Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #1  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone made the switch from lo-carb/keto into calorie counting?

Hey you guys. I've been slacking, and knew once I came back to the boards I would clear my mindframe and get back on it. I was so close to Onderland at 201 AND THEN well, life happened. I lost my job and the holidays came, and then I just ate my feelings. Sure, they are excuses and not good ones but I'm back here knowing I didn't want to go out of control.

I ended up back at 219 with water weight alone! I think I'm not even 209, which is what I was this morning because I am still so bloated and watery from holiday feasting. However, I did not like this water expansion and I know it was from the bounce back to eating carbs.

Now, I'm thinking of going back to calorie counting. I have been in keto from April up until the middle of November so I think I'm just exhausted from keto/low carb life. Has anyone made the switch to calorie counting and been successful? Which is better? I know everyone has their own thing, and I still will limit my carb intakes, of course. I just don't want to be all water all the time like I have been recently.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sorry sweetie, I went the other direction out of necessity and it has been excellent. I still track food, but ketogenic eating was the missing component that made it possible for me to lose my weight and maintain without misery and daily struggle. Beyond a certain point calorie counting just wasn't working by itself, and dealing with life and pregnancy and health concerns low carb, whole foods eating is the only thing that has allowed me to do as well as I have. I'd either still be stuck at 190 or have regained a significant chunk of weight, were it not for low carb and tracking my food.

I do hope you find what works for you, but I have found nothing with better science or ease of adherence (long term) than low carb. It's delicious, comfortable, and very forgiving to overeating on-plan foods. I need all those things, but your own needs may vary

I chose to eat off plan foods for Christmas and yes, have some bloating. But nothing will get that back off faster than going back on plan. I've been on since last night and even now, about 20 hours later, I'm already feeling better and losing bloat. Nothing else for it, reducing carbs again manages those fluctuations beautifully.

If it makes you feel better, the smaller you get the smaller those water swings tend to be. Now I only bloat 5-7 pounds from two days of junk, not 10-12

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 12-26-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #3  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

I know low carb so well. It is something that I can calculate, and deal with in my sleep.

I started my journey calorie counting and did well, but honestly, I have done better with low carb in terms of weight loss. I lost my first 60 from calorie counting, but the rest of the 150 (ish, since I'm all waterlogged) from low carb.

I might just have to re-program my mind again, and focus on coming here to give me that push. Every time I stop coming here, I fall off the wagon. I guess like minded people really help.

And sigh, you're right. You are so right about how low carb usually helps with my crazy bloatness. Stop being right!
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

i switched from low carb to calorie counting quite awhile ago and have still been successful....i was just mentally exhausted from constantly avoiding foods plus the things that are lower carb like meat, dairy and eggs are all things that i can't stand (in fact i really think i'm lactose-intolerant or at least sensitive) and i hated having a mental battle in my head over whether i could have OATMEAL for heavens sake LOL or a piece of fruit....a lot of the time on low carb i simply didn't eat because i didn't like most of the lower carb choices and couldn't stomach the sight of another egg

i do better on a low sugar, low wheat plan of eating instead and i always, always count my calories too...i also exercise hard and nearly daily...i naturally avoid milk also simply because it hurts my stomach

i do think low carb is an excellent way of eating....but for me personally i just wore out mentally from it....and switching didn't derail my weight loss like i thought it might
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #5  

I've started incorporating carbs like whole wheat bread and oatmeal because they were past binge triggers (rather than cookies/cake...I'm strange) and I wanted to see if they still triggered me. So far, things seem surprisingly OK and its still all calorie in/calorie out. These carbs fill me up less than lets say, fibrous veggies, so its easier for me to eat more, but as long as I meet my calorie goals, I still lose as regularly as I do on lower carb.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

I don't see the two being exclusive. Calorie counting, for me, is like the bottleneck of the whole dieting system; the lowest common denominator.

I try to pay attention to the macronutrients (though that doesn't directly translate to low carb), timing of the meal and even the micronutrients, but if I fail to do all that, I'll just look into the total calories for the day and try to stay at or below the calories needed to maintain my current weight.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyBunny View Post
I don't see the two being exclusive. Calorie counting, for me, is like the bottleneck of the whole dieting system; the lowest common denominator.

I try to pay attention to the macronutrients (though that doesn't directly translate to low carb), timing of the meal and even the micronutrients, but if I fail to do all that, I'll just look into the total calories for the day and try to stay at or below the calories needed to maintain my current weight.
Nice!!
Reminds me of the statement "necessary vs. sufficient"
What is necessary? Making sure that as a whole, the calories are low enough to lose weight.
What is sufficient/good enough to achieve these goals? Low-carb diets, calorie counting, intuitive eating, or some combo etcetcetc (basically whatever the individual needs to do to achieve goals)
I try to achieve the "necessary" using my "sufficient" way that others may not find "sufficient"!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I kinda want to encourage you to stay with low carb also. Ignore me if you can't stand to hear it... but it is so good for you!

I'm wondering, though, if you're eating high fat. Focusing more on eating high fat has really helped me stay on track. I think it is easier to focus on eating more of something rather than eating less of something.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I kind of fell into calorie counting by using myfitnesspal on my phone. We keep carbs in mind, pretty much have gotten away from bread and pasta, love my oatmeal...I've been trying to eat a more plant based diet and thanks to IanG protein from fish/seafood rather than meats, but still eat meat here and there.

I love the whole foods not processed aspect of low carb.

I agree with those above who say you can do both, even multiple plans, that's what I do, I keep trying things and keep what works for me.

I have been having more success lately with the MFP app. I think it goes back to one of the cornerstones of WW, keeping track of what you're eating.

Best of luck to you
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

You'll do well with the fish kelijpa!

It's the single most transformational change I have made to my diet.

Shame I got to it a little late. But I am enjoying the benefits of it now.

And....oats....yeah baby! Keeps you fuller longer. And all the other nutritional benefits.

Quote:
I agree with those above who say you can do both, even multiple plans, that's what I do, I keep trying things and keep what works for me.
Read it. That's multi-million dollar diet advice right there. Not in a book. Not with a coach. In a frickin' sentence.

Kelijpa rocks!

Last edited by IanG; 12-31-2013 at 10:13 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #11  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Thanks Ian!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In 40+ years of dieting, I've switched back and forth countless times between plans. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not so much.

In the process I've learned that I'm hungrier on high carb, even if I'm eating 3000 calories or more and that low carb allows me to eat about 300 calories more to lose the same amount of weight as with high carb.

I'm also a compulsive eater, and can (and have) stalled on low-carb from consuming too many (fat and protein) calories.

Another thing to keep in mind when transitioning from or to low-carb is that low-carb has a diuretic effect because the body needs more water to digest carbs. This just means that you will see a rapid gain or loss of a few pounds as you transition, but the gain/loss is only that little bit of water difference.

When I was younger, I lost about as well on higher carb as lower carb if I didn't count the weight loss or gain during the first week or so of transitioning.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

I actually went a step further.

I started with low (no) carb, then went to cal counting but still keeping my carbs to medium, then to no cal counting at all, just generally watching what I eat.

It was quite liberating not having to think about calories all the time. I've maintained at my first GW for some time this way and am now focusing on a new GW for the new year.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote