Old 12-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone here in their late 40s/early 50s? A few questions...

I am thinking of starting WW with the new year, as I am turning 50 in April and am at my highest weight in my life (190 this morning). I have some questions though --

What kind of successes have you ladies over 45 had on this program? How long did it take you to lose weight? Any modifications you had to make? How much exercise were you able to incorporate?

I am also curious if you do online or go to meetings? I've not been too motivated on my own the last couple years, so I think I may try meetings for a while.

Thanks!
Lori
MissLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

I'm in my late 50s.

I definitely go to meetings. I tried online once but the accountability of weighing in really, really helps me. Also, going to meetings keeps my head where it should be - focused on weight loww.

I got to lifetime on WW when I was in my 30s. It is harder to lose weight now. My metabolism has slowed some and you lose muscle as you get older.

I find that increasing activity is really key for me in losing weight. I use a Fitbit to measure my activity. When I'm walking a lot, I tend to lose well. If I don't move much, then my weight loss is much less.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Thank you for your reply, Koshka. I have been considering purchasing a Fitbit also, so your answer is pushing me in that direction as well. I'm amazed how easily I've gained weight over the last 2 or 3 years, and how hard it's been to get it off. Ugh...
MissLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #4  

Hi there! I am in the same boat Lori. 45 and, for me, at an all time high. I just can't lose the weight like I use to although if I would slow down with the donuts that would help. I use to be lifetime several years ago but fell off the wagon. I need to do something and so I suspect I will come back. Anything I do will be helpful! Good luck!
Sward45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/190/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Over 45 too!

Hi! I am over 45 and have been somewhat sucessful with Weight Watchers. I agree that accountability with weigh ins is very important. Incorporating excersize into the lifestyle change has helped me to manage. The change in eating habits will help you to lose weight, the incorporation of excercise helps keep you focussed and is generally good for you!

Here's to 2014!

SharShar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

I analyzed my data from when I got my Fitbit in March. I kept track of what I ate through My Fitness Pal. The bottom line is that I don't really burn all that many calories unless I put a lot of effort into being more active. And, if I don't burn a lot of calories then I don't lose a lot of weight. The fitbit at least keeps me honest.

Last edited by Koshka; 01-02-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #7  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I am 51. I've tried WW several times. Sometimes it worked for awhile but never in the long term for me. I am discounting that it does work for some people but I've learned that my weight issues are due to hormonal imbalances. No amount of just calorie restriction or exercise has helped effectively manage that.

Awhile ago, my brother did the Ideal Protein programme and encouraged me to try it. WOW! Am I ever glad that I did!

Between May 17, 2013 and September 15, 2013, I dropped 75 pounds. Since then, the weight has been coming off a lot more slowly. Everytime I carry a 30 lb container of cat litter to the basement, I think 'This is heavy ... can't believe I was lugging around more than 3 of these with me every day!'

I have tried so many kinds of diets, did Weight Watchers a few times... this is the first time ever, ever, ever that:
-I have not struggled with hunger;
-I have all along been thinking about how i will maintain this in the long run and can see the way forward

Weight Watchers is good for someone who is overweight because of plain old overeating. Ideal Protein and diets like it tackle the problem from another angle because it is not tackling the weight so much as to help bring the pancreas back into balance. The pancreas is the organ that produces insulin. If it is overtaxed or not functioning properly, problems like insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome emerge. No manner of calorie counting or exercise can really be effective for long term weight loss if pancreas function is an issue.

I so 'know' the journey of struggling with weight... I feel like I have become an evangelist ... if there is somebody for whom this information might make a difference, I hope they can hear it.

Under the Ideal Protein approach, no exercise is recommended in the first 6 weeks of the programme so that all body energy can focus on adapting to the new way of eating. Also because the initial weight loss starts to happen so fast, it is said to be a huge burden on the body to both be doing the burning and trying to put out energy for exercise.

I am now into month 8 of the programme. I am just shy of a 100 pound weight loss. My exercise regime is walking my terriers for half an hour a day. The weight has been peeling off. In the first few months of the programme, I could literally feel heat in my body as the fat was burning!

