Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Question starting from scratch support please!

so I started my journey yesterday. im in it for the long haul...
but im so overwhelmed with where to start, how much to do, what to cut/not cut, left/right, up/down, ahhhhh!!!

I don't know what the best way to go about this to achieve success instead of 'biting off more than I can chew' and failing AGAIN.

what changes did you make in the beginning that led to a solid foundation for your journey?
maybe some tips or advice would help ease some of my failure anxiety.
ambermartin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Amber, lots of people here have success with calorie-counting and they use a phone/computer app call MyFitnessPal, which tracks calories, etc., to help them along. You might want to look into that. I am carb-sensitive so just reducing calories without avoiding quick-burning carbs was never successful for me. I have found a plan that works for me now, and that's the key--to find what works for you. If you go to the Diet Central section here, you'll find lots of information on different weight loss plans and maybe you'll find a plan that seems like it fits you really well and you can give it a try. Sometimes you just have to experiment to find the best path! (It's not failure; it's feedback! ) Good luck!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-14-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #3  

I think having a real solid program to follow is important to success and I know Weight Watchers is exactly that. Since you are very committed I think it would be a good place to start for you.

Last edited by Cuechick; 01-14-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Cuechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #4  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I've had the most luck with calorie counting and doing my own thing. I've always steered away from paying for a program, because I don't want to do that forever. I also get more motivation when I lose weight on my own (no idea why, but I do). Calorie counting gets very easy once you learn calories for basic foods. It's also extremely flexible. I don't do it right now, but it is my fallback when needed.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #5  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hello and welcome!!
Start off with small changes you can stick to, like just keeping track of what you're eating, not worrying so much about a certain plan right off the bat, but getting in the habit of knowing what you're taking in, it'll be easier to make adjustments if you really know what you're eating.

What has always worked for me is building a foundation of exercise, because I like to eat, exercise is a very important part of my plan. Again start off slow, just maybe some walking, and mark that down, too, if you do end up somewhere like weight watchers you'll already be in the habit if tracking what you're eating and your exercise.

Most important if you fall off your plan, just get back on it, there's no failure, everyone has setbacks, but if you end up eating well and being active more times than not eating well and being active you will be successful in the long run.

Like Jacqui said, check around the site, try something, if it doesn't quite work for you try something else, keep doing what does work and you'll develop your own plan for a healthy lifestyle.

Wishing you the best

Last edited by kelijpa; 01-14-2014 at 09:05 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

My thoughts...

Start simply. If you'd like to try basic calorie counting, pick a calorie range for you to stick at. For you, that is probably somewhere between 1200 and 1700 and log everything you eat. Adjust those calories based on your results over the next few weeks.

I wouldn't worry about splitting out fat/protein/carbs etc when you just start out. That may just overwhelm you. Later, if you want to refine nutrients based on your results and desired goals go ahead.

If calorie counting isn't your thing, look around the forums here, you might find something that suits you better.

Last edited by Vex; 01-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

thank you all so much for your encouragement! I want this SO bad and im definitely going to be browsing through the forums some more. there are so many good stories and ideas! I keep telling myself ONE. DAY. AT. A. TIME. its all about skipping the oreos and grabbing the apple. replacing a soda with a water. I tend to be an emotional eater and I hate that I use ben and jerrys as a crutch.

you're all so right. little steps. and thank you for all the tidbits, im extremely grateful!
ambermartin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #8  

Welcome ambermartin05! :hugs:

One of the best first steps that I've found is to use your phone (if you have a 'not so smart'-smartphone) to take a pic of everything you eat in a day. This is easier than keeping a food log, and doesn't require you to think or calculate anything. Then, after maybe a week or so, you can look back through the pics and figure out what/where/when you're eating. And which, if any, items keep popping up that you feel are counter-productive for your goals.

Another few little 'no-effort' tricks I enjoy include; drink a full pint of water before every meal, focus on EATING during meals (not reading or watching tv, etc.) and go for a 10min walk (or trek up the stairs) every day.

You're on the right track with 'one day at a time'. Don't feel that everything needs to switch all at once, that's a great way to give up after 10 days. Baby steps, little changes are key. Good luck, we're all here rooting for you!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

Last edited by Defining; 01-26-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

It is a long haul!

In looking back, at where I started, and where I am now.

Patience, track your food, take pictures, start a blog to track everything. Food, emotions, exercise, yada, yada.

The biggest thing is, getting your head in the journey. Our bodies are amazing! But, the brain, has to be engaged before the body will follow.

It's not a body thing, it's a mind thing!

So, be patient, there is no failure, only feedback. Take a breath and learn!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #10  
diamondgeog

I actually don't calorie track. I couldn't do it, wouldn't do it. But it is very helpful for many.

I think you need to understand a calorie is not a calorie. What I mean is I was a carb/sugar addict. I could not eat under 2000 calories if I kept having especially non vegetable carbs. They just kept me hungry all the time. My big belly was my body trying its best to keep me alive by getting the glucose out of my blood and storing it as fat.

So I had to go cold turkey from fast food, snacks, bread, pasta, potatoes. Worked better than I could have imagined. I would definitely learn about glycemic index, relation of carbs and sugar.

Lots of people say I need to cut out sugar but forget carbs hit bloodstream bam glucose.

I agree about the exercise then expirements with healthier eating. Understanding a little of the science helped me make good choices especially understanding I had to target certain groups to get control of my appetite. A calorie was not just a calorie or I would have continued to overeat.