Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default So my Dad Just called me fat....

So my family is all together for Christmas.... But I've gained a few lbs since I've seen my Dad.... And he sort of joked about where we should go shopping.... Sort of implying that maybe we should go to Nordstrom's since I might have "better luck" finding my size there... I just sort of laughed..... But I think he may be right..... Although, now I'm a little bit annoyed.... and I think I'm gonna drag him to Sak's and maybe even Bergdorf's and see if I can fit into something a bit more swanky and posh.... So I look good for New Year's Eve... I know I shouldn't care ..... But I guess my Dad can still push my buttons.....

Last edited by TripSwitch; 12-23-2013 at 03:30 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #2  

Everyone is different, what some find harmless, others may find offensive.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

In the interest of being Supportive, my dad sent Sensa to my house!! I was devastated until my sister called up and says that he sent her some too. He's giving Sensa to everyone!! ~ So don't let it get to you!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Gah. That would make me crazy, sorry he did that. At 160 and 5'9 you really shouldn't have any problem finding something to wear at Saks or anywhere else! And I bet you'll look great it in at as well!

Also, must say CONGRATS on being an Ironman finisher, hardcore. That's an awesome accomplishment!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

If your stats are correct there is something seriously wrong with his perspective. It is a shame when family members play these mind games.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

My wife has called me fat before. Actually, she called me a fat whale. That hurt.

But at 5'9" and 160 pounds, you ain't fat. You're in good shape.

Last edited by IanG; 12-24-2013 at 05:35 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
[...] It is a shame when family members play these mind games.
Absolutely.

I'm a high school teacher and the way most parents speak to our students is appalling. The stupid / horrible things I hear them say to their own kids, it's unbelievable! It's a wonder those kids don't turn into psychos.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #8  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

It sounds like your dad is aware of the fact he can push your buttons and is enjoying doing so. Family members can be mean when they think they are "teasing." My mother does the same sort of thing. She'll start with a compliment and end by focusing on a flaw and then really harp on it. It took me a lot of years to realize that she gets stabs of jealousy when I get more attention than she does.

Try to take it in stride. According to your stats, you're healthy and athletic and you have every reason to be proud of your hard work and accomplishments.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Thank you all for being so supportive...... That's what I love so much about 3fc .... I can always count on everyone here for offering truly helpful and meanful advice.... With some perspective ..... That is so helpful ......
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #10  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Sadly, those stores that you mentioned, Saks and Bergdorf Goodman, cater to size 2 lollipops, maybe even size 0. If you are over a size 4 they think you are in the plus sizes. Nordstroms has lots of nice clothes. If he didn't actually come out and say "you're fat" maybe he was trying to be helpful.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #11  

If that were all my dad said to me, I would have a big huge smile.

If the buttons were not there to be pushed, they could not be pushed.

My dad dug for buttons and I did my best to not let him find any.

At 46 years old, he said "You don't even know how to tie your shoes right, you pull on just one shoe string." He was referring to the time when I was just a little kid, still in kindergarten, when I had not been tieing my own shoes for long. I was taught to pull tie them right, but I wondered what would happen if I just pulled on the top of the string and tried it. Dad saw me and really jumped me about being stupid and not knowing how to tie my shoes right. That, when I was just a little kid in kindergarten and being told this again at 46 years old. I said dad with a smile, "You are really hard up to find something wrong with me to bring that up."

Well, ya know what? I am now 73 years old, and I sure would like to have him back, trying to push my buttons and all. Enjoy the good parts of him and let such a minor thing be, not worth mentioning in the total scope of things.

And happy new years to all of ya

B F R
Big Fat Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fat Rooster View Post

Well, ya know what? I am now 73 years old, and I sure would like to have him back, trying to push my buttons and all. Enjoy the good parts of him and let such a minor thing be, not worth mentioning in the total scope of things.

And happy new years to all of ya

B F R
Thank you for this reminder. It brought a smile to my face.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote