Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

Default Fiber confusion

Everything I have read on fiber states emphatically that it doesn't affect blood sugar. I have been on a strict under 20 grams per day eating plan for 4 months. Those carbs consist of broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. I wanted to experiment with adding more fiber and variety into my diet, so I tried flax meal in the form of minute bread (flax meal, egg and baking powder) and shirataki noodles. I tried different days eating one or the other and both times it knocked me out of ketosis and I gained presumably water weight. I didn't eat anything else those days that was different than my normal plan and did exchange the vegie carbs for the fiber. Not wanting to take the first reactions as truth, I tried a couple more different days of adding in flax or the noodles and had the same reaction.
If fiber is not supposed to affect blood sugar, am I abnormal in this reaction or am I missing something? Have I made myself even more carb sensitive than I was before?
Catgoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Fiber doesn't affect blood sugar, and it passes through the body with little effect, but it does have an effect, it can soak up water, therefore it can cause you to retain water. That will cause a gain on the scale.

What makes you think it knocked you out of ketosis? If you are using ketostix, being properly hydrated can deminish the sticks reading of the ketone in the urine, the extra water dilutes it out so it is harder to read. Also, after you have been in ketosis for awhile your body is using the ketones so you are not peeing them out in large enough proportions to register on the sticks.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

I have been losing steady since starting low carb Aug 26th. Consistently about 1/4 of a pound per day or two. Showing in keto except after eating flax. Last week I ate a piece of minute flax bread every day. I have not lost any weight the whole week and have not showed in keto. This is the first week that no weight loss has occurred since starting. It is hard to not think it is the flax. Maybe I just can't eat over a certain amount of carbs at one meal? The piece of flax bread is about 12 grams of carb/fiber, more than half my days allotment. Usually the carbs per meal that I have is about 6, all veggie carbs.
Catgoyle is offline   Reply With Quote