Overview:

The diet is one of several variations of what is a low carb/moderate protein diet. The science behind it has been around since at least the beginning of the twentieth century but for a variety of reasons was, until recently, dismissively treated by medical establishment. That's starting to change and a paradigm shift is beginning to happen.

Recently CBC radio replayed a 2 year old broadcast of a Michael Enright interview with Gary Taubes -- an investigative journalist who has been working bringing truth to light. The interview is in the 2nd half of the programme. http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/201...iles---food-1/

Though Taubes does not endorse Ideal Protein (ip) specifically, his broad overview will give your sister a general idea of the big picture in the background of this programme.

The Diet Itself:

It is a moderate and not high protein diet. High protein can cause build up of uric acids in some people. The ip approach avoids that. It has 4 phases. The first is the weight reduction phase where you shed until you get to goal. The remaining three are graduated 're-entry' to long term maintenance.

In the first phase, you have 3 packets of Ideal Protein foods a day. Morning + lunch = an ip food with salad and vegetables. Supper = all your own food. Evening = an ip snack. In the remaining phases, you gradually eliminate the packets of food from ip and eat ordinary food. I personally will never go back to carbs. Because my 'manpanion' is a cattle farmer, my evening meals are often a steak! I get a bit bored with the packets by themselves. If your sister does decide to try the diet and she is interested, I can send her links to loads of recipes that lend themselves to a lot of creativity with the food such that you don't know that you are eating ip food.

The ip food is highly assimilable and bio-available protein. The vegetable selection comes from a specific list of choices all selected because they are low carb and alkaline oriented (avoiding acid build up).

There is no counting of points, calories, carbs or anything like that. You follow the protocols and the counting is done for you. Strenuous exercise is not recommended (the programme works on resting then balancing insulin and pancreatic function. Read things about metabolic syndrome X, and insulin resistance. It will give more of a picture of the science.

Having said that, following the protocols keeps you under 40 g of carbs a day and probably under 1,200 calories a day. It doesn't sound like much but because of the good quality protein + the 'ketosis' that it creates in the body, this programme gives such a high level of satiation. I can honestly say that there are very, very few times that I have experienced hunger or cravings. Generally have felt very satisfied and content from an appetite point of view.

Background reading:

The designer of the diet is a Dr Chanh Tran Tien from France. The diet is about 25 years old, has been in Canada for about 10 years and was originally formulated for atheletes and dancers. Chanh has his book available for free pdf download on his website. Can't say I enjoyed the book all that much.

Other good reading:
Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

I'm 54, and have lost 57 pounds with WW, and maintained it for over 2 years now.

I do meetings. I haven't missed one of those in over 2 years either. It's what keeps me accountable.

The new Simple Start program, is a nice addition to WW, and it really is SIMPLE!

I like the support and helpfulness and suggestions I get at meetings.

As far as the program itself, the beauty is it's incredibly adaptable to just about any lifestyle, health concerns, or personal preference, such as being vegan.

I also work out on a regular basis. Strength training and lots of power walking. I also toss in some rowing or ex bike now and then.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/198/168

Height: 5'9"

I'm 45 and I plan on rejoining WW this week. I gained almost ten pounds this Holiday season and enough is enough. I did WW before and as long as I played by the rules it worked. I tried online before but I think that meetings are better, you just have to find the right one. I'm planning on trying different meetings until hopefully I find The One.
Bilbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

That's what I did when we moved. I tried several meetings till I find a leader and meeting that clicked.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #11  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm nearly 53. My rate of weight loss did slow when I was in my late 40s, but that's because I hadn't been doing anything to maintain or build muscle. Since I started weight training (about 5 years ago), I have put on a lot of muscle as well as bone density. It really helped get my metabolism back up to speed!

As for diet, find the one that you can stick with, the one that meets your needs the most. Having a good support network outside of your family and current friends is very important. That network is there to help you meet your goals. I like to have people to whom I am accountable to throughout my day, whether it is in person or online. Because when I'm not supervised...
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #12  

I am starting tomorrow! I will be 50 at the end of the month and I would like to lose 60 lbs.
photomom23 is offline   Reply With Quote