Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default January 2014 C25K - Running Wild!

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd start up a C25K thread to start off the new year!

Tomorrow marks WK1 D1 for me, my goal is to be able to RUN in a 5K this summer!

Who else is making a RUN for 2015??!!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #2  
diamondgeog

Yesterday evening I did W6D2 on my program which is Ease Into 5K. It was 10 minute, 3 min walk, 10 minute. Next time is my 20 min run.

I felt awesome. I also signed up over the weekend for my first 5K, on March 30th. It is the Austin Biggest Loser Run/Walk. It was good timing and should be a large turnout so that will be fun.

I was thinking I might have to walk for a bit. But essentially 3 months I should be running the whole way.

I started last August in brutal summer weather and I was around 260s. Maybe 270s cannot remember. I could not jog from the middle of my block to the end. About 300 feet.

I encourage everyone to stick with it. If I could become a runner anyone can. Take it slow and if you are overweight and certainly obese, which I was and I technically BMI wise still am, invest in good shoes. I know they are pricey but worth it.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I have w7d2 scheduled for this evening (25 min run). I remember w1d1 - I thought there was no way I could do all those running segments! But I just did it and each week I have surprised myself with my progress. I am still a very slow runner. But I am running!
Good luck to you!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I am also planning to start W1D1 tomorrow. I have started this program so many times I can't even count but this time I think I am in a better frame of mind and I have a plan. I will check back on this thread to keep me motivated.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Yay! Coincidently I restarted W1D1 today. Last year I wasn't able to get pass W8. I'm not a naturally gifted runner but I'm going to give this another go.
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #6  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Okay...so I am starting W1D1 tommorow and i have no clue how to do this...guess i got to google it. I am so nervous! First time running since i was 320 lbs and worried about my breathing. I can never seem to get my breathing pattern right without starting to hyperventilate. Also worried about eating enough.. Is this really going to help me lose weight? Running??? Cause my goal is to lose another 48 pounds to get to my goal weight?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #7  

Porthardygurl, do you have a smartphone? I use an app on my iphone and it tells me when to switch between jogging and walking. Plus, you can listen to music in the background.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #8  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

i have an android ...no apple
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #9  

Porthardygurl...there's an android app...I use one on my nexus tablet, downloaded for free. there are links on coolrunning.com and/or you can look for c25k on google play store.
As for breathing, keep your pace slow! If you think you can run slower, you're going too fast. Just take it easy and do your best. It's OK to repeat a day or a week if you can't make it through the first time. Better to go slow than to get injured or discouraged by starting out too quickly.

BTW, completed w7d2 last night. It was a challenge because I normally listen to music on my tablet while running instead of watching the countdown clock on the c25k app...but accuradio crapped out midway. First time I ever had issues with the accuradio app, but I need to look into a backup plan I can implement on the go. Its definitely easier for me to run to music.

Last edited by fadedbluejeans; 01-08-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #10  

Yay for all the first timers and re-starters! Let's make this year the year to run.

This will be attempt #2 at the whole running thing. I think I may have only made it to week 6 last round, but I am bound and determined to finish the damn thing this time.

Speaking of apps, what apps are you all using? Pro and cons?

I have the Zen Labs C25K trainer pro (IOS) I think I paid a buck or two for it, probably because ads can really piss me off! I like it as I can play my own music and there is a voice (or a beep or vibrate) that chimes in and tells me when to run and when to walk. Its nice to look at, nice to use and I haven't had any issues with it. I wouldn't mind if it had a landscape mode as that's often how my phone sits on the treadmill.

bluejeans - have you tried songza? If you like playlist based on your activity you should check it out. Some pretty great dance/workout playlists, and as long as there isn't an issue with your connection it should be good to go. Or find an app with built in music player!

Do you guys warm up before you start, or do you just dive right in?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #11  

I haven't tried songza, I'll check it out. the app I use for c25k was free, it has ads but they don't bother me since I don't look at it while I run. I just start it and the walk/run prompts come through in the background of my music. I use a treadmill and my nexus tablet (android). (I don't want to use headphones because I need to be able to hear my child.
I usually do some quick calf/quad/hamstring stretches, then my program starts with a 5 min walking warmup. My program does not have a cool down included, but I always do at least 5 minutes walking cool down and then calf/quad/hamstring stretches again - just really quick, like 30 seconds each.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #12  
finale

S/C/G: 241 11/13/13, GW 180

Height: 5' 3"

I plan on running a 5k and hopefully a 10k this summer. I'm in
finale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #13  
diamondgeog

I am using Ease Into 5K. I like it because on iOS at least it gives distance and pace. As long as you start it first you can use any music app with it.

Did my W6D3 the 20 minute run. Perhaps a little slower than my usual runs but heart rate was still in the 150s or 160s the entire time, and no sweat. Actually the second half was easier, must have got my 'wind'.

Just mind-boggling to me I can do this at 48 whereas last summer I could not jog 300 feet. If I can anyone can. And you should all Google benefits of running. Amazing weight loss benefits, body benefits, AND mind benefits. It really helps with the mind especially keeping it plastic and spry at any age.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-08-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #14  

I'm using the Zen Labs version too and I'm pretty happy with it. Ditto on Songza. I'm too lazy and don't like going trough the trouble of making my own playlists. Actually, Songza has an excellent collection of workout playlists!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #15  

Wk1 D1 DONE! F Yeah! I put on the "Indie Metal Ripped" playlist from Songza and powered through

How was everyone else's first day back/at it?!

rbphonix - Woot woot another fellow Saskie! (apparently I didn't notice that before)

diamondgeog Week 6, that's awesome! I didn't make it past 4! lol