Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default family chewing driving me crazy

I noticed this shortly after my weight loss surgery that since I was eating so much less I'd be sitting at the table long after I was done eating listening to my family eating. Listening to them chew and swallow drives me crazy. When I'm actually eating myself of course I don't hear them but as soon as I am done I am so much more aware of it. I have to get up from the table and sit in the living room. I'm still in conversation distance but I can't hear them. I don't know why this is and recently it has gotten worse. It's not like they are chewing with their mouths open or have any disgusting habits, just regular eating but I can't stand listening to it. Is this really too weird??
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #2  
Jen

Apparently not (answering my own post!). It's a condition called misophonia. Basically folks get literally enraged by listening to common everyday noises others are making like eating, fidgeting, clicking pens or fingernails, doofy little things like that. Interesting. At least I don't feel like a complete freak now.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

oh my!!!! how interesting! so how are you going to handle this? get noise canceling headphones??? <JK!!!!!>

I have to confess that for a LONG time after my surgery, I always had my knitting with me, and when i was finished and others were still eating, i took out my knitting! i HAD TO keep my hands busy.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I am so glad someone finally brought this up!

My Dh's chewing drives me NUTS!

I am a slow eater. He is a shoveler! He who eats the fastest gets the mostest. He does not chew, just shovels! The dumb thing, is he's skinny.

Drives me batcr@p!

Slop, slurp, shovel, swallow, and so on!

Even his swallowing, drives me up the wall.

After 36 years of marriage, I hate to eat with him, and the slurping, and shoveling, and so on!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #5  

OMG I thought I was the only one who hates listening to my dh eat.. it drives me nuts to the point where I tell him either improve your manners or im going back in the kitchen(he eats in front of the tv) also while watching tv he chews on ice crunch crunch crunch it is like chalk squeaking on a blackboard it soooo iratates me.. glad to know it has a name and im not alone or nuts akrosey49
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

It's not weird. Every single morning my boss comes down to the office (I work out of her home) with a bowl of cereal in a glass bowl. So I hear "Clink! Slurrrp. Chew. Chew. Chew. Swallow. Clink..." and it drives me insane. It's just something I have to tune out, because it's her business and nothing's going to change, but gosh I wish she'd eat upstairs.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #7  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I have a co-worker who is.. an enthusiastic eater. She is following some fad diet that cycles through foods, and unfortunately, one of those cycles includes eating nothing but celery and bacon (not kidding you). We ALL know when her celery day is, because she sits at the desk and crunch crunch crunches through the day.

I almost smacked her the last time she walked up behind me to ask me a question and decided right then was the perfect time to take a huge bite.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #8  
Jen

So glad I am not alone in this! I just can't think when this ordinary noise started to get to me but I almost go crazy with the chewing. Also very annoying is when somebody drops something with a loud crash, I just about jump a foot in the air. My husband will sometimes bring snacks to bed and I have to either get my headphones on or leave the room entirely.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

slurping drives me NUTS!!!....it alwayssss has....cereal, hot beverages, etc...slurrrppppp.....ugh my dad does it, my teenager does it, my little son does it...omg just OPEN your mouth and eat it OR wait until it's cooled down to eat it without noise....OMG....I can correct my kids but I would never say anything to my dad about it
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #10  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
It's a condition called misophonia. Basically folks get literally enraged by listening to common everyday noises others are making like eating, fidgeting, clicking pens or fingernails, doofy little things like that.
I have this. Strangely, it started somewhat abruptly about six years ago, and was soon followed by my developing a neurologic-type of disorder. Any mouth-related noise, especially teeth hitting metal utensils or each other, suddenly enrages me. My poor fiancé - we have a tiny apartment so all noises are inescapable. I've been attempting a homespun version of cognitive therapy: in my attempt to cure myself, I constantly remind myself of how much I love him and how lucky I am to have someone I love sitting a foot away from me making horrible eating sounds. It sort of works What has probably helped more is having music playing (or TV, if we eat on the sofa) during all meals. It doesn't drown it out entirely but my response to noises is much more moderate - "auditory distraction" seems to help.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote