Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315.1/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 7"

Red face I'm not sure how to stop the... sound

I posted this in another thread but then saw this board. If someone wants to delete the other one then that would be awesome but...

OK, this is embarrassing but, where else can a girl ask a question like this?!

Tonight, I ran down to get the mail.... literally! While, I loved the way it felt and I know I want to add running to my routine, There is one thing I didn't like: The slapping sound of my fat. It's LOUD! I was wearing compression pants but it still happened. How on earth can I bring myself to run in public if I'm going to be applauding myself down the trail?!

So, the question is... any other big girls run? And, if so, how do you contain the slapping sounds?
therecoveringfatchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd like to know how to contain this too! I have so many floppy saggy parts now, when I run it's sounds like a helicopter about to take off.
Micki k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Lol. Sorry don't mean to laugh but I think it happens to all of us.
I run with a friend who is a marathon runner. So....no flabby bits on her. She doesn't seem to notice any unusual noises.

I think we just have to face our fears and do it. Let people say or think what they want. At least we are doing something about it.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I think you should get some pants that are made of really noisy material, can't think of the name of it but you know what I'm talking about? A lot of gym type clothes are made of it. Then you can just blame it on the pants. Micki K haha your post made me laugh so much lol, et us know if you do ever take flight.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

It will always be loud to you. Just like eating cereal or chips is loud to you. I promise, no one else hears it, and if they do, they think it is your feet hitting the ground. It took my running partner to point out to me that the only thing he hears is his own heart beat and that I sure as heck couldn't hear that anymore than he could hear my "imagined" slapping (although, I KNOW it wasn't imagined!) before I felt comfortable jsut going with it.

Last edited by zoesmom; 11-04-2013 at 08:38 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 315.1/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 7"

Ok... suck it up... that's what I'm getting and... that's what I'll do. I guess someone or something should applaud my efforts! Thanks guys!
therecoveringfatchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, this happens to me, especially when I do jumping jacks. VERY embarrassing, but hey, what do you do? I just make sure I'm alone when I exercise.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

if it's actually hurting you or rubbing you raw or something uncomfortable, there are a ton of various compression garments for most parts of your body

but if it's just the sound that's bothering you, you could either live with it like the others said or still invest in various compression garments for your own peace of mind
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I'm a big girl and a runner

I know that noise but I've never let it bother me and I'm pretty sure as others have said, no one else notices it.

I do wear tight spandex running capris and tight tanktops (and a shirt over that depending on the weather) and it seems to hold everything in and keep it from flopping around.

I too notice it more when I do things like jumping jacks.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecoveringfatchic View Post
Ok... suck it up... that's what I'm getting and... that's what I'll do. I guess someone or something should applaud my efforts! Thanks guys!
You're probably the only one that hears it--because you're self conscience is working overtime.

Just go with the flow--laugh about it--and think to yourself--can I make this clap louder and go for it.

Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #11  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Well I am what people are now calling thin...and in fantastic shape...I am 61...AND my butt claps everytime I do jumping jacks ect!!! As others say our past or currant fat is clapping for US!!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

To quiet the noise, I wear a pair of microfiber underwear that covers all floppy parts and compression pants. This tends to deaden the slapping. UGH. So embarrassing.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote