Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 03:16 PM   #1  

Default New to Board/Running

Hi, all! I have been lurking here for a month or so and stayed up until 2 this morning reading the Atkins posts. This is me in a nutshell.....

I lost 75 pounds six years ago and have gained 50 of it back again! AAAgh! When I lost the weight I lived in Panama (DH was in the Air Force) and I walked to the gym every night and walked home again and was just going like gangbusters. I realized recently that I havn't had an exercise program since coming back to the States, hence the weight gain.

I could just kick myself!

Not to mention that when we came back to America we were like,"OH LOOK! Over there! A restaurant we need to try!!!" over and over and over again. eesh.

So, I bought a Stairmaster a few months ago and I love it except that you really do have to work up to any significant time on that thing. I mean, I can do three minutes, but that is pushing it. When I lost all that weight before I worked up from 1 minute the first time to three sets of 20 minutes each. (20 minutes on stairmaster, then 5-10 minutes on exercise bike, 20 more minutes on treadmill, then 5-10 minutes on treadmill or bike then 20 more minutes on stairmaster.)

Now I want a treadmill, but I'm sure DH would be thinking,"she doesn't use the stairmaster enough!!" whatever.

Which leaves walking/running outdoors, but it is getting cold here. I'm thinking about getting up at 5 so I can run before he leaves for work. (So as not to leave our daughter home alone!)

So, here I am. Back on the bandwagon.

You can just call me Cyndi

My screenname is WriteCyndiWrite because I am in the middle of writing a novel for www.nanowrimo.org (A challenge for writers to pen a 50,000 word novel in the month of November)
Old 01-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Hi, Cyndi

I am new here, and I am starting a running program tomorrow. I have about 65 pounds to lose (already down 35), and am hoping to drop 30 between now and 3/13, when my wife and I take an anniversary cruise.

I'm going to start out very slowly - - walking 2 minutes; jogging 15 seconds. I'll take my son (almost 10) and Stella (my gigantic standard poodle) w/ me for company. I really don't have an excuse not to be doing it, because Stella (the dog) is always game! The main reason I wanted a big dog was to have a running companion, too!

Good luck - - I think exercise is key!

DannyB
Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM   #3  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Hi Danny! My husband and I have been walking but started running and walking in December. We are taking it slow - started with running one minute and walking four minutes, 8 times. We'll be up to running 2.5 minutes, walking 2.5 minutes, 10 times, on Saturday. We're registered for our first 5K race NEXT Saturday.

My DH has lost 105 pounds in the past year - but he's tall! I'm not.

We were focusing on eating right and walking and decided to take on a 5K race. You are smart to take advantage of your willing running companions!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:57 AM   #4  

Hi, Tig

You and your husband are both doing great! Has the addition of running to your program re-energized your progress?

I ran in my early 20's. I was up to 5 miles per day and was considering doing a marathon. Then, I stopped one day and never started up again. That's when I started to gain weight (gained about 110 lbs from that point - - and I'm NOT tall!
Stopping was one of the two biggest mistakes I've made in my life (the other was quitting piano lessons when I was 11). I'd sure like to get back up to 5 miles. But, baby steps! And the most important ones are the first.

Let us know how the 5K goes.

dannyb
Old 01-10-2004, 06:54 AM   #5  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Hi Danny! I had plateaued (but I plateau on a regular basis so No Biggie, so to speak) and my DH was about 20 pounds from his goal and had slowed greatly. We decided to start training for the 5K just to get in shape for a race if we wanted to run. We're both in our 50s, so we were initially thinking we would just get the weight loss back on track, but we've discovered we love running. And neither one of us has ever run before.

We're following the guidelines from Ian MacNeill's book - and now I'm forgotten the exact title but it's something like The Beginning Runners Handbook: 13 weeks to a 5K. Every time we increase our run time by 30 seconds we think it's the hardest thing we've done - by the end of the week we're confident at that time and then the next increase! By next Thursday we'll be running 3 minutes and walking 2 minutes. My running plan for the 5K next week is to run until I need to walk and then walk until I've recovered and then run again. We like MacNeill's plan better than the Couch to 5K plan because it has more structure. We have different strides and capabilities so needed the structure.

How are you, the Dog, and the Boy doing?
Old 01-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #6  

Default I started running . . . sort of

Hi, Tig!

I logged on this morning and saw your post. Wasn't about to reply unless and until I actually ran for the first time. So - - thank's for the motivation! That's a great story, how you and hour husband got into running. I may look into the book that you mentioned. I am about halfway through a book titled "The Courage to Start", which deals w/ out of shape, sedentary folk beginning a running program. It has been a good motivator.

I bought a pair of running shoes yesterday and spent last evening wearing them around the house a bit. So that I could hold my head high and respond to you, I gathered up Eric and Stella, and we ventured into the cold. And man, is it cold today. Around zero degrees, and way below w/ the wind chill (they say up to 30 minus!). But, we set out with a plan to run a minute/walk 2 minutes for a half hour.

That lasted about 1/2 mile. We were dressed properly, but our faces were exposed and starting to hurt. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and we turned it around. Total time out and about -- about 10 minutes. I guess that counts as a baby step ?

Truth is, I feel great about having started. I wish I could have pushed myself a little, but the important thing is that I went out and did it. My goal is to run 4 times this week.

Another piece of good news is that Stella (the dog, not the boy ) behaved herself uncharacteristically well. She had a ball. Even better news, Eric (he's the boy) is excited, too. Turns out that his best friend runs regularly w/ his dad, and they enter runs together. He wants us to enter into them, too. That will keep him (and, ergo, me) motivated. He'll be turning 10 next month.

Tomorrow will be warmer, and we'll work the full half hour in.

I see you're from Florida -- it is this time of year that I wonder whether this changing seasons business isn't a bit overrated. I never seem to wonder that in October . . .

be well,

dannyb
Closed Thread