Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:37 AM   #16  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Welcome!

Welcome Dana Glad you happened upon our little thread. It waxes and wanes at times but I'm happy we're still around. I haven't had the experience of gaining weight while stepping up the exercise, but I have had a "stall" in my weight if I exercise a lot and eat too little. I know how the 3 steps forward and two steps back in weight loss can be so frustrating. I'm not a doctor or fitness expert but I have many years of "dieting" under my belt. You may be experiencing either one of two things:

1) You're either not eating enough calories and/or not hydrating yourself enough for the amount of exercise you're doing and thus, your body is holding on to what you do eat (starvation mode) OR

2) You're eating more calories than you're expending through exercise.

I know that when I first started walking the weight came off pretty easily when I really watched what I ate. There were weeks when I wouldn't lose anything at all but my motivation was still there. I kept at it and the next week there would be a good loss. But if I had a defeated mindset and saw no movement on the scale, I'd revert back to my old way of eating and although I'd be walking, I'd still be gaining weight because I was eating more or making poor choices. My advice to you would be to really examine what it is you eat on a daily basis. Keep a food journal and be totally honest. Sometimes knowing you have to write it down will keep you from eating it. Your body also needs a certain # of cals just to function. If you dip below that #, your metabolism may slow down and stall the weight loss. If you keep it at a consistent level, eventually it'll get the message that there's more fuel coming and the pounds will come off.

33 minutes a day of walking at 1.5 mph is a great pace. My doc has said anything after 20 minutes at a moderate pace is the fat burning time. The exercise does add up over the week. Another thing I find really helpful is increasing my water intake. One formula for the amount of water needed per day is to take your body weight and divide it in half to get the # of ounces you should be drinking i.e. A 200 lb person would require 100 oz of water per day. I've been following that forumla for the past month and on the days I don't get all the water in, my losses are a lot smaller for the week. The weeks that I get all my water in are the weeks I have the biggest losses. Sorry to be soooo long winded but that's my 2 cents. Hope some of this helps.

Faye, how's Jack doing today? How are YOU doing today? We're here to listen if you need us.

Hello to Cristi, Janine, Kristen and everyone else. Keep walking!

I just started packing for my trip tonight and am getting more excited by the minute. I'll be leaving on Saturday morning and I have tons of loose ends to tie up before then--I'm starting to feel like this just thinking about doing everything. On the bright side, I'll be on vacation and soon. Have a good night ladies!

Countdown to Bangkok: 3 days
Old 11-06-2003, 09:09 AM   #17  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Good Morning Ladies~

Noelle, no you can't go! We are going to miss you! But at the same time I hope you have a WONDERFUL time, which I know you will. I forgot, how long are you going to be gone?

Hi Dana and WELCOME! Well, I don't think there is much to say here as I belive Noelle has said it all. I haven't gained weight from walking. It is when I get frustrated and don't get any walking in and making bad food choices that I will see a gain, and at TOM. I know there have been a few times where I didn't do anything. For almost a month straight I was walking my bootie off (I wish!) and doing other exercise, eating right and drinking the water and I was stalled big time. Not an ounce lost or gained! this actually happened twice.

Faye, how are you holding up lady? Hope to hear some news soon. Hope you and Jack are doing better. Take care of yourself.

Hi to the rest of you ladies, Janine, Jenifer & Kristen.

Before I forget ladies, do you remember Lynne? I know you do. Well, I have seen her posting on the Buddy Thread and I thought I would PM her. I told her it was nice to see her and loved the new avatar and we miss her on the walking thread. She said she would drop by and say Hi sometime but for now wanted me to say Hi to everyone. So, HI from Lynne ladies If you guys have a minute, you should check it out. I can't remember the thread, maybe I will go see what it is, but she has a new picture for her avartar and she is looking FABULOUS! Okay,the name of her thread is LOSING WEIGHT AND ENJOYING LIFE #1.

Well, I have a busy day today ladies and since I will be at the mall I am going to do a walk there where it is nice and warm. Didn't get a walk in yesterday, or any tyoe of exercise but I definitely will today! Have a GREAT day ladies!

Last edited by FrouFrou; 11-06-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:55 AM   #18  

Hey ladies! Sorry I don't get to post much. As soon as things kind of stabilize I will be getting on more!

Dana: I recognize your user and your name and am trying to think from where actually! Welcome!

Noelle: I am so excited for you! Have a great time though we will miss you!

Everyone: Jack came home on Thur afternoon and is doing pretty well except EVERYTHING exhausts him. We live in a condo so it is stairs that are the biggest culprit. The bedrooms and bath with the tub etc are upstairs. At least he can use the bathroom downstairs. His meds even out co-pay are costing us $105 a month! That was a big shock. I threw out my menus and worked out new ones that are for he and I. I am doing pretty well there, but of course I have to cook 3 meals a day when I didn't before. That's ok, because I would cook 10 just to have him around and ok!

I have been walking but not regular exercising! Also hauling heavy groceries and packages so I figure I am getting exercise!

