Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG)

I have developed the feather brained idea that I am going to complete a pullup come the end of this year. More precisely, TEN pullups. Now, I HAVE been lifting weights. I do quite well, all things considered. I bench 85 and my free weight curls are at 20 pounds. I THOUGHT I was fairly strong. Then I attempted a pullup two days ago. I KNEW I wouldn't succeed. But I didn't think I would fail so horribly. I couldn't even get 5 inches off the floor. Not even close. So, OCD and type A personality me set out on how to find a way to train my body for this impressive task. I learned a few things in my research these past couple of days....

1 - Roughly only 1-3% of American women can do ONE pullup.
2 - The Marines have eliminated pullups from the requirement for women due to the difficulty they have getting off the ground.
3 - Women are very unlikely to be able to do a pullup if they exceed 130 pounds and have more than 10% body fat.

Right then. Well, until I prove myself wrong, I call bunk on all of this. I mean, sure, it probably is accurate, but I am a strong believer that you shape your own destiny and I REFUSE to be the statistic society thinks I should be. So, here I am, setting off to prove it CAN be done. And what better way then to take up Mark Lauren's YAYOG?

So, calling out to all my fellow men and women...who's up for a bit of a challenge? Today I start my fitness assessment based out of Chapter 5. My tomorrows shall be grueling and exhausting but I WILL prove some statistics wrong, one way or another! Who's with me?
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Pull ups are HARD! I can do chin-ups, but can only do ONE unassisted pull-up at a time. Good luck with your quest!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I would love to try to be able to do both a chin up and a pull up! I will have to figure out where is a good place in my house for such a bar.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I have the book, but unfortunately I've just created a different kind of workout program for myself based on another book (and another type of goal).

But, I just wanted to say that as I was reading the other book (Strong Curves by Bret Contreras), it used these loopy type exercise bands. Not the ones that have handles or just the tubes, but is a heavy-duty stretchy circle. Anyway, so I found a place that sold them and then I started to read the comments and realized that those were used for assisted pull-ups and chin-ups! Two exercises that terrify me. I mean I would not be able to do it now at all, no way, and I can't see myself doing it, but like you...I really want to, just because it seems so difficult :-) But I think that adding the bands might be a great idea, because it helps you in lifting, but then in the same time, you'll learn the technique and teach your body how it's done.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #5  

I am on day 3 of YAYOG. I started off not even able to get 5 inches up on a single "pull me up". I LOVE this program! HUGE change in just a few days! Okay, so first, I am STARVING! Been eating crazy amounts of food and not even seeing a gain (surprisingly). Then, in just three workout sessions, I went from not being able to do a single "pull me up", which is a modified pull up using a table, to completing 17 in good form just now. Yeah, this program works! Also, my arms went from muscles hidden under fat to....I can freaking see them! So, maybe my lofty goal is doable after all...

Last edited by zoesmom; 01-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Awesome, how exciting!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

zoesmom, check out nerdfitness...there's an article there about pullups...with some great info on how to train for doing them. one hint i recall is to start in the up position in other words stand on a chair and get yourself above the bar and practice lowering down first, then progress to pulling up. I'll be rooting for you!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #8  

I actually look at nerdfitness jsut about daily My husband commented to me about 6 months ago, when I first started my endeavour of weights, that nerds (me), don't lift. Of course, I was being a smart *** when I did the google search...and lo and behold! So, I am always scooping out the articles and the "how to's" over there. I agree, GREAT info on that site!!!

I completed another day of YAYOG last night. I didn't think I'd be able to walk today, it is just so bloody intense! But, surprisingly, once I got up and moving, I'm just a little achey. I feel my strength has doubled in the past week. I did a early inch measurement yesterday too, and in just a week's time, I have dropped 3.18 inches overall (my arms went up, but that is okay!) I think my goal is doable, I really do. I think it is going to take some crazy dedication and some crazy soreness, but with the right mindset, anything can be accomplished.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

what is the difference between a chin up and a pull up? i havent tried either and i'm not sure the difference?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Chin ups your palms face you and you need a very strong core. They are much easier.

Pull ups your palms face out and you need really strong lats. Those are killer.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #11  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I might try a chin up first!
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #12  

I've actually found, for me, the modified chin ups are actually harder than the modified pull ups. But I think that is because I have carpal tunnel in my wrists. Main reason I wanted a pull up. I am at 25 super duper modified pull ups...when I get to 50, I'm going to the next level of this particular modification.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #13  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

Fantastic! :-)
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #14  
taking one day at a time

S/C/G: 203/180/135

Height: 5' 4 (5'5? measured at clinic)

I know it's been a while since this was posted but I was just wondering how you were getting on with your pull up goal and YAYOG in general? I got a copy of this book yesterday and am just starting to read through it. I've never specifically done any strength training before this week when I tried to do push ups etc and really struggled! A pull up is way out of my league for now but something I'd love to achieve.
mom24uk is offline   Reply With Quote