomplicate things.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
I will say that I, myself, do not bother figuring out macro-nutrients (protein/carbs/fats).

As a vegan, everyone is always so concerned about how I will get enough protein. Everyone except me, that is. I have plenty of muscle mass, so clearly I get enough protein without worrying about it.

I do scribble down everything I eat in a notebook, though. That is enough accountability to keep me on track. I used to RABIDLY count calories, but it brought out the worst of my OCD tendencies and desire for "perfection". I think calorie counting is a great overall method for other people though, and it works perfectly for many, many, many people.

Just my personal experience, you may find you do better tracking your percentages and other things more closely.
Omgosh please tell me what you eat!! I feel like I'm moving in the direction of becoming vegetarian but I feel like protein is hard to come by. Things with high proteins tend to be carb heavy (beans/dahl) so I feel at a loss just eating veggies. Would love to hear your suggestions!!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There is no 'correct' macro percentages, you just kind of figure what works best for you. For me, I tend to hover around 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fat. It fluctuates daily but not by much.

hhm6 - you don't need a lot of protein to gain muscle mass. I eat lots of legumes/beans. I wouldn't be afraid of carbs, especially when it comes to beans/legumes. If you eat a varied diet, you will tend to get enough protein.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Omgosh please tell me what you eat!! I feel like I'm moving in the direction of becoming vegetarian but I feel like protein is hard to come by. Things with high proteins tend to be carb heavy (beans/dahl) so I feel at a loss just eating veggies. Would love to hear your suggestions!!
Try TVP, also you can drink milk/yogurt and such for the B-12.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
hhm6 - you don't need a lot of protein to gain muscle mass. I eat lots of legumes/beans. I wouldn't be afraid of carbs, especially when it comes to beans/legumes. If you eat a varied diet, you will tend to get enough protein.
What she said. I eats lots and lots of veggies and beans of all kinds.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

It is also worth considering at 205lbs and 5'5, OP has probably already got a decent amount of muscle mass from carrying around a larger weight. Everytime you've had to jog, take a flight of stairs, get up and down, is slightly more resistance than the average person. Women at 5'5 and 150lbs might wear a weighted vest to build muscle, well, you've got one 24/7. Losing fat when overweight tends to reveal the body beneath that was always there
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
It is also worth considering at 205lbs and 5'5, OP has probably already got a decent amount of muscle mass from carrying around a larger weight.

That's not entirely accurate. When we weigh more, yes, there will be a bit more muscle that contends with having to haul the extra mass around. But more often, the lean body mass underneath our fluff is also due to larger organs, more skin, more bone density...and as we lose weight, organs and skin, as well as muscle if we're not doing any weight-bearing exercise, will also shrink.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #15  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I lost almost all my weight doing 50 carbs, 20 fat and 30 protein. I maintain doing closer to 40 carbs, 30 fat and 30 protein.

Hope that helps!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote