View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
SparklyBunny

Height: 5'8"

Thank you for contributing!

@Wannabeskinny:

Quote:
When it's meal time she picks the smallest plate in the cupboard, basically a saucer lol and disdains meat, fried food, and anything with too much butter or fat. The rest of the day though she's constantly nibbling on food... usually wheat based food. A slice of bread with cheese, crackers, a muffin, a cookie, a handful of nuts. Maybe she thinks these little snacks don't count, but they really do add up and she can't understand why she's not losing weight.
Oh, yes. That's exactly what I've noticed as well and it's rather frustrating. Especially when I'm being criticized for eating a large meal. They just don't understand that that meal will keep me satiated for a very long time and I don't have to snack. My mother is also like that and she just told me yesterday that she would like to lose some weight. She did that with Weight Watchers many, many, many years ago. I told her that there are free web services these days that she could use to write down everything she eats and the service would then tell her how she's doing. "I'm not going to write down anything". Well, OK then… Though she wasn't one of the two people I was talking about in this thread, she's also one of those who'd rather not face the reality of anything that feels bad or is inconvenient.

You're right that I should just not get involved, because I'll just end up taking it too seriously and none of them are willing to do the same.

@gardenerjoy:

Thanks for the book recommendation. I don't think I'll be able to convince my friends and family to read that book though, especially if it hasn't been published in Finnish... Part of the problem is that they all think that they aren't overeating and that they eat healthy foods. I could of course use a book to smack them in the head to snap back to reality! :-) I kid, I kid...

By the way, for anyone with codependent tendencies, I'd recommend the books by Susan Anderson. Her concept "Outer Child" was incredibly helpful for me to distinguish the parts of me that got out of control (be it with eating, drinking, relationships, or anything that can be messed up…). After I was able to compartmentalize this part of me, I could have conversations with myself as an adult. That's actually what helped me to stop eating too much. Unless I'm actually physically ravenous (and that doesn't happen when I eat properly), I need no willpower to say "no" to foods. There's no inner struggle, because after a few sessions of soothing my childish brain, I don't even get triggered anymore. I know that I don't need it, so I can skip it. That said, if I want to indulge, I can, but it's still a conscious decision and not me being out of control.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention her books, because she's done some great work, but isn't as popular as many other similar authors.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote