Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default TED Talk about obesity

Stunning talk about obesity by Dr. Peter Attia.

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia...aign=ios-share
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Wow! I am very impressed with this video. Thank you for posting it!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3  
diamondgeog

Thanks. That was a great talk. This has been my most successful weight loss and I had come to the same conclusions. Carbs were my problem and I was getting very insulin resistant.

Where I differ is for me whole grains are still a big problem. We were eating whole grain bread and pasta for years. Cutting those out make a big difference. Eating carbs was making me more hungry, lethargic, on the way to very sick.

The obesity was a result of insulin resistance in many ways. But that insulin resistance was happening because of my diet choices. So you get to the same starting point in many ways. But still VERY important because we can focus on what diets lead to insulin resistance. I think clearly then high carbs, even unrefined, should and hopefully will become the focus.

Thankfully your body's very metabolism CAN change. You can go from carb storage to carb usage. Carb counters is great here. I posted about it. Mark's Daily Apple is a wonderful site. He markets it as plaeo but really the heart of it is all about carbs.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 11-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #4  
diamondgeog

I started this weight loss journey by googling info. I remember putting in why am I so hungry after fast food. Tired in the afternoon. So lethargic. Well does were three separate searches.

But they all triangulated to carbs. ALL. My body, bloodwork, diet, huge gut, lethargy, all carbs. For me. Might be different for others. So why so many Americans are insulin resistant is huge. And I am squarely on high carb diets as a big or the biggest culprit.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 11-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Interesting lecture. Thanks for posting!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I found his blog site. I like it a lot too. http://eatingacademy.com/start-here
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212.6/ticker!/119

Height: 4'11''

Thanks for the great resources
Jamiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #8  
diamondgeog

Found this awesome talk by Jamie Oliver while there.¦

http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

Mark Bittman has great one also.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Kudos! Thanks for posting. This for me is the heart of the matter.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks for posting the fantastic TED talk. What a powerful, touching ending!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #11  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
I started this weight loss journey by googling info. I remember putting in why am I so hungry after fast food. Tired in the afternoon. So lethargic. Well does were three separate searches.

But they all triangulated to carbs. ALL. My body, bloodwork, diet, huge gut, lethargy, all carbs. For me. Might be different for others. So why so many Americans are insulin resistant is huge. And I am squarely on high carb diets as a big or the biggest culprit.
Same for me... and it was eating them again that led to the regain.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I let myself go from thanksgiving till spring and managed to gain back 20 lbs that I had worked really hard to drop. I did that with brandy and carbs....a really deadly combo. I have been back on track now for about 4 weeks. I feel so much better. I don't know how I can forget how much easier it is when I manage the carbs.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
I let myself go from thanksgiving till spring and managed to gain back 20 lbs that I had worked really hard to drop. I did that with brandy and carbs....a really deadly combo. I have been back on track now for about 4 weeks. I feel so much better. I don't know how I can forget how much easier it is when I manage the carbs.
Things "went to he$$ in a hand-basket" for me when we went to Croatia two summers ago... that was the beginning of the trouble. I was DOING GREAT around that time. But... while there, we walked, hiked, swam daily. BUT... avoiding carbs along the coast especially? IMPOSSIBLE. I had so much bread a that is a staple. When we came back I had gained 20 pounds in a month. Five were water, the rest was actual weight. Now... I hadn't gone totally crazy... a bit crazy, but not CRAZY... and we weren't sitting around all day. We were active!!! and 15 true pounds in a MONTH???

Then, I started to whittle away at that weight... gained during the holidays... whittled away again, but it was going much, much, much slower and I had some injuries keeping me from the gym eventually... By summer, I just "gave up".

I knew it wasn't a permanent "give up" but it was much more than I EVER thought it would be... and so much of that feeling of "ugh" was from eating carbs.

They taste sooooooooo good (the taste for them never went away), but they make me feel so bad! I have got to stay away from them - for good.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #14  
Melissa

Blogged about it today Wannabeskinny. Thanks for finding it. I've been thinking on this for a couple days.

http://melissaslife42.blogspot.com/2...hts-on-it.html
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Things "went to he$$ in a hand-basket" for me when we went to Croatia two summers ago... that was the beginning of the trouble. I was DOING GREAT around that time. But... while there, we walked, hiked, swam daily. BUT... avoiding carbs along the coast especially? IMPOSSIBLE. I had so much bread a that is a staple. When we came back I had gained 20 pounds in a month. Five were water, the rest was actual weight. Now... I hadn't gone totally crazy... a bit crazy, but not CRAZY... and we weren't sitting around all day. We were active!!! and 15 true pounds in a MONTH???

Then, I started to whittle away at that weight... gained during the holidays... whittled away again, but it was going much, much, much slower and I had some injuries keeping me from the gym eventually... By summer, I just "gave up".

I knew it wasn't a permanent "give up" but it was much more than I EVER thought it would be... and so much of that feeling of "ugh" was from eating carbs.

They taste sooooooooo good (the taste for them never went away), but they make me feel so bad! I have got to stay away from them - for good.
Yes. I can have all the knowledge in the world but sometimes, I couldn't care less and my innate desires for feeding take over whatever health/weight goals I have. Lack of knowledge/awareness certainly isn't the issue for most of us lol - Google reveals all. Its just points on life when ya just don't care - even if they are occasional and most of the time I do care, those moments can be frequent enough to derail any progress.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote