General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question I need help with suggestions for a gift??

Hi there,

I would very much like others opinions on what an appropriate gift to get a surgeon is. I will be seeing my ankle surgeon for probably the last time in a little over a week, I have given him cookies which he liked but I really want to give a thank you gift for all of his superb and extraordinary care, it means a lot to have been so supportive and have performed a surgery which was so successful. I don't usually get gifts for people who I see as their patient, or they are small, maybe a card but this surgeon has gone above and beyond anything I ever expected.

I don't know what is pc/appropriate but I thought that I could get him a nice photo frame or a wallet or a scarf? I could paint something at a pottery boutique but I wanted something a bit more professional.

Please send your ideas this way! I am also considering getting a smaller gift for his assistant who also has been so incredibly helpful, who is male and in his thirties, my surgeon is only slightly older.

Thank you so much!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Spa day. Massage. Talk to them and find out what they are into.

It could be anything from, jumping out of perfectly good air planes, to a love of high buck fudge, or camping, pedi, rock climbing at the gym.

Make general convo, and find out. Maybe they might like a donation to a local animal shelter in there name, or the local Y.

Ya just gotta visit and find out!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/157/153

Height: 5 ft. four inches

Hi. My husband is a family practice doctor. If you can afford it, here is a list of gifts that he has received and reported really liking:

a)gift card to restaurant
b)gourmet jam
c)fruit basket
Valkyrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #4  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking

Great! Thank you so much!

I like the fruit basket idea. Harry and David and Wolferman's have great baskets. I'll look into that, thank you! I'll also look into gift cards for restaurants in the area, thanks!

Amy
Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #5  
"Evolution Required"

S/C/G: 250/Ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I second the fruit basket, I love love love Edible arrangements. Those bouquets did not sit long in our fridge any of the times I was gifted one
MarliQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Please be aware that there can be items that are construed as "conflicts of interest" in the medical community. Normally, a gift of $50 or less is okay or if it's something he can share with his office (ie food/fruit basket) then it can be a larger amount. Patients want to show their appreciation, but if it's "too big" of gift, it can put the physician in jeopardy.

As a patient, I want to show my docs that I'm grateful. But, as an employee at a medical I see some of the things patients give "my" docs and I cringe at the dollar amount because of the conflict of interest rules.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 AM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

coffee.....i'll bet everyone in that professional drinks far too much coffee LOL

gourmet coffee beans, coffee card to a local place, coffee mug with some beans, stuff like that
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie1 View Post
Hi. My husband is a family practice doctor. If you can afford it, here is a list of gifts that he has received and reported really liking:

a)gift card to restaurant
b)gourmet jam
c)fruit basket
^This^ I was going to say fruit basket. We actually ordered an edible arrangement for my OB + his office staff to thank them for their care during my pregnancy.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #9  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Default thank you for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning towards a Harry and David Fruit and Treat Tower, I think that would be nice.

Jenjen- I appreciate your advice, I hope that there wouldn't be a problem with a fruit basket.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I like the idea of a gift he can share with his staff (assuming you liked the staff). I think an edible arrangement, fruit basket, or other treat basket is a great idea!

You could also give him a gift card to a local pizzeria so he can treat himself and staff to a pizza lunch one day.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I think your fruit basket idea is lovely. What I appreciate the most from the people I work for that are thanking me are their heart-felt thank you notes. Be sure to put time into that as well.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yes the fruit and treat tower is a great idea that he can share with his staff.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote