Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #1  
More food, less me!

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Running into a snag

Today is my official one-week anniversary of vegetarianism! Seven days in!

and though I feel awesome, (not sure if I'm losing though, as I JUST got a scale and am very unsure of my starting weight. :/ oops) I've been tracking my intakes with myfitnesspal, and no matter how MUCH I eat, I have trouble getting out of the "starvation zone"! It's becoming a real concern for me! I don't want to throw my body off and slow down my metabolism! That'd be incredibly counter productive to my mission!
I'm eating a TON. making sure to get me good fats and everything (I'm an avocado fiend, and I cook everything in coconut oil!) and I haven't entirely eliminated dairy (though I drink almond milk, I still use a bit of Greek yogurt in my smoothies, and I enjoy an ounce of cheddar grated onto a salad.) or eggs (even though I haven't had those yet either, I plan to keep them incorporated for the proteins and amino acids, as I have brittle nails, and a skin condition) or fish (again, omegas etc for my skin.) even though I've not eaten more than a bit of shrimp/lobster chowder when eating out with a friend and a taste of the new shrimp I purchased (which was WAY better than the previous stuff I was using!) when I made my hubby shrimp Alfredo, because I do what I can to avoid fat-laden sauces and refined carbs.
That being said. My most calorie-dense meals have involved tofu, couscous, and chickpeas, and I was wondering how else I could take In some GOOD calories, while sticking with this adventure that is vegetarianism?!
whollyhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #2  

Whole grains: brown rice, quinoa (protein bonus) and others
Amp up vegetables and in this winter (if you are in the northern hemi) the hard squashes are incredibly satisfying - my favorite is kabocha
Tofu
Eggs as you noted (I like a whole egg and added whites to bulk it up)
Lentils are my comfort pulse - so versatile, freeze well
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

If you're description of your diet is true, then there's probably a bug in the program or the way you've set it up. go back and check your profile numbers. And if it still doesn't seem right, ask the web masters to check what you are doing and for a fault or error.

Log in detail what you eat here for one day so we can see if it looks right. Also note your weight and height.

You know each meal, quantities and if you cooked it, what went in it.

also describe your activity and exercise if you do it.

Unless you really love the coconut oil, most of what you hear about it is hype - there's plenty of reputable sources on the net that say so. Go back to olive oil which tastes much better. Well that is unless you love that coconut stuff. I find it rather gross myself.

Avocardo is so rich in fat its hard to imagine you are in starvation zone if you are eating a lot of it.

Certainly if you are not feeling hungry, then its unlikely your calorie intake is too low.

I think I might check out this fitness pal myself. Though i don't like programs that are too fidgety.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #4  
More food, less me!

image.jpg
Okay. So this should be an image of My Salad
I ate this today (just the salad along with the screenshot of the other foods I'm having difficulties posting. Gimme a sec.)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #5  
More food, less me!

Ok. Scratch that. That was the screenshot, THIS is my salad, as referenced above. image.jpg soooo tasty! (I admit I did have trouble estimating the portions of what is in it)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #6  
banned

Breakfast
Glass of Milk - Whole, 1 cup 146 11g 8g 8g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
Csr (Australia) - Raw Sugar, 1 tsp 16 4g 0g 0g 0mg 1mg 16g 0g
Kellogs's - Cornflakes, 1 cup 100 24g 0g 2g 0mg 200mg 3g 1g

Lunch
Helgas Wholegrain Quinoa & Flaxseed (Au) - Bread, 2 slices (77.8g) 200 30g 4g 9g 0mg 342mg 2g 5g
Tomato - Whole, Fresh, Medium Size , 1 whole 28 6g 0g 1g 0mg 11mg 0g 2g
Nimbin Valley Dairy - Lillian Fetta Goat Cheese, 25 g 70 0g 6g 5g 0mg 268mg 0g 0g
Generic - Whole Milk 100ml, 125 ml 80 6g 5g 4g 0mg 0mg 6g 0g
Western Star - Butter - Salt Reduced, 3 teaspoon (5g) 93 0g 11g 0g 0mg 42mg 0g 0g

Dinner
Birdseye - Frozen Spinach, 1/3 cup 30 3g 0g 2g 0mg 125mg 0g 1g
Cheese - Parmesan, grated, 1 tbsp 22 0g 1g 2g 4mg 76mg 0g 0g
Leggos - Pasta Bake - Tomato, Ricotta, and Spinach, 50 grams 42 3g 3g 1g 0mg 234mg 1g 0g
Generic - Wine, White, Dry, Sauvignon Blanc 150ml, 250 ml 244 6g 0g 0g 0mg 26mg 4g 0g
Generic - Whole Milk 100ml, 125 ml 80 6g 5g 4g 0mg 0mg 6g 0g
Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon 119 0g 14g 0g 0mg 0mg 0g 0g
Barilla - Cannelloni Tubes, 3 tube (10g) 108 22g 0g 4g 0mg 0mg 1g 1g
Perfect Italiano Ricotta Cheese - Original - Ricotta Cheese, 75 g 96 2g 8g 5g 0mg 159mg 2g 0g

TOTAL: 1,474 calories 123g carbs 65g fats 47g protein 4mg 1,484mg salt 41g sugar 10g fibre

So that's mine for today. It has to be approximate unless you are fastidious about weighing everything. I can still eat a bit more to reach my goal for losing about half a pound a week/1/4 kg per week.

