Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #1  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default IP bread question

I realize this is a low carb diet. However, what about Pita bread/whole wheat Pita/or Flat Bread with Flax? Most of these have less than 7 carbs, which is less than 2% of the daily intake value. I tell you all, after 7 weeks, I am about ready to toss in the towel as this diet is way too restrictive. Although I have done well on it, there is just only so much broccolli one can eat, along with the other packets. South Beach and Atkins are looking better and better, along with some good old fashioned exercise!
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Lets get to the honest truth about IP diet. It is a very self-disciplined diet. You need all the self-discipline in the world not to cheat, especially if you are like me and you crave the taste of real food as opposed to packets.

Point is: Bread is not an option on IP diet. Everyone will tell you that right away. However, if you feel that you could have bread in your diet and not sabatoge your efforts, then I recommend either Flat Out Pita or Jullian Bakery Bread. I would add a slice into my diet every day without seeing it affect my weight loss.

Now...that being said. I did not survive the IP diet for very long. I found myself endlessly cheating and bingeing because i felt so deprived. Ask yourself if this is the kind of lifestyle you could lead for the rest of your life. If not..it might not be the diet for you.

I concur that South Beach is less strict and more balanced in many ways. To each there own.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyiiiafl View Post
I realize this is a low carb diet. However, what about Pita bread/whole wheat Pita/or Flat Bread with Flax? Most of these have less than 7 carbs, which is less than 2% of the daily intake value. I tell you all, after 7 weeks, I am about ready to toss in the towel as this diet is way too restrictive. Although I have done well on it, there is just only so much broccolli one can eat, along with the other packets. South Beach and Atkins are looking better and better, along with some good old fashioned exercise!
If I get a bread craving I use the potato puree packet to make a pita type bread - works every time. Or make muffins or cookies from the pudding or drink mixes.

Have you looked at the recipe and packet hack threads? There are so many ways to make this diet interesting. I'd get bored if all I ate was broccoli - I eat a ton of different veggies and have learned some great ways to prepare them. Adding spices, roasting, grilling, pureeing, etc.

I have stayed 100% for 8 months. From what I've seen people who start adding things that aren't on the sheet tend to start making more and more deviations and are no longer actually following IP.

You've done well so far, maybe you just need to mix things up a bit and try some new recipes, etc. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Ruth Ann; 01-05-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
If I get a bread craving I use the potato puree packet to make a pita type bread - works every time. Or make muffins or cookies from the pudding or drink mixes.

Have you looked at the recipe and packet hack threads? There are so many ways to make this diet interesting. I'd get bored if all I ate was broccoli - I eat a ton of different veggies and have learned some great ways to prepare them. Adding spices, roasting, grilling, pureeing, etc.

I have stayed 100% for 8 months. From what I've seen people who start adding things that aren't on the sheet tend to start making more and more deviations and are no longer actually following IP.

You've done well so far, maybe you just need to mix things up a bit and try some new recipes, etc. I wish you the best of luck.
I stayed 100% for 10 months before a major stall changed my plans.
That being said, there is NO WAY I could have done it without the recipe threads, the puree thread, and the creativity of others.
After needing to eliminate soy/gluten, the diet became even more restrictive but I made IP my challenge & I found ways to stay on, rather than to deviate. So I made flatbreads/crackers and a LOT of zucchini muffins.

By sticking 100% I've learned new ways to prepare food, developed new, healthier tastes, and I've learned what I can truly live without.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyiiiafl View Post
Tony what I find makes my bread craving happy is the following recipe. I found it on this site or one of the many IP recipe sites i visit. I use it to make pizza using walden farms tomato sauce, veggies of choice and "Go Veggie" Mozzarella cheese.
I use the broccoli cheese soup to make the same bread for cucumber and tomato sandwiches yummmm

The thing to remember about this recipe is it says "roll out onto a pan" it's to wet to roll so you need to spread it out into an even square, it requires a little finger painting to manipulate but so worth it. Bakes like a flat bread and is awesome. I make 4 on Sundays to use through the week

Oh and like those above I make muffins for the week also

Hope this helps
Faux-caccia" Bread

IDEAL PROTEIN FAUX CACCIA BREAD STICKS. SO EASY!!

Blend 1 package Ideal Protein Tomato Basil soup, 1 t olive oil, 2 egg whites, 1/4 t baking powder, Italian
seasoning, oregano, basil.

Roll out onto a pan flat and season with sea salt and garlic salt.

Cook for 10 minutes on each side at 350.
kcdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #6  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I am going into month 8. I couldn't have done it without the recipe threads and the creative use of spices. And yes...roasting, grilling and pureeing have become very important for me. Without these, the recipes and just straight packets or broccoli.....

I personally embrace IP's restrictions because the plan works so well for me. It has been a real liberation.

Last edited by Annik; 01-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
I am going into month 8. I couldn't have done it without the recipe threads and the creative use of spices. And yes...roasting, grilling and pureeing have become very important for me. Without these, the recipes and just straight packets or broccoli.....

I personally embrace IP's restrictions because the plan works so well for me. It has been a real liberation.
Absolutely I was bored of the packets within 2 weeks . If it were not for the recipes I wouldn't have lasted, but I like Ann love the restrictions it works yet if you look you can find recipes to curve every craving
kcdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #8  

Ruthann- where can we find the Potato Purée bread recipe???
stephyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I couldn't agree more with the other posts. I think it took me a few weeks before I felt comfortable enough to venture into to the recipe threads and then I made a pancake out of the IP crispy cereal and it totally satisfied bread craving.

You got to keep mixing it up, I find my body does better, loses, with variety. Hang in there.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #10  
2nd time at IP 6/8/14

S/C/G: 265/173/135-140

Height: 5'6"

I know how you feel girl! I am restarting today and just keep telling myself that the first week is the hardest and after that you don't even crave carbs! You can do it!!!
Crystalsgettingfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #11  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephyank View Post
Ruthann- where can we find the Potato Purée bread recipe???
It's in the recipe thread but here's the one I copied (not my recipe, I just stole it and the comments!). I skip the oil and the spices if I just want plain bread.

"Flatbread

1 IP Potato puree
1 whole egg
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp basil
½ tsp oregano
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp garlic powder
2 oz water

Preheat over to 350
Mix all ingredients in bowl
Spray dish with pam
Bake in oven for 20 minutes

I added a little chopped cilantro and some red pepper flakes – came out yummy.

I also found that using a glass pie dish worked better than a non-stick pan for some reason. It didn’t stick in the glass."
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

If you really cant take the above suggestions you might want to try the official alternative protocol. It is designed for type 1 diabetcs and others who cant follow the Protocol and includes some bread and dairy. You don't lose as fast but it might be easier to live with.
I would consider that before giving up completly.
mckaren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #13  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckaren4 View Post
If you really cant take the above suggestions you might want to try the official alternative protocol. It is designed for type 1 diabetcs and others who cant follow the Protocol and includes some bread and dairy. You don't lose as fast but it might be easier to live with.
I would consider that before giving up completly.
No, not giving up completely. Actually, I plan to live with most of the diet changes, as I feel great and look so much better. I have no issues with the breakfast and lunch, as I am on the go all day long. It beats the Large steak and cheese sub, or pizza for lunch and then the nap needed. However, dinner is where I am lacking. I know the addage, start out as a king, end up as a pauper as far as eating. I plan to ramp up my exercise routine (I do 20 minutes 5 days a week, of EASY eliptical) soon and see how that goes as I slowly add in other and real foods. I am still hoping for 180, but now am just taking it on a day by day basis. Now at 208 and dropping, albeit at 1.5 to 2 lbs per week.
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote