Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #1  

Question Does anyone know how to alter jeans ?

I live in jeans and have some really nice ones that are now too big. Does anyone have any tips on how to alter them so I can still wear them? The fit does not have to be perfect as I would wear them only around the house and yard.

My sewing skills are medium. I just have no idea on where to start with denim as it seems a tad heavy.

In my area, tailoring is very expensive so I would like to do what I can myself.

I know many of you are very creative and hope you have some ideas.

Thanks,
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Sewing jeans is hard because, as you said, they're very heavy. Where are they too big? Can you wear a belt with them?

If they're too big around the waist for a belt, I'd suggest pinching the sides of the waistband and putting stitches in on the sides. Does that make sense? It won't be 'pretty' but it'll help with keeping them up for around the house/yard.

The only blogs I found about it all want you to rip seams and remove stitches, and I'm not sure if that's outside of your comfort zone or not.
If you're feeling daring and want to go for it, this tutorial has lots of pictures and (I think) explains things in an easy-to-understand way.
http://freshly-picked.com/taking-in-...seam-tutorial/
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I hear you on this because I have many clothing items that got too big on me and many which I really liked but were hardly worn. It depends on where they are loose, as quiet ballerina said. The first thing that I do is try to wash them on super hot water and then throw them in a laundromat hot dryer (they seem to be the hottest). If the jeans are 100% cotton they will shrink some although expect them to shrink in length too which may or may not be a problem for you.

Then, if you still want them tighter I would do a simple seam and take them in on the inseam. If you don't like a tight crotch then I would stop the inseam about 3" from the crotch on either side. So, again you would start at the hem and go up, stopping where you feel you still want some room. What professionals do is turn the garment inside out, pin it with straight pins then try it on. Then, you see how it fits. I would also sit down and also crouch down to see how you like that kind of fit.

If you are only wearing them around the house and in the yard, have you considered leggings? I wear these around the house all the time. Many have some spandex in them, which you may or may not like, and I see that they now offer fleece lined ones for the winter; which I would like to get one pair of those. If you are concerned about a lower tummy, you can always wear a longer top to cover that.

Good luck! Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 11-30-2013 at 12:59 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I sew. If you will elaborate on where the issues are, I can help you out!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote