Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #1  

Default Food Sober Buddies

I very rarely post here, but I am at my wits' end. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I am stressed, bored, sad, frustrated, etc.... Before I emotionally eat I am well aware that my food cravings are due to emotional hunger, not physical hunger. They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to finding the solution. Well, I admitted the problem years ago, but I still haven't found a solution. Don't get me wrong; I don't give in to the cravings every time that I have one. I don't keep "junk" food in my house. I generally don't eat what most would consider "junk" food anyway. I read all food labels. I watch my sodium. I try to eat only grass-fed/grass-finished beef, free-range chicken, and otherwise gmo-free products. I figured that not having "junk" food or excess super yummy healthyish food readily available would solve my problem (you would be surprised how many yummy deserts can be made in a green and ethical way). However, it never occurred to me that having a driver's license almost totally cancels out not having certain foods in the house. Sometimes I am able to practice my yoga breathing and "zen" my way out of jumping in my car to go and purchase the delectable treat that has entered my brain. Many times I am not. At the times when I am getting ready to grab my keys and jump into my car at 10 p.m. at night, I often wish I had a sponsor akin to what alcoholics get when they are in AA; a person to call, email, etc....when I feel inclined to eat more food than my body needs to function at an optimal level.

Does such a thing exist? If so, where can I sign up? I am just soooooooo tired of the roller coaster. I know that I won't be able to seriously lose weight and keep it off until I find away to get the emotional eating under control. I know that it will be impossible to never feel stressed or frustrated again in my life so I need to figure out how to deal with those emotions without turning to food. HELP!!!!!!!!!
DukeGirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeGirl30 View Post
Does such a thing exist? If so, where can I sign up?
Yes, it does exist. Overeaters Anonymous uses sponsors, much like AA. You can read up on them online and in the forum that is sub to this one.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 11-19-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Mrs Snark is right on - OA is an awesome resource.

Have you ever tried planning your day before it starts? I used to abstain from eating almost all day, then crash and eat something and eat and eat because I wasn't balancing my diet.

Once I sat down and wrote (I actually type it)
Breakfast:
Snack:
Lunch:
Snack:
Dinner:
Snack:
TOTAL:

then I was able to play around with my numbers to make sure I was getting a good number of calories and adequate nutrition. I found that the binging behavior stopped all together because I gave myself a real concrete plan of what I was going to eat, not only what I wasn't going to eat.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #4  

Thanks for the support and the suggestions!!! I have done the writing out everything I eat with my fitnesspal. It became ultra time consuming and I got obsessive with it. I am most likely undiagnosed OCD. I should start doing it again though, because when I was sticking to it, it worked to keep me in check.
DukeGirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote