General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1  

Default Oh so a cupcake is healthier than a candy cane...?

This is my status update a little while ago, names omitted:

Little *** just told me he was not allowed to eat his snack yesterday because I sent him with a candy cane...He told me his teacher told him they are not allowed to have candy at school...usually I send him a banana, goldfish, popcorn...and its not a healthy snack thing because he tells me that other kids bring cupcakes, cookies, chips and other junk...Its not like he's going to starve without a snack, its just annoying, that's all...

This is a response from someone:

***, I do know ****'s teacher is not a fan of candy and they try not allow in school, except on special occasions. The reason being, which I tend to agree with, especially being a former teacher, is bc they r in school a long day and they need healthy foods to keep going and have energy. Junk foods are frowned upon bc they hype them up really wild and their focus isn't there, and then they crash a little while later.

They had healthy snacks at [school] too last year, and this yr his teacher makes Wed designed for healthy snacks only.

This is my reply:

yeah, I agree too..so the other kids should not be bringing in cookies. cupcakes and chips...anyone that thinks sending your kid in with a cupcake is "healthier" than a candy cane needs to do some reading on nutrition. Both should be unallowed.

And she never responded...

GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

A cupcake is more likely to fill someone up and stave off hunger for a longer period of time. So while a candy cane only has 60 calories and the average cupcake has 300 calories, the candy cane will not make any sort of hunger go away. Also, a candy cane is pure sugar and absolutely no nutritional value, you could argue that a homemade cupcake has eggs, milk, etc.

Now, that being said, I really don't see the big deal. I mean it's the holidays people need to get over themselves and if they want to have policy of healthy snacks then you're right there should be an across the board policy not picking and choosing.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

At our school they stress no candy because candy isn't filling. Sweet baked goods and chips at least have some bulk. I am usually the room parent and every year the teacher has requested a box of granola bars for the kids who bring candy instead of food.

Also, I don't know how old your child is but mine hears "you need to bring something else for snack from now on" as "do not eat the candy cane" because she is a BORN rule-follower and finding out candy is "frowned upon" would mean NO CANDY EVER as far as she's concerned.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #4  

The rule is silly because it is picking and choosing to example health but a lot of unhealthy items are allowed...as for filling them up, I hate to admit this but I & my husband dont get why they even have snack. Growing up we had lunch time and that was it until we got home from school. At home we have lunch and thats it until dinner NORMALLY, lately there have been way too many bake goods thanks to me and holiday cookies...but generally throughout the year we don't do snacks between lunch and dinner, unless the kids ask. DH grew up like that too, 3 meals, thats it. And the occasional snack if say lunch was early that day...so the its not filling thing doesn't fly with me, sorry. They can eat when they get home from school like we all did if we were hungry.

edited to add that they did not let him eat his snack, and I'm pretty sure a candy cane is more filling than nothing...so that was not their concern.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 12-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

My first thought was cause as kids we used to sharpen the candy canes and poke each other with them!
Choking hazard? it might be about other reasons vs just the nutrition perspective.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Ballerina View Post
My first thought was cause as kids we used to sharpen the candy canes and poke each other with them!
Choking hazard? it might be about other reasons vs just the nutrition perspective.
I am so glad that I am not the only person that finds candy canes become dangerous when being eaten!