I haven't had dinner yet but this is what i will have. If i need more, i will eat some fruit i think.

Maybe you could copy and paste one of your days over here like i just did.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #7  
banned

For measuring food, i find the easiest measurement to use most of the time is a cup, tbsp and i try to do most of food that way. Not the veggies as such other stuff. Something you only have to do once in order to know what's what.

What's the drink. The salad looks nice. And theres lots of fruit. Vegies and fruits are bulky. I think this is a good meal.

Have you figured out how many calories you need to eat just to main your original starting weight? How does that compare with how many calories you are eating daily. Have you factored in exercise. Don't forget you set up some info when you started out but it is also possible that you are underestimating your food quantities.

Last edited by Pattience; 01-07-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #8  
More food, less me!

The drink was vanilla almond milk. That was a lunch from a couple days ago. And I couldn't eat the banana or one of the clementines, because I was so full! I just like to make my fruit smile hahaha
That's the estimated calories for me to lose weight that is listed 1500. The app does it all for me. And the first photo IS my intakes for the day. If you click it it'll get larger so you can see my scribbles and stuff. If anything I'm OVER estimating them just to be on the safe side. It'd be silly to underestimate, I'd only be hurting myself, and I've done enough of that over the past ten years by ending up so very overweight!
I'm working at it, and I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things! One week down, to goal I go! At least, that's the plan!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #9  
banned

Ok i've had a look at your daily diet now. I Notice you are very low in fats and also quite low in carbs but your protein is almost as high as recommended.

And no dairy. Are you being a vegan. You coud add some nuts. You are low in fats so it would be a good addition as fats are higher in calories per gram than protein and carbs. Add them to your salads to make them really delicious.

Do you use salad dressing? Another way to boost the calories. Use olive though its much nicer. Or have i said that already.

If you are eating yoghurt sometimes, it goes on nice on roast veggies and other veggies as well. It goes so well on many savoury dishes, e.g. curries and lentil and bean dishes. Yoghurt with garlic in it is super delicious - it tzatziki. or you can make a raita (indian accompaniment) it includes salad veggies in the yoghurt like cucumber, tomato and carrot, usually diced up.

Also notice that you sodium intake is high. That's because you are eating processed foods.

And finally you are only eating two meals a day.

I would make nuts and seeds a regular part of your diet but be careful they don't become the new chocolate for you. Best to incorporate them into a meal rather than snack on them separately if you don't want to succumb to a nut binge - as i am inclined to do, especially with peanuts.

Last edited by Pattience; 01-08-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #10  
More food, less me!

Thanks for all the advice! I knew yogurt was versatile, but you've made some really cool suggestions for how to use it! And I'm not trying to go vegan, but as little dairy as possible can only benefit me. I've only been eating two meals a day because if I'm not physically hungry I'm not eating. I'm not hungry in the mornings. I don't know why, I'm. Just not. And the sodium intake is so high for yesterday because of my canned chickpeas and the jarred curry paste I use. I don't use salad dressings because they're incredibly calorie dense, and I like the way my salad tastes without it. Maybe a different salad would need dressing, but not with my avocados and pickled jalapeņos!
I'm going to try a few of your suggestions. I DEFINATELY love sunflower seeds over a salad, so I'm going to buy some of those next trip to the grocery store! Also, I'm going to get some quinoa, even though its killer expensive, and I'm having trouble finding nuts that aren't roasted or salted, so of anyone could clue me in there, I'd really appreciate that as well?
This forum rocks!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm vegan but I have no problem eating 2000+ calories if I don't watch it.

Typical day for me:
Breakfast:Smoothie with protein powder, frozen berries, unsweetened almond milk and flax seed meal.

Snack: Chia pudding with unsweetened almond milk, pumpkin puree and chia seeds.

Lunch: Large salad with lots of veggies, some beans, some quinoa and some olive oil/balsamic vinegar. Maybe a piece of fruit as well.

Dinner: Quinoa (or other grain) with a tempeh/tofu or bean dish. Steamed greens on the side

I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #12  
banned

whollyhick,

check out health food shops, coops and alternative shops for raw nuts. I am surprised you can't find unsalted nuts in your supermarkets. Sounds like they haven't cottoned on yet. Find a better supermarket. Though dry roasted is fine. Ive got some peanuts roasted in their shells which are divine.

You really don't need much olive oil in a dressing to make a nice difference. When i am being really fat tight, i might put as little as 1tsp in my dishes. You can afford the calories. Fat is not evil and some of it is quite good for you. Though mind you, in your avocado salad, there is already plenty of fat in that one.

And today i bought some verjuice which is grape juice product to experiment with. One of our more famous tv cooks has been going on about it for years. But it was quite expensive. Finally my curiosity got the better of me.

You may even like to try making an avocado dressing by mashing some with vinegar or lemon juice. Obviously it will be thick but it will coat everything.

don't forget sesame seeds. Toasted even better.

Thanks for getting me onto fitness pal i think i am going to try using it for a while, though i just realised its going to be testing for recipes that are not for one meal.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

What I noticed is that you are getting almost 40 percent of your daily calories from fat. That seems super high to me. I would trade out some of the cheese (a fat) for nuts (a fat with vitamins) and add more produce. Also I would experiment with lowering your grains, I know a lot of grains make me very hungry.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote