Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Buyer Beware???

MrsJim

Low Carb Foods - deja vu???
Recently near my town, a "Low Carb Store" opened. I haven't visited them, but apparently they have a wealth of low-carb products - bars, breads, desserts, etc. I'm sure they'll do well...but this whole low-carb products thing takes me back to the 90's - remember during the non-fat/low-fat/Snackwell's craze? I got caught up in that too - eating Fat-Free Fig Newtons without noticing that there was a mere 10 calorie difference between the fat-free version and the regular version cookie, for example.

We all want to eat healthier, but bottom line losing weight comes down to CALORIES...the 'trick' with low-carb for the most part, IMO, is that many overweight/obese folks eat the majority of their excess calories in simple carb stuff like bread, junk food, etc. Cutting out 'white carbs' results for many people in a drop in calories...KWIM?

I just found this on the buyer beware board. Some people are always ready to slam us. They just can't believe we can eat more calories than we did on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, whatever and LOSE weight!!! If it didn't work, why are SO many people joining??? Even McDonalds and Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers now offer lower carb alternatives. Are they jealous, or just hungry???????

Barb
Old 01-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Ugh! So annoying! There was a recent study done that showed that people on Atkins can actually eat MORE calories and still lose more weight than low fat or low cal alone. The report was on CNN.com - I'm sure it's still out there. Maybe I'll go find it and make a reference.

Ok, found an article on the research. I've gone to the buyer beware board and posted my opinion and cited my reference

Last edited by StarPrincess; 01-08-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

My hubby works this guy whose wife was going to do Atkins. She read up on it and changed her mind. Said that Atkins can screw your system up. So of course my hubby said maybe I shouldn't be on this. I looked him right in the eye and told him ALL diets could screw up your system. He then said "well, they said w/Atkins you cut out stuff your body needs". I'm like WHAT have I cut out (Ok, maybe the dairy/milk) that my body needs? Sugar? Flour? Why does my body need that? He had no answer and finally agreed that I was right. lol
Old 01-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #4  
Head Princess

Ok, I've been reading more of what they're saying up there and basically they think this is just another marketing ploy. Bread companies are suffering from sales losses because there's a whole bunch of us who have decided that bread is not a good option for us. I can understand that.

BUT choosing to eat low carb does NOT require you to buy someone's $6.00 loaf of bread. As a matter of fact, I mainly eat unprocessed foods that I make for myself! So there!

And Lady - you're right. There is nothing that our bodies are deprived of and I would argue that my system is the least screwed up that it's ever been! Milk is not a necessity. I get as much calcium from a glass of sugar free soy milk or some steamed spinach as I would from a glass of cow's milk.

So why do people think we're missing out?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #5  
The Princess O' Pets

Simple....they are just jealous!!

I have a friend who was on weight watchers for the pst 2 years, she has just lost more in 6 months than she did on weight watchers in those 2 years.
AND she is not starving....

My own family doctor said that Atkins is the best way to rid your body of stored fat. He recommended it.

I feel better eating like this than I have in YEARS!!! If my body is being deprived you wouldn't know it, I eat better than I have in years too!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:33 PM   #6  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

First off - STAR - Your picture is GORGEOUS!!!!! I cannot believe the changes in your face even from your pic in the beautiful black coat. You just look fantastic!

MrsJim is on the weightlifting thread - she lost her weight using Body For Life which is pretty much a higher lean protein lower fat plan. A lot of the plan is about portion control. But she is very consistent with her weightlifting for sure. She was as heavy as me and now is down to 130's or so. But as you all mentioned many people down't believe in Atkins - but I think whatever works for each individual!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Thanks, Kim!

And I'm totally with you - I don't think there's any one thing that's for everyone. I know what works for me and I love it! Do you hear me bashing weight watchers? No - lots of people have been successful that way. I'm just tired of feeling like I have to defend my choices against rampant ignorance all the time.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

"MrsJim is on the weightlifting thread - she lost her weight using Body For Life which is pretty much a higher lean protein lower fat plan."

Actually her profile page has a link to her website. She lost most of it, 80lbs, on Optifast. But she has done a great job maintaining and getting healthy, exercising regularly. Most sure don't. I hope to also be one who does!
Closed Thread