Well, I need to get up and going. Today I finish my grocery shopping at the commissary and it is flu vaccines this morning. SO MANY MANY permanent changes to our lives and they all have to happen immediately!

Faye
Old 11-08-2003, 04:11 AM   #19  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone. Just checking in with my final post before my vacation. I had a WI at WW today and am down 1.2 lbs, bringing my total loss to date to 11 lbs . Now to maintain this loss while I'm away (gosh I hope I don't gain ).

Faye, so glad to hear Jack is home again. Sounds like you are a great caretaker for him. Remember to take care of yourself also, I know you are.

Cristi, I will be away for 10 days, returning on the 18th. I'll be sure to catch up with you guys upon my return. I do remember Lynne. Her avatar looks great, love the highlights in her hair. Hope she can join us again.

Janine, Kristen and anyone else I may have missed, have a great weekend and talk with you all when I get back. Love ya gals.

Aloha.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:49 PM   #20  
One day at a time

Hi Ladies~

Noelle, we are going to miss you while you are gone. But have a GREAT time, as I know you will! :flow: CONGRAT'S on another great loss Noelle! You are doing fantastic with WW! WTG

Faye, so glad to hear Jack is better and home. I was so surprised to see that he went home so quick though. Remember to take care of yourself while taking care of him. and we all understand you not posting often-just don't worry about it. You take care of you and Jack and we will see you when you get here.

Hi Janine, Kristen, Jenifer, Dana and anyone I may have missed. Hope you ladies are doing fine.

I am headed to the park for a 3 mile walk so will go ahead and post that. It is chilly outside but I am bored and need some fresh air.

Take care ladies and I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Miles Walked~9.5
11/8/03~3 miles
Old 11-09-2003, 12:44 PM   #21  
Pending Email Confirmation

argh.... don't you hate when you wake up... and all you can feel is a sore throat that you have? that's what happened to me friday, but it wasn't too bad. saturday... the soreness actually woke me up. and today... it was absolute pain. i'm gonna have to go to the doctor and get some meds. blah. that'll be tomorrow though. maybe, for once, i'll actually call in sick!! i'm thinking it's strep. which i'm fine with. i just hope it's not anything else. anything worse, rather!

anyway... so yesterday was weigh in for me at ww. and i dropped another pound! wahoo! which brings me to a total of 60.2! amazing! i can't believe that it's happening to me. it's so odd! so odd! but, of course, i'm happy and proud and all!

but not only that... but the pound that i just lost, dropped my bmi to 30... which means that i'm "overweight" and no longer considered the other o word... "obes*" i refuse to spell that word, cause i hate it. always have. so anyway... i think that fact hit more to home than the fact that i lost 60 pounds. i was just thrilled. i can't even tell you.

hope that you all are having a fantabulous day. i'm sitting here drinking my tea with honey! not that i don't like it... but i'm drinking it so that i will feel better!
Old 11-09-2003, 05:06 PM   #22  
One day at a time

Angry Hi Ladies~

Kristen, sorry to hear about your sore throat and I hope it isn't strep. WTG on reaching 60 whooping pounds gone and your loss this week!! I am so impressed! And getting you bmi down to 30! GREAT JOB!!

Not much going on with me today. Went to Mass and home to change to head to the park for a 3-mile walk. The weather is actually nice today.

Faye, hope you and DH are doing fine.

Hi Janine, Dana and Jenifer, hope you ladies are fine.

Take care ladies.

Miles Walked 11/03~12.5
11/9/03~3 miles
Old 11-10-2003, 01:30 PM   #23  
One day at a time

Hi ladies, Janine, Jenifer, Faye, Dana & Noelle

Noelle, hope you are having a great time in Bangkok.

Faye, how are you and hubby doing? Sending some good vibes and hugs your way. :

Just wanted to post my walk for the day. Even though it is windy as he** I went to the park and did 2 miles and then a mile at home on the treadmill. It is supposed to be 60 today but it sure doesn't feel it.

Take care ladies and have a great day and week! :flow:

Miles 11/03~15.5
11/10/03~3 miles
Old 11-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #24  

Kristen: Here is a definite sure fire remedy for sore throat if you still have one. It doesn't taste bad though it sounds freaky. I guarantee that after about 3 to 4 cups your throat will be heaps better.

Sore Throat remedy:

in a mug pour 8 oz hot water, 1 tbl honey and 1 tbl vinegar. Stir and drink. It takes 3-4 sometimes to work, but every few hours just drink another cup. I took it in a thermos one time to work when I had a horrific sore throat and drank it all day. By the next morning my sore throat was gone! It works every time!

Jack UPDATE: He is doing great, is getting out and walking 10-15 minutes at a stretch and is gaining strength day to day. He can go back to work on Monday if he feels like it or can stay home an extra week depending on how he feels. He doesn't see the doctor again until Dec 9.

