General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/146/135

Height: 5'8.5''

Default Attempting to eat clean..is peanut butter allowed?

I have decided I would like to try to eat clean or at least cleaner. I was wondering, is store-bought peanut butter considered a "clean food"?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by truehappiness; 12-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.
truehappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #2  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

I eat the serving size of natural peanut butter and I believe it to be fine. It has good fats but if you eat too much it is heavy so I only do the 2 tablespoons.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

There is no real definition as to what 'clean eating' is. For me, I'd say if you can read the ingredients on the label, the food is probably clean! If you still want to eat peanut butter and are trying to eat clean, I'd definitely say peanut butter is fine as long as it's a natural kind.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #4  
Frugal Dieter

S/C/G: 190/150/135

Height: 5'4"

That depends on your definition of "clean food."

2 tablespoons of Jif peanut butter, for example, contains:
16g of fat (2.5% is saturated fat)
7g of protein
7g of carbs
2g of sugar

In a previous post last week you said "I'm going to try cutting out sugar and junk." So if you want to cut out sugar, you might want to stay with the all-natural peanut butter. If you go with an all-natural (just peanuts) peanut butter, you won't have the sugar, but all the other nutritional info is about the same. Oil sometimes settles at the top of all natural peanut butter and you may need to stir it. In general peanut butter is a good source for monounsaturated fats.
Tilly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yes, the calories will be the same whether you buy natural peanut butter or the sugar filled stuff. I don't know if I've ever had the sugar filled stuff because when I was a child (I'm nearly 40 now), my mom always used to buy the stuff ground in the store and then I just kept buying the stuff that is just peanuts or peanuts + salt.

And yeah, I have no idea what people mean when they say they 'eat clean' because it seems to have morphed from when I first heard it 20 years ago. Every diet book seems to use 'eat clean' as their way of eating these days.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 325 / 321 / 180

Height: 5' 6"

Love me some peanut butter, use to eat it ( lots) every day but now down to 1 tblspoon couple times a week, dont really miss it... Thought I would .
notmymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/190/?

Look at the ingredients- if the only ingredient is peanuts and you have to keep it in the fridge, then it is clean.

But, forget peanut butter, try the all natural almond butter. It takes about a week to get used to, but now I find it so much more delicious. It is rich, creamy and flavorful.
Missy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I love peanut butter. Especially the crunchy stuff!

I rarely eat it these days, but it's not a food I've totally crossed off.

I save my fave for a few special days a year, enjoy it, and move on.

Peanut butter is not bad, in small doses.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote