Old 11-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Default Ok, so the big question is...

How do I handle Thanksgiving? We're going to my cousin's house, and she knows I'm on this program... but I still don't really know if I should bring my own food or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

I just had thanksgiving here at my house. First off don't sweat it! Why not bring a nice big tray of fresh veggies with you! Make it yourself so there will be 99% IP friendly veggies (green peppers, celery, cucumbers ect) So you have your veggies covered just in case any veggies there are smothered in something! Have some turkey and enjoy! Bring a RTD shake with you, pour it in a glass with some ice and all is good! Bring a restricted if you need "dessert" when everyone else is mowing through pie! Also bring a cappuccino packet if need be LOL
You an enjoy it with out whipping out a silver packet in front of everyone!
HTH!

Last edited by sarahBell; 11-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 245.6/CW 203/GW 170

Thanx! That's a good idea... I'll probably do that!
scottysgirl7682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm baking a dish similar to this one below. I did it for Easter, when I wasn't on IP. I had put potatoes in it and cheese on top. There's also onions on the bottom. All can be changed! Try mushrooms on the bottom andturnips or jicama instead and the dish will be a hit for people on IP and not! Also, there's a great pumpkin pie recipe in the recipe 4 thread that i've made. Our local grocery store, Albertsons had the 5" disposable pie pans that i'll make mine in so that I can have dessert! It uses two packets so you can eat just one half!

http://www.recipebyphoto.com/veggie-spiral/

WE GOT THIS!
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
I'm baking a dish similar to this one below. I did it for Easter, when I wasn't on IP. I had put potatoes in it and cheese on top. There's also onions on the bottom. All can be changed! Try mushrooms on the bottom andturnips or jicama instead and the dish will be a hit for people on IP and not! Also, there's a great pumpkin pie recipe in the recipe 4 thread that i've made. Our local grocery store, Albertsons had the 5" disposable pie pans that i'll make mine in so that I can have dessert! It uses two packets so you can eat just one half!

http://www.recipebyphoto.com/veggie-spiral/

WE GOT THIS!
I think I am going to try making that! It looks good!
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #6  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

We are visiting relatives also. I think they are more concerned about what to feed me then I am. They don't know about IP, just that I'm a vegetarian and watching my carbs. I'm bringing a veggie tray, deviled eggs, cauli rice and tofu/veggie stir fry. Maybe not traditional Turkey Day food, but it works for me. Might indulge in a White Chocolate Raspberry Quest bar later in the day.
SuzieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #7  

I bumped a thanksgiving thread that has LOTS of links this morning. I'd link to it here but I'm in my phone right now
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

I am doing TWO Thanksgiving meals at our house this year - the believers and the non believers. That is said somewhat tongue in cheek. Daughter and her husband are on IP and were the ones who inspired me to join. He has lost 90 pounds, she has lost nearly 70 and they look maarrrveeelous.

So we will have our salad, devilled eggs and fresh turkey (have never cooked one myself as we normally have Honey Baked Ham) and she will bring some gourmet veggie dishes she has learned on IP.

For the rest, I will be making cornbread stuffing, biscuits, country gravy, mashed potatoes, hash brown potatoes (my son and DH do not agree on potatoes) and a wonderful peanut butter and chocolate mousse. That at least I can scale down the recipe to make two individual servings so that I do not have tempting leftovers which might call to me in the middle of the night.

So my challenge is to cook meal #2 for husband and son without losing my 100% but I can tell you know that I am back on the wagon for sure! For those who are thinking 'why is she catering to these guys?', my son is home from college and very homesick for a traditional family Thanksgiving. DH is home from surgery and I am not going to have a discussion about his health until he has recovered.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #9  
Just doin' it!

S/C/G: 176/153/135

Height: 5'3"

Hey there Scottysgirl...I am too traveling to a location where I am not the primary cook. I plan on having some juicy turkey!! I also emailed my aunt, explained my goals and told her I didn't want to offend her but I might bring some 'safe' sides for me. I'm just going to heat up a can of green beans is all. I plan on having a shake on the drive over and taking an extra packet for the drive home. I will also be taking a pudding cup for my own dessert
Best of luck...you got this!!
airportchick11 is offline   Reply With Quote