Old 11-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Worldly Chicks Remembering Melody at Christmas

Okay here it is December.
Due to popular request I have dedicated the thread to Mel. You will forgive me if I don't join in too much with this one, since I don't grieve out loud or in print. My memories are private and deep.

But to set the ball rolling here is a picture that I know Melody used on the thread once or twice and the second picture is one where I hope she is now sitting and enjoying the fragrance and fresh air. Go free my friend.]

To take a sneak peek at November click http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/supp...endship-6.html.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #2  

The weather over the past couple of days has been atrocious. High winds and driving rain and pretty darned cold as well. However late yesterday afternoon, it cleared to a beautiful calm evening. Today has been a bit breezy but at least I didn't get blown into the sea when I went to the markets. I got my fruit and vegetables and some flowers and then wandered along and bought some Prosecco (Italian bubbly). Yesterday I went out to my nieces place and had lunch with her in-laws and my sister plus the niece and nephew. Niece is about to give birth any day now. It's supposedly due 6th of December. M the nephew (IT Geek) has put together a sweepstake for the baby. You pay $5 and select the answers to the questions. My guess is that the baby will be a boy. He will weigh in at 3.5kg (about 7.9lbs), he will be born in the AM (early morning) on the 9th December and he will look most like M but have the same temperament as R. Apparently the winner will be from the date, then the sex, then the weight. Can't tell looks or temperament at birth really. That's just a trick question. The winner takes half of the prizemoney and the other half goes into the babies bank account. A bit of fun.

I was thinking of going to the zoo today, but I am feeling just a bit too lazy and besides which I really should do some housework and I have some soup to make (red pepper and tomato with a bit of basil thrown in. And I need to start looking at other apartments as well. I'll start the list next week. Although I did see a few on the 'net this morning.

There is sirens screaming around the place at the moment. Don't think we are on fire or anything. Never quite know around here.

Michelle, I am sorry to hear that your stepmom is moving you out. But at least you have a place to go. Hope the job hunt will come up with something soon.

Happy - so nice that you had a good break with Mum and that you got to see the family and some friends. I know what you mean about the shopping in major centres. It just is!!!!!! But the advantages to living in the wilderness are great as well.

Laura - good to know you had a good Thanksgiving with the family. Slothing is a vastly underrated pastime. I'd love to do more of it.

Ceejay - don't the family ever come to visit you???? You always seem to be driving up there. Are the tenants behaving themselves with the rubbish now??

Annie - Your poor son. Not a pretty sight that. But at least it isn't as serious as it could be. Guess he will be looking for a new car now. Strange that the airbags didn't deploy. I had heard, like Happy that seat belts sometimes need to be checked and/or changed. I sincerely hope C is okay. Not a good sign but it could just be something quite simple. Fingers crossed anyway.

Susie - hope you are not working too hard. Maybe you are having such a great time with the family that you haven't had time to post. Hope SAP is working properly for you and that your reports are reporting the correct bits and pieces. One I was trying to document the other day wasn't co-operating very well. I think the wrong infocubes were attached somehow. There was a fair amount of swearing going on that's for sure.

Anyway, I will buzz off and make my soup. I might even make the pizza that I bought the bases for as well. Not sure what I will do with the Mountain bread since it is probably out of date now. Maybe I will brush with some flavoured oil and some spice, cut it up and make chips out of it.
Can't waste food. It is too expensive these days.

Last edited by Shad; 11-30-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good evening ladies,

Thank you Shad for setting up the new December thread. I will start with my Mel memory for the day.

Mel first joined us in January 2004. Here’s a snippet from her first post “I guess I should say my name is Mel and am almost retired and looking forward to full retirement. I could use more time for Mel now. I love all these smilies!!! They alone are worth the trip. (And so began the love affair with smilies which became our new punctuation.)

Shad convinced her to join our little international group and in a tip of the hat to her Mel posted “I lost my drive but Shad helped me find it again. I only temporarily misplaced it! You, Lady, have done more for me than anyone knows.”

I remember Mel having a bird which she called her grandson but I didn’t realize she had a whole flock at first. Her humor and her unique way of looking at things is what really drew me to her. “One of my finches died last week. The other 5 didn't even stop eating! he was dead in the nest and they were all eating and taking baths!! So much for birdie love!”
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #4  
Choose your hard

I made it through the first of 2 days volunteering for the Santa photo benefit. Rose quite early on a minimum of sleep and headed out on a cold and crisp day. I did wear 3 shirts - turtleneck, long sleeved and a logo sweatshirt and I'm glad I did because it was very, very cold in the storefront. They said they were having trouble with the heat. I was glad I brought a mug and after 2 cups of tea I just kept heating water and cupped my hands around it to stay warm. Outside of that it was a fun event - we had 2 Irish Wolfhounds come in - talk about BIG animals. One of the ladies said the owners had to have arms like Popeye the Sailor Man to hold those babies in place. But they did get them to sit with Santa. We had several cute dogs and even one cat. It was a nice fund raiser for the Humane Society. The ladies who sponsored the event had trays of goodies - both sweet and savory so we were able to snack a bit. Tomorrow will be a shorter day - 11am to 2pm and then the rest of the time is mine again. I came home and wound up sitting in a hot bath just to warm up.

My sinuses are really bad with the water in the nose feeling. I have the humidifier running constantly with a warm mist. I also got some saline spray which seemed to work for 10 minutes. I don't really want to take an antihistamine which will dry me out even further. I only have the water in the nose aggravation - not stuffed up or having a runny nose.

Shad - what a cute idea your nephew had for the new baby. A chance to have some fun and start a little fund for the wee one. Very clever! So what did you do with the Prosecco? I have seen it on the cooking shows - is it just a sparkling wine? Generally they add it with a juice of sorts. The soup sounded lovely also. I am a big fan of roasted red pepper soup.

Michelle - sorry to hear that you'll be finding a new place but at least you have something in mind. Sounds like step mum was willing to help you get a leg up but then she also had a busy life herself. Will D keep you closer to SF than SD or are you keeping your options open? Sending you good vibes

Annie - I'm sorry to hear about C. Hope his issue is something treatable like a hemmoriod which can be scary at first. Glad he's getting it checked out. Sending good wishes his way too.

It's getting late and I still have to rise early tomorrow so I'm going to call it a day/night.

Sleep well good chicks and I'll touch base tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #5  

Ha, yes I remember. I also talked her through making the font size bigger permanently on her old computer. I think she thought a miracle had happened. Never had to tell her anything twice tho'.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #6  

Morning all,
Not much to report since I posted the above last night. Nothing much happens while I am asleep (that I know about).
I have given my notice at the apartment I am in. I think I said all this yesterday. I found cockroaches and some form of ant in the dishwasher. That was the last straw.

The soup turned out great. I have some for lunch today. It's pretty easy to make, just roast the peppers (many as you like) roast the tomatoes (many as you like).
Saute as much onion as required (I used half a brown onion) and a couple of cloves of garlic in a light splash of good oil or just spray the bottom of the saucepan with oil. Add a touch of salt.
Peel the skins off the tomatoes and peppers and chop roughly. Add to the onions and garlic. Add as much stock (vege or chicken) as you want - less equals thick soup, more equals runny soup. I like mine thick. Simmer for about 10 minutes and blend in the food processor or with a blender stick. Eat. Very few calories there.

Then I had some Mountain bread that needed using up. What's mountain bread? It's that flat bread you use for wraps and things. Very thin and flat. Anyway I sprayed it with Olive Oil - although a flavoured oil would have been good, sprinkled the sheets with a Moroccan spice blend and baked for about 10 mintes. They are crisp and and tangy and better than the packaged chips.

Finally I sliced up an eggplant (Aubergine) and sprinkled it with salt to get some of the water out. Sprinkled those with spice and baked until crisp. They are yummy as long as you don't cook them too long. They need to be just crisp.

So that was my afternoon. Evening was watching a couple of programs on TV. Doing some puzzles on the computer and going to bed to read. My book at the moment is The Paris Architect. It's about an architect in Paris during WW11 who built secret hideyholes in houses and apartments in Paris to hide the Jewish people. How true it is I don't know, but some of it sounds plausible.

Happy - I love the Irish Wolfhounds. They appear so dopey, but give them a target and they will run for miles. A friend who used to live around the corner had two of them. She walked them on a duo frame. Her mother always said that they looked sort of unkempt and dishevelled - a bit like Bob Geldoff. So we nicknamed them Bob and Geldoff.
The Prosecco I DRINK. You can put it with Peach Nectar (and make a Bellini) or you can add it to orange juice (I think that is called a Mimosa) or you can add gelatine to it and make a champagne jelly with grapes set in it, but it is nice just straight up after a hot day in the kitchen or garden. The local store also has a good cider as well, but one thing per week only. Prosecco is this weeks treat.

I am having a push to get some of this weight off. It's my last effort I think. If it doesn't move then I will be around the 180 mark for the rest of my days. It's becoming increasingly harder and harder to get rid of this lard. I don't like it, but short of starving myself (and that probably won't work) I don't know what else to do. I eat well, I walk to work, I don't eat much in the way of junk food, I cook my own stuff and count the calories. I climb stairs and hills and still nothing moves. So for the next month, it is a case of up the exercise, and control the food. Let's just see if something will happen.
Let this be a warning to those of you under the 55 to 60 mark. Once you get to this age, it is progressively harder and harder to lose. It is progressively harder to tone up. It is not a pretty sight with all the lose skin and droopy bits. So my advice to you is to DO IT NOW.

Gotta go. See ya
Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #7  
Choose your hard

My Mel moment for the day...

We all remember how Mel loved to sing. Next to posting graphics I think her next favorite thing was Googling song lyrics.

Bet you didn't know this...

She wrote "Yes my Dad gave me this name and I have been singing ever since! When he worked the late shift, he used to listen to a radio program called MILKMAN'S MATINEE.(1947) It was musical. The announcer had a daughter and named her Melody-something but my Dad liked Melody-Ann better. Long ago the hyphen got lost in the shuffle."
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #8  
Choose your hard

Greetings and salutations,

I finished my stint at the photo fundraiser. We made over $600 so it was a nice turnout. We had a lot of huge dogs - Great Pyrenees, Great Danes, a couple of huge lumbering mixes, a couple of Chihuahuas - one that was dressed in a red salsa dress along with her mixed breed sisters but my favorite was Lucky the cat who had the best looking reindeer sweater I've ever seen. Lucky was a stray the owner found caught in an animal trap - poor lucky lost his leg due to the severity of the injury but was one of the most docile cats I've ever seen. We thought the sweater was cute but when they pulled out the reindeer ears and strapped them on his head with no objection, we all had to gather round and awwwww. I will post a picture later. The people who sponsored the event brought in their 5 dogs at the end and it was literally a scene from the movie "A Christmas Story" when the Bumpus dogs from next door got into the lead character's house. I just sat behind the table and watched the melee. I also had to guard the basket of dog treats on the table next to me. They were all laughing at me but I said this is why I was a cat person. All in all it was a good time and I'm glad I did it.

DH is watching the end of the Bears football game and then we'll figure out someplace to go and eat. I have to type up the list of contact info for the clients to give to the photographer and hope to get that off before DH is ready to leave.

Thanks for the soup recipe Shad - I think I will try that. I will have to add some cream or at least fat free half and half (half cream half milk), otherwise that would be too much acid for my wimpy tummy but it sounds delicious. How wretched to find roaches in the dishwasher of all places. If they are there, they are in the cabinets for sure. Ugh. Hope you find another, more suitable place quickly.

Ok, I'm off to type up my list.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #9  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

I've been spending most of the day working on a project for my step-brother. I also need to finish my online website portfolio so that I can present it tomorrow in an interview. Santa is resting right now. I'm taking him to the vet later. His paw is getting worse not better...he doesn't even put it down now...just hobbles around on 3 legs. Poor little guy.

Shad - I love that idea for the baby sweepstakes. I've worked in some companies where a similar thing is done for expectant parents. I hope you find a better apartment and are able to move into it very soon.

Annie - I really hope C is doing ok. Sending hugs and healing prayers.

Happy - The photo fundraiser sounds like a lot of fun. I'm hoping to find something like that around here for me and Santa. I'd like to include a photo of us in the Christmas cards. I love the big dogs like wolfhounds, pyrenees, danes, newfies. I don't think I could/would own one...as I prefer lap dogs. Of course most of the time those big guys think they're lap dogs and crush you under their 150 lbs body. Thanks for sharing the Mel memories. I know I joined the Worldlies after you'd all been around awhile. I do remember Mel's grandson though and how much she loved the lil guy.

Gotta get back to website work.

Much love to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Shad
I do most of the driving to visit with the relatives. Seeing that they are in their 80's I don't expect them to travel. Ugh on the roaches in the dishwasher. And yes the neighbors are better at putting out their garbage.
Love the picture. I wouldn't mind visiting that place myself. I fully understand about the weight problem. I'm their too.

Happy
Sounds like you had an interesting day at the fund raiser event. $600 dollars is not bad.

Michelle
Poor Santa. Hope it isn't any thing to serious.

------------------------
Yesterday was working in the yard. I mulched most of the leaves with the lawn mower but there was several around the bushes that needed to be raked to the curb and the driveway had almost as much as the front lawn did.
My aunt called last night and told me she really liked the Christmas tree we bought. And that she had it decorated already.
I did relent and go back over there today to go to church. But that's to far to drive for a church service.
My next trip over there will be after Christmas. I'm working on one of my long week ends and of course Christmas Eve and Christmas day is on my day's to work. At least I'll have a bit of rest from driving.
My weight loss stalled due to some medical issues and the only reason I've lost some weight in November is because I've been more diligent in taking my fluid pill. I eat to late at night also due to the 12 hour work day's. Some things I can change though and will.
More later. Need to charge the tablet.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #11  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Cyber Monday/evening.....

Did not take C to the ER. I decided that he had been eating terribly and with a irritated colon that he has and his hernia, it was time to regroup his food choices. It really was not what I was feeding him and it was the junk he eats all day long on his route. He is lactose intolerant and continually eats chocolate, drinks soda, and eats sugary cakes off of his route truck. Now you are going to laugh, but I found him on Saturday at one of his stops and snuck/sneaked up on him. Caught him eating a Reeces PB cup. Well let me tell you I ripped him a new arse. Told him that I had worried myself to death about his issue and was thoroughly hurt that he was not helping himself. He promised to not eat that stuff anymore, and I confiscated 2 snicker bars from him and gave them to Sissy. Well low and behold, the bleeding has stopped and he feels so much better and the bloating is gone. Well duh! That is the first time I had to be rather harsh with him on anything and I think my wicked witch of the west attitude scared the bejeebers out of him. It is also helping me eat better.

My funny memory song of MELLIE is she and I going back and forth singing lines of Gilligan's Island theme song. Or music from the 70s.

SHADDIE...have you found a new place to live yet? Man all the hustle and bustle-ing you do wears me out.

CEEG....sometimes I find yard work refreshing. We had good temps but being a young neighborhood with very young, small trees, we had no leaves to rake. C did one final grass cut last weekend in the back so Sassy wouldn't have to jump and hop around to go potty.

CHELLE...any news on the work front to report? I just know you will hear something this week. Fingers crossed and prayers going up.

HAPPY...good job on the fund raiser. I am very proud of you and impressed with all the volunteering you do. You are a good woman, Ms. Happy. So cute on the salsa dressed chewie hewie and the reindeer cat. Can't wait to see the pixs.

Hellos to LAURA and SUSIE

And a great big HEAVENLY HELLO to our MS. MELLIE.

Have a marvelous MOnday all.

Loves and hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

Do we have a new APT # for Jen yet?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #13  
Annie - Indiana

I found this in one of MELLIE's older posts....

Dashing in the snow to Lapland in a sleigh.......
Sleigh bells ring
are you listening
in the lane
snow is glistening
A beautiful sight
we're happy tonight
walking in a winter wonderland

Gone away is the bluebird
here to stay is a new bird
He sings a love song
as we go along

In the meadow we can build a snowman
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say: Are you married?
we'll say: No man
But you can do the job
when you're in town

Later on
we'll conspire
as we dream by the fire
To face unafraid
the plans that we've made

In the meadow we can build a snowman
and pretend that he's a circus clown
We'll have lots of fun with mister snowman
until the other kids knock him down

When it snows
ain't it thrilling
Though your nose gets a chilling
We'll frolic and play
the Eskimo way

Walking in a winter wonderland
Walking in a winter wonderland
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #14  

Morning all.

Annie – Cool you have a new tablet. What a nice gift. Will you read books with it?? How’s DS? By now he probably looks worse than he feels. How’s C – I hope the blood is not an indicator of anything serious. Ah, just caught up with your latest post and see that it might just be his diet. I have to say if I were around all that junk, I’d have little resistance. But now he has you watching out for him and guilting him into really taking care of himself, so I bet he’ll be more conscious of what he puts in his pie hole. Or else...

Happy – Glad you had a nice visit with family. Yes, it’s a shame we couldn’t get together this time, but maybe next time! Too odd that you have trouble getting a good pork roast up your way! Enjoy this one. I’m tired out just reading about your drive home and your weekend activities! The photos with Santa sounds like a nice event. I just love the extra big dogs, especially the Irish Wolfhounds – that commercial on tv with the military gal and her IW is a favorite. Too funny about the 5 dog melee and you guarding the treats! – I just love that scene from A Christmas Story!!! Glad to hear the cats did well on their own.

Shad – Glad the tests came out alright. Seems like a lot to go home for, but it wouldn’t have been good to put it off, and this assignment isn’t a short one. Thanks for starting the new thread for us. Very fitting title. I’d saved a bunch of Mel’s graphics to dropbox, but when I tried to post one here, I was having trouble resizing them small enough to attach. Maybe you (or Michelle or Happy) can insert some of those directly into the post throughout the month? I’ve never set up a shutterfly account or learned to insert the photos into the body of the posts. I used to love seeing the graphics Mel would post. Re the baby prize pool – great idea. Not long now!! Your soup sounds delish. I think I agree with you about not wanting to starve myself to lose weight. I was talking about my final ww goal with bf last week and while I lean towards the top of the ww healthy range for my height/age as my goal, bf is thinking I should try for something lower. I think lower would be nice, but I honestly don’t want to have to struggle much more than I do for the rest of my life to maintain. I might strive for what my drivers’ license actually says, but beyond that…dunno. I don’t think there’s any ww rule that would prevent me from continuing to lose weight even after I were to achieve a reasonable goal and lifetime status.

Ceejay – Nice of you to help with the aunt’s holiday decorations. I don’t know why, but this year it seems I’m noticing how early the decorations are going up everywhere. I enjoy seeing them. As for our own…I’m not too thrilled to wrestle our giant artificial tree out of the attic, but after it’s set in the stand, plugged in and fingers crossed that all the lights will light, I’m fine with decorating it. I didn’t do any exercising the entire week, Monday through Saturday.:blush: I have, however, done all the daily dogwalks from Wednesday onward. Gives bf a break and me some exercise. Yesterday I went to the gym for a yoga class. Good instructor and I enjoyed it. It’s a nice thing to do for myself on a Sunday and not too strenuous. Mmmm, cornbread. Funny how some foods taste much better in our memories, LOL. Good for you getting the leaves raked//mulched. Our tree in the back still has a ton of leaves, but enough have fallen to require some raking. It’s a nice day today, I might do that in lieu of an exercise class. Just have to remember to use my inhaler and maybe wear a mask…

Michelle – I hope your moving out is on an amicable basis with your stepmom. It was nice of her to have you and Santa stay for all these months. Not the best timing given your job situation, but you’ll be back at it in no time, and I’m glad you won’t be out on the street! Lucky you, moving in with a cook!! I must have missed you mentioning Santa’s paw – I sure hope it’s nothing serious. Coal was hobbling on his walks for a couple days this week, but was just fine yesterday. I think he must have pulled something in a paw when he scrambles around like a nut when he hears the mailman at the door.

Hi Susie!!! Hope you had a fabulous TG holiday!!
--
Nothing much to report. Why do I always type that?? Saturday was shopping for the bday gift, then my hair appointment. Touch up, cut and actually had an excust to have her style it - the party. It looked nice, wish I could do that myself. Saturday evening’s party was fun. So good to see a couple friends from HS that I haven’t seen in way too long. So the honoree was the first of our group to turn 50. Another friend’s milestone is in January. Oh boy, hard to believe. But it’s just a number…

Yesterday was mostly lazy. In the morning, I watched the end of a dvd - I watched the first part w bf when I got home Saturday night. Then a bit of tv and reading. Went to an 11 am yoga class, showered, puttered, walked the dog. Early dinner with bf and back home for more loafing. Pinned up the hem of a pair of his nylon sport pants. He had them hemmed by the dry cleaners but they’re still too long.

So I took a vacation day today and have no real plans. I will renew my Art Institute membership (it expired 10/31) today since they are offering a cyber Monday 20% off special. Other than that, nothing on the agenda except maybe a visit to the thrift shop, raking leaves, a dog walk, reading…It’s already nearly 10:30 so it’s already flying by. Typical.

TTFN.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #15  

Just a quick one.

I had a note back from Jenn last night. She did mention the new number of the apartment but she won't be in it until January. I can't remember what it was and I will get back to you with it tonight.