As for exercise, I got out and walked the whole mall pushing him in a wheelchair on Saturday and not much Sunday, but walked 2.25 yesterday at the mall. I am getting a little more confident about leaving him, but I make sure I have the cell phone wherever I am and for now am walking in the mall so the car is close by in case of emergencies instead of getting 2 miles away from home and no fast way to get home if something would happen. The menus are working out great! Jack gets good meals, low in fat, salt and sugar, is losing weight a little at a time and I am losing like gangbusters! I lost 5 lbs just since last Thursday! We had a lowfat chicken cordon bleu with bak pot and veggies and ff pineapple upside down cake last night and it was all delicious. You would never have known there were at least half the calories and a lot less fat. If you like to cook and would like some recipes, pm me and I can send some to you. I have everything, seafood, chicken, beef, potatos and even some pasta recipes and some terrific desserts.

Have a great day ladies!

Faye
Old 11-11-2003, 03:47 PM   #25  
One day at a time

Happy Tuesday Ladies~

Faye, I am so glad to hear DH is doing fine and getting around fine. Going back to work already?!

WTG on getting your walking in and your loss! Good job! 5 pounds gone WOOHOO! FF pineapple upside down cake? that sounds yummy.

No walk for me today. Today I did the WATP video and bike ride and while some count the WATP as walking I don't. I just feel like it is more exercising that walking for some reason, even though it is equal to a 2-mile walk. Just me

Hope everyone is having a great day. Take care ladies.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:33 AM   #26  

Hey ladies! Have a "sour" stomach this morning so decided to get up for a little while.

Cristi: Here you go. Hope you enjoy this. It is really spectacular and you wouldn't know it wasn't the "regular" recipe. I use a can of drained crushed instead of rings as I think it gives a better overall pineapple flavor and I substitute Splenda for sugar and use egg beaters instead of egg whites though the other is of course ok.

Fat-Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe By : Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Cakes Low-Fat/Low-Cal Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- No-Stick cooking spray 1/3 cup Brown sugar -- packed 2 tablespoons Light corn syrup (Karo) 1 tablespoon Lemon juice 7 Canned pineapple rings -- well-drained 1 cup Flour 1/4 cup Cornstarch 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder 1/2 teaspoon Salt 1 cup Sugar 2/3 cup Skim milk 2 Egg whites 1/3 cup Light corn syrup (Karo) 1 teaspoon Vanilla Spray 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and lemon juice; stir to combine. Place in 350 F oven 3 minutes. Arrange pineapple rings and cherries in pan; set aside. In large bowl, combine flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt. In medium bowl, stir sugar and milk until sugar is almost dissolved. Add egg whites, corn syrup and vanilla; stir until blended. Gradually add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Pour into pan. Bake in 350 F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately loosen edge of cake with spatula and invert onto serving plate. Remove pan. Each serving provides: 200 Calories, 2 g protein, 47 g carbohydrate, 0 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium

Noelle: Hope you are having a grand time on vacation!

I have been able to get out and walk for the last few days except yesterday. Jack was not feeling well so I didn't want to be away from home (not heart, just exhausted feeling) I convinced him to take another week off before going back to work. I just don't think he is ready to commit to it and when he goes back he has to go back full throttle.

Well, ladies, you have yourselves a good morning!

Faye
Old 11-13-2003, 02:58 PM   #27  
One day at a time

Hi Ladies~

Faye, thanks for the recipe! and hope your stomach gets to feeling better. Glad to hear Jack will be taking another week before going back to work. Hopefully when he does go back he will be able to take things a little easy at first. Glad to hear you guys are doing fine otherwise.

Yes Noelle, I too hope you are having a GREAT time! I just know that you are!

Hi Janine, Jenifer, Dana & Kristen (hope I didn't miss anyone) hope you ladies are fine.

Well, I haven't gotten any exercise done today or yesterday. I had planned on getting a walk on the treadmill sometime today but don't know if that will happen. I have too much going on today. Thought I would sit and take a break and post a little here since I haven't been here in a day or two. I am trying to get organized and my house cleaned. I have 6 bags of stuff that I need to take to the Goodwill tomorrow from cleaning out the closets. I am on a roll.

Anyway, I hope EVERYONE is having a wonderful day! TTFN
Old 11-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #28  
One day at a time

Hello Ladies~

Just wanted to add my miles walked today. It was such a nice day except for the fact I woke up with this horrible headache again. Went to the park and did a 2-mile walk regardless. I was going to do three but the sun was making it worse. Even though I had my shades on I was still squinting and my headache was behind my eyes and across my forehead so the squinting definitely didn't help. I came home and took a 40 minute nap and it seems to be better.

Faye, hope you and hubby are fine. How's Jack getting along?

Noelle, hope you are having a fabulous time on vacation.

Kristen, hope your sore throat is better.

Jenifer, Janine and Dana, hope you ladies are fine.

Almost forgot, I am down 1.5 pounds this week. So even though I didn't get as much exercise in this week as I wanted to overall I guess I didn't do so bad.

Take care ladies Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Oooopsie! Forgot to add my miles:
Miles 11/03~17.5
11/15/03~2 miles

Last edited by FrouFrou; 11-15-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Closed Thread