Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #1  

Default No breakfast: has anyone else tried this?

I've already told about my new diet (no breakfast, that's it!) and the amazing results I got - lost 5 kgs (10 lbs) in a month.

I am 37 y.o., 1,74m tall and I now weigh 71 kgs. I am only 2 kgs away from my ultimate goal and even my students have commented how slim I look.

Moreover I am able to eat anything for the rest of the day (incl. junk food, sweets), as long as I don't eat anything before noon.

It sounds crazy and too good to be true but it is true.

I did a Google search on this and I did find a couple of similar cases but not many. One author wrote about this and added cold showers in the morning (to boost metabolism, I believe) but I'll stick to skipping breakfast.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
I did a Google search on this and I did find a couple of similar cases but not many. One author wrote about this and added cold showers in the morning (to boost metabolism, I believe) but I'll stick to skipping breakfast.
Google "intermittent fasting" or "leangains" and you'll find plenty more :-)

Granted, Leangains also has fasted training added plus specific eating patterns (high carb, low fat on training days and low carb, higher fat on rest days) and intermittent fasting can be done in several different ways. The easiest is still just to skip breakfast.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #3  
diamondgeog

If it works....then awesome. I am hearing more and more about 'intermittent' fasting. I am going to look into that. More for health reasons than weight loss per se.

Skipping breakfast on a regular basis would not work for me though.

I have low carb small breakfasts. Not only good for my particular metabolism but essential for my morning brain function and not overeating at lunch.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 12-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #4  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 294/195/165

Height: 5'4.5

I don't do breakfast either. I only do strong coffee and water to rinse the liver kinda thing. If I eat breakfast I get tired again inside of the hour. And my stomach bloats. I do eat smart choices though because I muscle train. The weight doesn't melt as fast having to take in protein and carbs but I don't want to risk a "flubby" body
Diamondonalandmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Anything that reduces your calories will result in weight loss. If you are eating 500-600 calorie breakfast then that is a good calorie reduction.

I would focus still on eating fairly healthfully the rest of the day rather than thinking you can eat junk because you can out eat your calorie savings.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

I skip breakfast 2 time or more a week. I do regular intermittent fasting (eating only during certain times) and I add lower calorie fasts (5:2). It works. It helps me get more sleep (not getting up early for breakfast!). And it decreases the stress of finding enough low calorie food to last 15+ hour day. But I also skip dinner (I work nights). I only have a 8 hour eating window.

Last edited by Daimere; 12-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I know plenty of heavy people who don't eat breakfast, but it is nice that your strategy is working for you! Congrats on your loss!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

I've never been able to do IF no matter how many times I try it. The times I get hungry simply vary too much from one day to the next.

I would also love to be able to skip breakfast and bank my calories for lunch and dinner but hunger pangs early/mid-morning drive me nuts!
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #9  

My husband recently lost 20 pounds by skipping breakfast and doing lower carb. He allows himself to eat a bit more carbs for dinner after he works out - 3 or 4 times a week. It's certainly working for him!
kickasscancerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I don't eat breakfast. For some reason I'm hungry and wanting to eat all day long if I eat before 1-3 in the afternoon. Normally, I just eat between 3-8. I guess I'm doing IF and didn't even realize it lol.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Improve the rest of your diet and you will turbo charge your results and your health too. That's what I did as the next step (I skip dinner).

Incremental small steps add up to big changes.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Lots of people do that, including my mother. I used to do that when I woke up three hours later, but now I find I am hungry by 10 am and will get ravenous if I wait longer. So I've been eating my calories early - from 7 am to 5 pm, and just don't eat after that if in on plan. Big breakfast and lunch, light snack for dinner, works like a charm for me.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have a 12 hour window for eating which includes a small breakfast like a boiled egg. It works for me.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #14  

I would love to skip breakfast regularly. I tend to do fine if I don't eat until 11:00. I like the fact that I can eat more heartily at lunch and dinner. However, my husband loves going out for breakfast, and I don't want to be a killjoy, so I eat it. But he skips lunch and has for years. I am trying to do that, but skipping lunch is MUCH more difficult for me than skipping breakfast. I guess the point is that if you can skip a meal with no problem, I think it's a good way of saving calories.

I say if it works for you, do it.

Last edited by lin43; 12-23-2013 at 04:08 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #15  

Height: 5'0"

I almost always skip breakfast as a conscious act of IFing. Coupled with a paleo diet, it gets me very lean. Right now I am not too focused on my food choices, so I am just maintaining.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote