View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 AM   #1

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

Question Thyroidectomy and WLS

Hello 3FC members,

This is crazy to me. I just logged in and the sure told me my last log in was in 2007. I remember jiffypop from the 100 lbs to lose board too!

And if you can see in my signature (which I need to change!!), I had list down to 185ish pounds back then. My lowest weight was 168 sometime in 2009.

Well, then I got thyroid disease. Hashimoto's thyroiditis, to be exact. I got put on medications but the slow gain started. I had small nodules and they got biopsied. No cancer (yet).

By 2012 I was about 200 lbs most of the time. Constantly fighting that scale to stay under my scary weight. Little did I know how much scarier it was going to get.

In 2013, the growth on my neck started getting bigger. I didn't notice until the nurses in my nursing home started commenting on the huge bulge that was my neck. The director of nurses told me it was probably my causing my weight gain. I didn't think anyone had noticed.

I did a month long strict high protein diet. I lost 3 lbs. something was wrong.

In July 2013, I saw my doctor and he says two things:
1. The thyroid needs to come OUT
2. Have you considered WLS?

I was 240 lbs at that office visit. I hadn't considered it yet. But the wheels started turning.

I figured I needed to get my thyroid situation handled first though. So in August, I had a thyroidectomy. The growth on it was over 8 cm wide and looked like another heart growing on my thyroid. And guess what? It had cancer.

So I recovered from my surgery, hasn't gotten better. It's gotten WORSE. No matter what diet I do, I gain weight.

I got a new job, and my new health insurance kicked in on Jan 1st. Saw the dr for a general plan of what to do. Bloodwork, transfer over my prescriptions and figure out what I need as far as thyroid meds... and he gave me information on WLS.

I was 280 lbs yesterday. Two eighty. As you can see from my old signature -- my highest weight before was 250.

Oh, and want to know the crazy part? When I last left you guys, I was an office assistant.

Today, I'm a REGISTERED DIETITIAN, and have been for 5 years. There's nothing more embarrassing than saying "hi, I'm your dietitian" and knowing they are looking at your morbidly obese body and wondering what the **** went wrong.

Luckily, my new doctor realized that sending me to a dietitian wasn't the next step, that we could skip that part. ::rotfl::

I have Kaiser health insurance, in California, and my plan covers the procedure 100%. I'd have to pay copays and a $250 hospital few. Very small price to pay.

And so here I am. Doing research. Trying to figure out which one is best for me. Looking at what my hurdles will be.

I'm an overeater in quantity. I get scared to feel hungry. I like snack foods and can kill a box of cheeze-it's in one sitting. Or triscuits and cheese. That can be a meal. But I'm also addicted to sugar. Cookies. Or a bag of gummy worms. Or Hershey's kisses. I'm not picky. It looks like I could go either way with gastric bypass or sleeve...and I think I'm leaving sleeve.

But also -- I have no thyroid and I still have hashimoto's disease. Anyone else done this with a severe thyroid disorder? Will it all be for naught?

- Holly, the older and wiser one, who promises she will change her signature eventually.

Gastric Sleeve in 2014
302 / 179 / 170

Ancient History
My weight loss from 2002-2009:
244 / 175 (lowest) / 170
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote